Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM  
Supporter

Still looks like a Sutton Defense...

Preseason, yes so not going all in on this but right now it looks like teams will own the middle of the field on us. Hope that changes come week #1

Run D looks much better though
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #46
Curmudgeon

We would have stopped them on the 1st series if it wasn't for a holding call. The run defense is much better. That's what killed us last year.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:25 PM   #47
SuperBowl or bust

The defense swarmed to the ball and there weren’t as many missed tackles as we have grown accustomed to. So, that’s nice.

If he can stay healthy, Chris Jones is going to have a massive season. That dude did whatever he wanted to do out there. It was great to see. He looks improved from an already dominant player.

This team is going to win the super bowl.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #48
In Search of a Life

The most important thing go to me is Spags clearly understands how you beat Tom Brady in big games - you gamble and hope your guys get there.

The fact that we have Mahomes makes a gambling defense soooooo much more of a good strategy. Think about it - late in the game if we gamble and lose - quick score, defense not exhausted, and maybe we can score last. If we gamble and win - game over.

Sutton was a master at setting up his defense to give up the slow, clock-eating, soul-destroying drive late in the game. No big plays though! He was such a pussy when it came to any kind of blitz or gambling defense. He kept pretending he had '85 Bears talent, and was too old to adapt. His defenses played not to be embarrassed.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #49
EvOlVeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
The most important thing go to me is Spags clearly understands how you beat Tom Brady in big games - you gamble and hope your guys get there.

The fact that we have Mahomes makes a gambling defense soooooo much more of a good strategy. Think about it - late in the game if we gamble and lose - quick score, defense not exhausted, and maybe we can score last. If we gamble and win - game over.

Sutton was a master at setting up his defense to give up the slow, clock-eating, soul-destroying drive late in the game. No big plays though! He was such a pussy when it came to any kind of blitz or gambling defense. He kept pretending he had '85 Bears talent, and was too old to adapt. His defenses played not to be embarrassed.
but yet even avoiding embarrasment, that backfired
Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #50
Bring it on Ahab!

Long season,but I think people around here are expecting too much from this defense. If they're not in the bottom 1/3 of the league I'll be surprised. Just don't be in the bottom 3. Yanno?
WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.WhiteWhale is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #51
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhead View Post
but yet even avoiding embarrasment, that backfired
As it usually does.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #52
Banned

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a big improvement.
Bigmod is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #53
testing ... 1, 2, 3

I saw nothing tonight from the 1st team that reminded me of Sutton's defense. Except, of course, for the fact that Sorensen was very active and near the action most of the night (and certain obvious elements of the pass defense).

There was no Dee Ford or Justin Houston, but I can't say they were particularly missed. It did seem a little strange that Scandrick and Nelson weren't grabbing guys downfield all night. In fact (while the 1s were on the field), I think the only defensive holding call we got was on a backer who tugged the tight end's jersey as the enemy was making his primary cut.

The run game defense looks improved (again, just talking about the 1s here) while the coverage was generally poor (which was the only stark similarity I perceived). Pick plays and the short-to-intermediate throws remain problematic, apparently. One would hope that the communication on the back end would be better.

Overall, I think it's fair to say that the defense plays with a noticeably different (and improved) attitude. The fact that Honey Badger wasn't on the field is important to remember.

If we can fix the communication problems among the backs and backers, we'll know more. As of now, however, I see no reason to compare this outing to the defense we fielded last season. We may be worse or we may be better, but (other than blown coverages and our difficulty dealing with intermediate crossers) we are not the same.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #54
testing ... 1, 2, 3

I saw nothing tonight from the 1st team that reminded me of Sutton's defense. Except, of course, for the fact that Sorensen was very active and near the action most of the night (and certain obvious elements of the pass defense).

There was no Dee Ford or Justin Houston, but I can't say they were particularly missed. It did seem a little strange that Scandrick and Nelson weren't grabbing guys downfield all night. In fact (while the 1s were on the field), I think the only defensive holding call we got was on a backer who tugged the tight end's jersey as the enemy was making his primary cut.

The run game defense looks improved (again, just talking about the 1s here) while the coverage was generally poor (which was the only stark similarity I perceived). Pick plays and the short-to-intermediate throws remain problematic, apparently. One would hope that the communication on the back end would be better.

Overall, I think it's fair to say that the defense plays with a noticeably different (and improved) attitude. The fact that Honey Badger wasn't on the field is important to remember.

If we can fix the communication problems among the backs and backers, we'll know more. As of now, however, I see no reason to compare this outing to the defense we fielded last season. We may be worse or we may be better, but (other than blown coverages and our difficulty dealing with intermediate crossers) we are not the same.

FAX
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #55
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmod View Post
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a big improvement.
The 1st team run defense sure does.
TEX has disabled reputation
Old 08-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #56
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post

FAX
Excellent points, Fax. I just see a lot of not getting off the field which I guess is what gives me flashbacks of Sutton. Especially conversions over the middle. Everyone knows the LB spot this year is questionable. I do think they are different from a speed and attitude perspective and as I said in the OP, the run D looks better.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #57
💩 Village Idiot 💩

Imo until MO and HoneyB are starting and getting regular snaps, we won't be able to see the defense at it's full potential. Those two are vets who have seen everything the NFL has to offer and that experience will be vital to how far this defense can go. The run D and pass rush looks very decent imo so we just need the secondary to at least perform at an average to decent level.
UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.UChieffyBugger < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #58
Veteran

People have to understand improvement won't happen overnight. This will be a work in progress, and what counts is where we are by the time the playoffs start.

If we're better against the run (which early indicators say we are), and have a decent pass rush (Clark, Okafor, Jones and Kpass should be good), we'll be better overall than last year and get a few more stops. That's what we need.

I'm not expecting the 85 Bears' D. I am expecting a top 15 defense by the playoffs.
kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #59
MVP

The defense looks like an actual NFL defense this year. Not elite, but not a a dumpster fire either. Just a typical NFL defense. Last year was BAD. I think people are forgetting how bad that forecast looked this time last year.

-Scrambling for Scrandrick around this time.
-People still were hoping Eric Berry was going to return early in the season (LOL)
-They begged Ron Parker to come back AND HAD TO START HIM even though everyone on Earth knew he was done/terrible
-Sorenson broke his thigh.

The whole thing really revolved around "Oh Berry will be back, early, week 3, then week 6, then week 9, then maybe playoffs." This time last year he was "Day to Day"

Just like the Colts did now with Luck. "Oh it's just a calf issue, we are optimistic for week 1." Oh really, you are.

You don't have any of that this year with this defense. Your prized FA high paid cornerstones are all healthy and PLAYING. Once they all start flying around and figure it out they will be okay.

Last edited by mcaj22; 08-25-2019 at 07:50 AM..
mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #60
Veteran

Honey Badger >>>>> Berry

Thornhill > Lucas

Breeland + Mo Claiborne > Nelson/Scandrick

Frank Clark + Okafor >>>> Houston/Ford (against the run)

Frank Clark + Okafor = Houston/Ford (pass rush)

Hitchens in 4-3 > Hitchens in 3-4

Spaggs > Sutton

Kpass in 4-3 >>>>> Kpass in 3-4

I really am expecting significant improvement as the season goes on. What matters the most is how these guys play once January begins.
kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.kcclone must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #61
In Search of a Life

I think we need to change our lens here in terms of what we’re seeing the defense or what we think the defense needs to be.

This is an offensive juggernaut and the franchise is built around the offense. They aren’t going to be nor do they really need a dominant defense. It’s just not gonna happen.

But, they’re trying to really develop a different defensive mindset which is the beat thing they could do. Play fast aggressive physical football.

They aren’t gonna be the 85 bears. That’s fine. Force turnovers, get some stops and be aggressive

If you give up some scores, shit happens
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.