Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM  
Supporter

Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread

Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408

Last edited by Buehler445; 03-02-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #1591
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
On. Why not? They make a griddle exactly for this kind of thing, the only difference between the two is a grease channel.

http://www.bakingsteel.com/baking-steel-griddle/

I'll put a cookie sheet under it to catch any drips.
Then why not just use cast iron?

That's where I keep getting back to - what does this do that cast iron wouldn't? If all you're doing is looking for a really hot patch of straight surface contact, taking a blow-torch to a cast iron skillet is going to accomplish the same thing and it's going to clean up a hell of a lot easier.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #1592
"Think BOOM!"

I rubbed my butt last night, overnight in the fridge and just put it in the oven, covered liberally with garlic and sweet onions. 10 hours to go at 250, and then I'll pull my butt apart.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I rubbed my butt last night, overnight in the fridge and just put it in the oven, covered liberally with garlic and sweet onions. 10 hours to go at 250, and then I'll pull my butt apart.
We cooked a whole hog for the Super Bowl...I'm still coming up with uses for pulled pork (though it's probably time to pitch the leftovers).

My last effort was taquitos; shredded the pork and mixed it with some cowboy beans I made, a little sour cream, some lime juice and a dash of crushed chipotle (essentially tastes like smokey cayenne).

Wrapped it in corn tortillas, put some vegetable oil on there to brown them and then baked them at 400.

Surprising good for a thrown together idea.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #1594
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Then why not just use cast iron?

That's where I keep getting back to - what does this do that cast iron wouldn't? If all you're doing is looking for a really hot patch of straight surface contact, taking a blow-torch to a cast iron skillet is going to accomplish the same thing and it's going to clean up a hell of a lot easier.
Mass of the steel retains/transfers heat better and faster. I have a Lodge 12-inch CI skillet at about 8 pounds; I have the "Big" steel, at 30. Even the standard is 15 pounds. Much, much more heat stored, which I presume is what AB is excited about - being able to transfer heat faster and create a better crust in less time.

RE: cleanup, sometimes you take the hit to try something different.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #1595
Politically Incorrect

Last week while on a big sale. I bought boneless chicken thighs with skin on them. I'm ready to take them out of the freezer this weekend to prepare.

I've never cooked them before as I'm normally a skinless breast guy that I use for a stir fry or cooked in pan on stove then oven to finish.

What is the best way to cook these?

I do not have a crock pot or slow cooker. I'm considering marinating them first in Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade.

Any suggestions?
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Last week while on a big sale. I bought boneless chicken thighs with skin on them. I'm ready to take them out of the freezer this weekend to prepare.

I've never cooked them before as I'm normally a skinless breast guy that I use for a stir fry or cooked in pan on stove then oven to finish.

What is the best way to cook these?

I do not have a crock pot or slow cooker. I'm considering marinating them first in Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade.

Any suggestions?
Grill 'em.

The end.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #1597
Scarlett Johansson's boytoy

I had a buffet at KC Joes. Goddamn the burnt ends were on point, and the ribs were fantastic.
mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.mikeyis4dcats. is too fat/Omaha.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #1598
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Grill 'em.

The end.
How long do you recommend on the grill so they don't dry out?
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #1599
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Be sure to brine them so they don't dry out. Here is a simple brine I use on chicken :
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/170656/...chicken-brine/
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #1600
Keepin it Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlyon View Post
Be sure to brine them so they don't dry out. Here is a simple brine I use on chicken :
I use Italian dressing. Throw them in a bag for a minimum of four hours. Fire up the Traeger, turn it up to 350, throw some rub on em. Takes an hour or so. Skins usually bite through.
Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #1601

Quote:
Thighs are so hard to dry out. My biggest concern has generally been burning the outsides.

I usually use a 2-stage fire and cook them over indirect until the outside starts to brown up (20-30 minutes? Honestly, I really don't recall; it could easily be longer). Then I remove my grate, spread my coals and give them a 5-10 minute shot with direct heat (the coals are dying at that point so it's not real hot anymore) to crisp up the skin a bit. Finally I put sauce on and give them about 1-2 minutes/side until; just long enough for the sauce to start to char, then I turn them and sauce the other side. I usually do two coats/side.

Chicken thighs are so very forgiving that I've been eyeballing them for years. Sorry for not giving you better time/temp figures.

I honestly don't even bother brining dark meat. I sprinkle some seasoning I really like called Willingham's Wham on there (cajunish with much less salt than most cajun rubs) and it forms a nice little texture for sauce to adhere to. You could probably skip the sauce outright, truth be told.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunit35 View Post
I use Italian dressing. Throw them in a bag for a minimum of four hours. Fire up the Traeger, turn it up to 350, throw some rub on em. Takes an hour or so. Skins usually bite through.
And this is why I've never taken the plunge on the Traeger.

I've messed with my step-dads and despite my best efforts, I just can't get them to generate enough eat to truly finish anything I grill.

If they'd have a nitrous button on those things that you could push and goose it to 700 degrees or so, I'd take a shot. But when you're capped at around 500 degrees, you're just using an oven outside at that point.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #1603
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlyon View Post
If I decide to marinate them instead, what's your best guess to time? 12-15 minutes?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #1604
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Thighs are so hard to dry out. My biggest concern has generally been burning the outsides.

I usually use a 2-stage fire and cook them over indirect until the outside starts to brown up (20-30 minutes? Honestly, I really don't recall). Then I remove my grate, spread my coals and give them a 5-10 minute shot with direct heat (the coals are dying at that point so it's not real hot anymore) to crisp up the skin a bit. Finally I put sauce on and give them about 1-2 minutes/side until; just long enough for the sauce to start to char, then I turn them and sauce the other side. I usually do two coats/side.

Chicken thighs are so very forgiving that I've been eyeballing them for years. Sorry for not giving you better time/temp figures.

I honestly don't even bother brining dark meat. I sprinkle some seasoning I really like called Willingham's Wham on there (cajunish with much less salt than most cajun rubs) and it forms a nice little texture for sauce to adhere to. You could probably skip the sauce outright, truth be told.
Truer words have never been spoken. If you dried out thighs, you burned them bad.

You want them about 175F if you use a thermometer.

I also don't marinate. Thighs don't need it.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #1605
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
Truer words have never been spoken. If you dried out thighs, you burned them bad.

You want them about 175F if you use a thermometer.

I also don't marinate. Thighs don't need it.
What about if you want to add to create flavor not moisture? You're still not a fan?

I had this in mind.