Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 07-03-2015, 03:48 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right.

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg
Views:	6151
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	110157   Click image for larger version

Name:	11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg
Views:	5766
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	110158   Click image for larger version

Name:	11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg
Views:	6161
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	110159   Click image for larger version

Name:	11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg
Views:	6090
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	110160  
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #121
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I am guessing the ad I see for brisket sold in a bag for $2.99/lb is not the quality you are looking for?
I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just ****ing lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #122
BAMF

2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker
jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #123
Has a particular set of skills

Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #124
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
That's a butcher pack? Pretty much what you'd buy anywhere. And that price matches what I saw when I was in Missouri over Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post
I typically get mine for 2.50 a pound, but sometimes I'm just ****ing lazy and don't want to do all the trimming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspchief View Post
2.96/lb for whole brisket is pretty typical around here. Problem I have is fitting them in my smoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Yeah thats not a bad price for the bag. It should smoke up nicely.
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #125
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
So there's nothing wrong with going with one of those? What this $6/lb and up type brisket you guys are talking about ($12 KC!!)? Straight from the butcher?

$6 is cheap for me, but I'm in Alabama. Beef down here is expensive.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #126
Shit

Quote:
Not a thing wrong with those
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #127
BAMF

Quote:
They arent trimmed, it's the point and flat. A lot of people only consider the flat the "good" part. But for smoking, they're fine. I suggest watching a video on how to slice brisket, separate the point from the flat, etc.
jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #128
In Search of a Life

Here and there I will get a trimmed one if I am just feeling lazy as hell and I want a quick smoked brisket. That's hardly a thing for me though.

Trimmed is much higher per pound, but you're also not paying X dollars for pounds of fat. If you like real lean meat, than that's a bit of a bonus. Learn how to trim your own meat though, and save some money.

I'm more partial to the packer brisket as the cap is lovely for doing BBQ (burnt ends).
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #129
In Search of a Life

Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #130
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
Has anyone ever both smoked and sous vide a brisket? I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours then throwing into sous vide for a day or two. Maybe at 140 degrees. I don't know what the best process is.

That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #131
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
That's the way to do it, IYAM. Smoke to 140 to maximize time in the smoke, pull it from the smoker, cool it, bag it, sous vide it.

Never done it myself.

And now that I think about it, maybe you sous vide it first, then cool it, then smoke it up to serving temp...

Hmmmm.... I think you need to test it both ways and report back. Either way, I think you need to cool it between cooking methods.
That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #132
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
That is interesting. I saw a modernist cuisine article that suggested 7 hours at 149 in the smoke, then 140 degrees in the sous vide for 72 hours. I don't worry about low and slow for thinner cuts but don't know if I should be worried for thicker cuts for brisket. Bringing the brisket up to temperature in the smoke feels safer to me. Then how long should I toss into the sous vide? I'm guessing maintain at the 140 degrees.

Actually for safety, I think you'd want to sous vide second. The long cook time at 140 would pasteurize the meat within a couple hours. I'd just worried about washing out the smoke flavor.

Totally worth testing though, IMO.

If brisket weren't $6+/pound here, I'd try that myself.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #133
Baba Ganoush

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

About to slap these baby backs on my WSM.

In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #134
Fish are scared of me

Nice, you need to buy a real grill though
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #135
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer View Post
Nice, you need to buy a real grill though
This is a smoker.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.