Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 05-18-2022, 02:16 PM  
Supporter

Netflix slant

Last edited by HemiEd; 12-04-2023 at 09:51 AM..
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #16
Starter

I think this issue has so many facets that can't really be boiled down to just a black and white judgement.

1) is there an over representation on tv of minorities? Yes. Most likely. Do i think that's a bad thing. Not really. I think it's an over correction to decades of under representation and white washing (John Wayne as ghengis Khan, Christian Bale as Egyptian, the last avatar movie, scarjo as the ghost in the shell lead). I think over time this will eventually balance itself out.

2) someone mentioned remembering when married characters had to sleep in separate twin beds on tv. That was also when there 3 channels and it was easier to control the narrative. Now there so many options. Hundreds of tv channels, so many streaming options. We can watch on our phone as we take a shit now adays. People are fighting for content that stands out. Pushes boundries. It's easier now than ever for people to create their own content and distribute it online.

That's going to lead to an up tick of non white male centered stories. But it's not like those stories aren't still being told (Better call saul, ozark, the boys, Rick and morty are ones that come off the top of my head)

3) it makes money. The saying "go woke go broke" is so much BS. If that was the case studios would stop funding projects because at the end of the day it's still about making money.

Black Panther and captain marvel (which i wasn't a huge fan of) still made over a billion dollars. Shang Chi set pandemic records at the box office as well. It's more like make shitty movies go broke. Make shitty movies with minority characters you will go broke and have people cry "wokeness" being the cause.

There are a shit ton of courtroom reality tv shows and the majority of them are either POC or women. But if they didn't get the ratings they would be canceled. The studios that do those shows probably have a ton of data that shows your average middle age white male isn't going to be their main demo.
Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #17
MVP

Wokeness in the media has been taking quite the beating. If you look at the onslaught of cancelations from all platforms, many of these shows would fit the bill. They did indeed shoot their shot, but at some point folks have grown fatigued of it.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 PM   #18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Don't you think it's impossible for this to NOT be the case?

It's always just a matter if you agree with the message and the influence it's creating.
Oh I think it can be. I'm a sucker for The Ghost and the Darkness. It's hard for me to believe you can derive a narrative from that movie.

My position has always been tell a good story, make a good movie, I'll listen to your narrative.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:11 PM   #19
Supporter

Their content has become really stale.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
sorta mod-ish

Replace "Netflix" with "commercials airing on major networks" and you might be on to something.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:28 AM   #21
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Replace "Netflix" with "commercials airing on major networks" and you might be on to something.
Well there is that, also.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #22
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Oh I think it can be. I'm a sucker for The Ghost and the Darkness. It's hard for me to believe you can derive a narrative from that movie.

My position has always been tell a good story, make a good movie, I'll listen to your narrative.
Is that the one with the lions and Val Kilmer?

Because that’s a CLASSIC bad good movie.

And since you’re my hayseed Tyler Durden, it makes sense you would like it.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #23
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Yeah, it's funny how many interracial and homosexual groupings you see casually in commercials. A gay couple joking over a cup of coffee in their kitchen, a lesbian couple doting over their child, a white man and an asian woman, a black man and a white wife...I don't know if it's right or wrong, but man is it everywhere.
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #24
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

My wife read the book, and said the movie, though it claims to be a true story, has nothing on the book, which she said was amazingly hard to believe. She felt they toned down the movie to make it believable...also the Michael Douglas character did not exist and the real Patterson was a total bastard who basically abandoned his family in Chicago so he could go on all his adventures.

But I love that campy ass movie. It's a classic, I wouldn't call it bad though...
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post
My wife read the book, and said the movie, though it claims to be a true story, has nothing on the book, which she said was amazingly hard to believe. She felt they toned down the movie to make it believable...also the Michael Douglas character did not exist and the real Patterson was a total bastard who basically abandoned his family in Chicago so he could go on all his adventures.

But I love that campy ass movie. It's a classic, I wouldn't call it bad though...
Val Kilmer trying to carry a movie with dramatic undertones just didn't work. And wasn't there some supernatural element to it as well? Man, I haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but I remember the spirit world ghost lion stuff being really eye-rolly.

For whatever reason "The Devil has come to Tsavo" just stands out as an all-time line. Michael Douglas was the other hunter, right? That guy was just chewing scenery the whole time.

It was a pretty bad movie from an 'objective' standpoint - but I still enjoy the hell out of it.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #26
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Val Kilmer trying to carry a movie with dramatic undertones just didn't work.
and the shitty Irish accent didn't help either, that's for sure.

Quote:
And wasn't there some supernatural element to it as well? Man, I haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but I remember the spirit world ghost lion stuff being really eye-rolly.
yes, the idea to me was that the people thought they were more than just lions, but Patterson didn't. I don't think they were getting at anything other than these two lions did not act like normal lions.
Quote:
For whatever reason "The Devil has come to Tsavo" just stands out as an all-time line. Michael Douglas was the other hunter, right? That guy was just chewing scenery the whole time.
Definitely one of his cornier performances to be sure. It was like watching a kid scary movie type show in a way, except for the whole terrifying lion eating people thing...

Quote:
It was a pretty bad movie from an 'objective' standpoint - but I still enjoy the hell out of it.
Couldn't agree more. Used to have it on DVD but had to get rid of a bunch of that for space, and the Ghost and the Darkness didn't make the cut. But it was a fun movie and I'm sure I'll catch it again some day.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #27
Supporter

Quote:

That's the one.

I just love the shit out of that movie. Hayseed Tyler Durden or not.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post
and the shitty Irish accent didn't help either, that's for sure.
Michael Douglas's accent (wherever the hell it was supposed to be from) just put it all over the top.

The sort of 'leader' of the railroad workers and then the African hunter helper guy were the only two guys that acted worth a shit in that movie.

It was outstanding.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #29
Supporter

Well I finished "Lincoln Lawyer" the Netflix series that was the straw that prompted me to post this thread.

I truly enjoyed it, and would watch a second season if they have one.