Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-19-2022, 11:40 AM  
Veteran

Legal Help

Hey all, I need some advice,

As you all know I posted I was in an accident in April, I was driving a passenger for lyft. Lyft insurance deductible is 2500.00 and since I had a passenger my insurance will not come into play.

I am going to take the driver to court and ask for 10,000.00, that amount included the damage to my car, lost wages, court fees, and car depreciation. My questing is may I include the owner of the car in my lawsuit? The driver and the owner are two different people.
Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #16
WhatUneed2Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reroka View Post
The drive who hit me, sorry,

The driver rear-ended me.
At least it wasn't Billay
Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.Imon Yourside is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Wait, the car wasn't insured, or the kid wasn't insured? Assuming the kid was a legal driver, the car's policy should still apply. At least that's always been my understanding.
Both.
Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Reroka must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:50 PM   #18
Kind of a mod

I guess I'm confused why Lyft's policy wouldn't apply. They specifically call out uninsured motorist coverage in their online docs:

https://help.lyft.com/hc/e/all/artic...rty%20coverage
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #19
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I guess I'm confused why Lyft's policy wouldn't apply. They specifically call out uninsured motorist coverage in their online docs:

https://help.lyft.com/hc/e/all/artic...rty%20coverage
Yes but the deductible for that is still 2500.00

So again may I go after the car owner and driver to get the money I paid plus lost wages? or just the driver?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #20
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
The father gave permission to drive with the knowledge that they did not have insurance.
That right there is what we call a ‘colorable argument’…

As my favorite professor was fond of saying “hey, I’d argue it for money…”

He knowingly put an uninsured driver behind the wheel of his car and in so shopping exposed the public to a heightened and unreasonable amount of risk.

Like I said, negligent entrustment claims aren’t the best - they’re pretty attenuated and proving knowledge can be tough. But knew ‘or should have known’ can do some heavy lifting for you there.

And damn man, lower your deductibles. $2,500 is borderline uninsured. With a $500 deductible and adequate commercial riders, you just submit it to your carrier and let them deal with it.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #21
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
That right there is what we call a ‘colorable argument’…

As my favorite professor was fond of saying “hey, I’d argue it for money…”

He knowingly put an uninsured driver behind the wheel of his car and in so shopping exposed the public to a heightened and unreasonable amount of risk.

Like I said, negligent entrustment claims aren’t the best - they’re pretty attenuated and proving knowledge can be tough. But knew ‘or should have known’ can do some heavy lifting for you there.

And damn man, lower your deductibles. $2,500 is borderline uninsured. With a $500 deductible and adequate commercial riders, you just submit it to your carrier and let them deal with it.

My personal deductible is 250 and 100 of UM.

This is Lyfy comm insurance coverage. I have no control over that. That is what Lyft's coverage is for us drivers in my state.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
My personal deductible is 250 and 100 of UM.

This is Lyfy comm insurance coverage. I have no control over that. That is what Lyft's coverage is for us drivers in my state.
Ah - so you're using what Lyft provides rather than carrying your own endorsements on your personal policy?

Because I'm sure you could get a commercial endorsement on your personal policy, pay a little higher monthly premiums but have better deductibles.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #23
Cheat Death

What type of insurance would the driver of the vehicle need to cover this?

I'm sure its state by state but I was under the impression that insurance followed the vehicle not the driver. Personal liability coverage through a homeowners policy maybe?

Generally curious and hope it works out for you.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #24

Additionally, it still kinda seems like you may want to submit it through lyft, deal with having to pay your deductible and then see what you can due to pursue the deductible itself. Most carriers will pursue subrogation for something like that on your behalf and save you that headache but if what they're out of pocket is pretty deminimis they may not bother (unless your policy mandates that they do so).

Having an amount that's been 'liquidated' is just easier. If you can demonstrate 'look, I'm out exactly the $2,500 for my deductible' that's going to be easier than proving up your lost wages, diminution in value, etc... as those amounts can be pretty speculative.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #25
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Ah - so you're using what Lyft provides rather than carrying your own endorsements on your personal policy?

Because I'm sure you could get a commercial endorsement on your personal policy, pay a little higher monthly premiums but have better deductibles.
No.

This is how it works.

Uber and Lyft only cover rideshare drivers during Periods 2 and 3 (collision and liability). Period 2 starts once you accept a ride request and are en route to your passenger, and Period 3 starts once your passenger gets into your car. But when you’re online and waiting for a request during Period 1, you have no collision coverage from Uber or Lyft and much lower liability limits.

As a rideshare driver, you’re most at risk during Period 1, since you won’t get any collision coverage from rideshare companies and your personal insurer likely won’t cover you during this time either Unless you have the rideshare endorsement which I have then I would only have to pay 100.00 for the UM and not my 250.00

But if you get into an accident with Lyft during periods 2 or 3, you’re covered – but you are subjected to Lyft’s $2,500 deductible. This means you have to pay $2,500 before Lyft insurance will kick in, depending on what type of additional auto insurance policy you have.

https://therideshareguy.com/what-hap...ent-with-lyft/

The link below explains it, My insurance would kick in as a secondary insurance and would reimburse me 2,250.00 because my ded is only 250.0 or in this case of UM, I would get 2400.00 back from my insurance.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #26
Changes pants while driving

Hire a hitman.
ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.ping2000 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping2000 View Post
Hire a hitman.
Would love to but the kid who hit me is Black and If I did that I would be labeled as a racist.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #28
Cheat Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
What type of insurance would the driver of the vehicle need to cover this?

I'm sure its state by state but I was under the impression that insurance followed the vehicle not the driver. Personal liability coverage through a homeowners policy maybe?

Generally curious and hope it works out for you.
Quick Google search seems to indicate the drivers insurance could be used to cover damages if they're driving someone's car and the owner either doesn't have insurance or the damage exceeds their limits.

Sorry, off on my own tangent learning something new.

Best of luck.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #29

Quote:
The link below explains it, My insurance would kick in as a secondary insurance and would reimburse me 2,250.00 because my ded is only 250.0 or in this case of UM, I would get 2400.00 back from my insurance.
So if your insurance is willing to stand in as secondary and reimburse your deductible, why bother with suing the guy?

Even if you get the judgment, he doesn't have to pay it. You've gotta figure out a way to get it paid. So then you have the headache of a garnishment action or some sort of hearing in aid of execution.

Are you concerned about your rates if your policy kicks in as secondary? If so, talk to your agent/adjuster and ask if it would be considered a chargeable event. It really shouldn't be, but I'm not up to speed on the intricacies of ride-share stuff.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #30
Politically Incorrect

Why would your insurance policy NOT pay for getting hit by an uninsured motorist?

Whether you were hauling lumber or driving a passenger, that does NOT alleviate the guilt of the 3rd party who hit you.

If your insurance company then drops you or jacks up your premium later, that is a separate issue.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.