Home Mail Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

View Poll Results: Should U.S. businesses and individuals obey Trump's orders?
Yes, businesses and individuals should obey his orders. 3 17.65%
Only businesses should obey his orders. 1 5.88%
Only individuals should obey his orders. 0 0%
No one is is not an employee of the executive branch should obey his orders. 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2019, 12:33 PM  
MVP

Should U.S. Businesses (and individuals) Obey Trump's Orders?

So, what do you think? He's the Prez. Should American Businesses follow his orders?

What about ordinary citizens who are not business owners? If he gives them orders, should they follow them?

Poll Coming.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-s...ives-to-china/

Trump orders U.S. companies to "start looking for alternatives" to China

President Donald Trump is ordering U.S. businesses to "immediately start looking for an alternative to China," including bringing their manufacturing back to the U.S. The president issued the directive in a series of tweets on Friday morning after China hiked tariffs on $75 billion of U.S. products.

Mr. Trump's tweets heighten trade tensions between the world's biggest economies, with China's latest countermeasures coming in retaliation for planned U.S. tariff hikes on roughly $300 billion in Chinese imports planned for next month and in December.

"Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA," Mr. Trump tweeted. "I will be responding to China's Tariffs this afternoon."

Mr. Trump added he is "ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE,....all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!). Fentanyl kills 100,000 Americans a year. President Xi said this would stop - it didn't."

Investors, jittery over the trade war's impact on the global economy sent U.S. markets sharply lower after Mr. Trump's tweets. The Dow dropped almost 360 points, or 1.4%, to 25,894, while the broader S&P 500 and tech-heavy Nasdaq each fell more than 1%.

China's move to hike tariffs on U.S. imports represents "another tit-for-tat move and could increase the risk that President Trump will decide to raise the recent tariffs from 10% up to 25%," said Brian Rose, senior Americas economist at UBS Global Wealth Management, in a research note. "In our view, 25% tariffs would cause considerable economic damage and greatly increase the probability of a US recession in 2020."
NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #46
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerDoug View Post
I think Bill Maher may have been the first one to start talking about that possibility vis e vie the 2020 election.

I wish he had not. It's kind of a crappy thing to wish for, as it ****s up the lives of lots of working people. And really, what's the point?

It's not like a call to action. "So and so should do x y and z to defeat Trump."

It's more like, "I hope Trump has a heart attack."

Such things are better kept to one's self.
Bill Maher is one of those who scream the loudest.
Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bump is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
Bill Maher is one of those who scream the loudest.
He also has a lot of intelligent things to say. By way of example, he is very much down right now on the woke idiots who want to apply their own 21st Century Millennial standards to people 30 or 40 years ago, when standards were different.

He says, flat out, they're full of shit. These are people on the far left he is attacking.

I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but there is no denying he does have a lot of intelligent things to say.
NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.NinerDoug is too fat/Omaha.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #48
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
Anyone dependent on suppliers in China should take advantage of Trumpís gracious, if awkwardly worded, warning to prepare for more trade war.
That's the way I take his message too, but sometimes the jokes write themselves when he tweets.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #49
Starter

Quote:
How so?
Pulled this stunt the night of the election. The markets plunged as it became clear he was gonna get elected and then the next morning the markets were (I think record-breakingly) high
He used to do this with his dad in the 80s. His dad would buy the stock, Donald would conjure up a press item about himself buying a stake in the company, the price would go up and his father would sell.
Sorry has disabled reputation
Old 08-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #50
Bring it on Ahab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
Pulled this stunt the night of the election. The markets plunged as it became clear he was gonna get elected and then the next morning the markets were (I think record-breakingly) high
He used to do this with his dad in the 80s. His dad would buy the stock, Donald would conjure up a press item about himself buying a stake in the company, the price would go up and his father would sell.
That happens during every election. Market goes down, then goes up.

This is Taco level paranoia. I implore you to find a hobby or have sex with a human person. Whichever is missing.
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #51
Sapere Aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
Obey? Never.
Actively seek supply chain alternatives to minimize China’s ability to impact our economy? Immediately.
Same diff.

Trump has already created the escape routes with trade deals all over Asia and getting iron out in Europe. Trump is about to pull the big maneuver and yank the rug out from underneath China's feet.
Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.Taco John is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:53 AM   #52
Veteran

Trumptards curiously absent from the voting itt (with a few exceptions)
RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.RodeoPants2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #53
My work speaks for itself!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2 View Post
Trumptards curiously absent from the voting itt (with a few exceptions)
This shouldnt be about "trumptards" or "libtards".

See Amnorix's post on page 1 - summed it up quite nicely.

You are (again) letting your emotions and hatred for Trump prevent you from seeing the forest for the trees.

Yes - Trump says/tweets insensitive things. Yes, he uses words no other president probably ever has.

But if you're going to let your emotions stop right there, without scraping below the surface of Don Lemon's talking points, you're often missing the point.

Especially with this one. American businesses should be moving their production, etc. back to american soil.

find a way to be competitive here.

Dems LOVE to bitch about the 1%, and how big bad corporations make so much profit, etc. etc. Isnt it time to stop taking advantage of slave-labor costs in China (or for that matter, illegal immigrant labor in the USA as well)? Maybe make a little less profit, but better for america, overall? Isnt that a dem talking point?

US companies can survive with production/manufacturing here on US soil - and there's not a damn thing wrong with a president urging them on to do so.
DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DJJasonp is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #54
MVP

Quote:
". . . are hereby ordered . . . "

That non-order sure looks like an order to me.
If you want to be 'to a T' accurate, this is what he said...

Quote:
Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China
Meaning they could simply say today, tomorrow, 8 thousand years from now "yep, we are still looking"

Kinda similar to me saying Niner, I'm gonna mail you a check for 10 million dollars.... as soon as I get around to it
Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush View Post
Remember when a falling unemployment rate during the Obama years was disputed by Republicans because people had "given up looking for work"?

That's just one example, but Republicans were just as eager to see Obama fail, even at the expense of the country. This isn't a new thing.
You understand the labor participation rate, right? Obviously not...
IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.IowaHawkeyeChief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
I've been avoiding Chinese products for more than a decade now, not for any political reasons, but simply because most Chinese products I might be interested in are generally of poor quality.

On the bright side, because of my self-imposed restriction concerning Chinese-made products, I no longer spend very much time in Wally World.
I go out of my way to buy Made in America. It's not always possible, but I do when I can
Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.Over Yonder threw an interception on a screen pass.