Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #121
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
As a female who has used one, I highly recommend it. One thing I learned from mine is to not be hesitant to lift weights. I was always intimidated by seeing the guys that were usually on that side of the gym, but once I got more familiar with form, I didn't even pay attention to anyone else. He set out a workout schedule. I weighed in once per week and took measurements once per month. I worked with weights, resistance machines, treadmill, row machine, ropes, etc. My workouts were lower weight, higher repetitions. Once every five weeks, I had a strength week. This was higher weight and lower repetition, to see where I was at. Typically, once going back to my higher rep workouts, my weight would be a little higher than it was before. Same with cardio and HIIT workouts. He gave me guidelines on what to eat and when, but he never dealt too much with it as long as my weigh-ins and measurements were looking good. Having a personal trainer also gave me someone who held me accountable and pushed me when I needed it. Best thing I could have done.

I don't think it's so much what you ask your trainer. I think it's more what they ask you. I had one before him who only ever had me do stuff with an exercise ball and do some cardio. He moved on to someplace else, and my new trainer asked me what my goals were, what my fears were in the gym, etc. He picked up on my insecurities, and pushed me to overcome them. You should be comfortable with your trainer. Don't be afraid to tell them anything. Trust that they know how to get you to where you desire to be, and, if you're not seeing the results you would like, talk to them about why.

Great write up. This is exactly why a lot of people benefit from trainers.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #122
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
Really you shouldn’t combine cardio and strength training at all, if you can avoid it. If you have to, do cardio last.
Exactly. So many people do cardio first even though strength training should be prioritized for EVERYONE on the days they lift weights.

LIFT BEFORE CARDIO, ALWAYS.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #123
MY LITTLE #15

Quote:
Really you shouldn’t combine cardio and strength training at all, if you can avoid it. If you have to, do cardio last.
My cardio was mainly at the end of workouts where I used resistance machines. I just remember deciding to go for a jog one day upon getting home from leg day, and I paid dearly for it...lol.
luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #124
MVP

Forgot to mention one thing about P90x. I had never done yoga prior to starting that program, but it was a game-changer for me. I still can't stand yoga day - especially since it's an hour-and-a-half - but it really works. Like he says at the beginning of the workout, yoga really hits your weak spots. Out of all the workouts yoga was the one I least looked forward to, but it had the most positive effect on me. Even though I'm not very good at it. It really bombed my hip stabilizer muscles. Apparently my hip flexors were a real weak spot prior to yoga.
JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #125
MY LITTLE #15

Quote:
Great write up. This is exactly why a lot of people benefit from trainers.
Greatest thing I learned from mine is that any limitations I had regarding my fitness goals were ones I put on myself.

One more long story...

It was during one of my sessions with him, and he had me do a 1000 m row at the end. He said he wanted me to do it in under 4 minutes. I told him there was no way I could do that. He said to try for 5 minutes then. I still thought that was stretching it. I got started. I closed my eyes and just focused on rowing. He watched the numbers and encouraged me. He could tell when I was slowing down and would tell me to push through. He told me when I would pass each 250 m, but never told me what my time was. His encouragement starting sounding a little more like excitement, so I opened my eyes to see where I was at. Mistake. I ended up rowing it in 4 mins and 4 secs. If I would have just kept concentrating, I think I would have done it. I was was still shocked. Also, it took me two more tries on my own before getting it under 4 mins.

Also, that the key is to set goals. A few secs less, a few more reps, 5 more pounds... I wasn't even paying attention to my weight after a certain point. Weight loss became a biproduct.
luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #126
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
I do 20mins/200cals of cardio before every workout. Otherwise my body just feels...cold and unready.

I've heard many times how you're allegedly not suppose to do that. But to me, w/o that warm up, it just doesn't feel right.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks View Post
Forgot to mention one thing about P90x. I had never done yoga prior to starting that program, but it was a game-changer for me. I still can't stand yoga day - especially since it's an hour-and-a-half - but it really works. Like he says at the beginning of the workout, yoga really hits your weak spots. Out of all the workouts yoga was the one I least looked forward to, but it had the most positive effect on me. Even though I'm not very good at it. It really bombed my hip stabilizer muscles. Apparently my hip flexors were a real weak spot prior to yoga.
This is where we're gonna disagree.

I did a lot of Yoga back in HS, and as such, ****ing HATED P90X's yoga workout.

I did however thoroughly enjoy the "Stretch X" workout, which i ended up substituting when ever Yoga was scheduled.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #128
Settle this once and forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Wa View Post
Lifting weights and cardio is very simple.

Day 1 Chest Triceps
Day 2 Legs
Day 3 Back Biceps
Day 4 Rest day

Cardio every other day
When are you hitting shoulders and abs, brah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
Also, he reassured me that lifting weights don't really "bulk up" women unless they intend for it to..
It's always funny hearing women say "I don't wanna get too bulky". Women just generally don't have the testosterone to get jacked, especially not in a short timeframe.

It's nice to read a woman's perspective. I am always a bit sad to hear women are intimidated by the weights/weight section of gyms. I know a lot of it is in their own head, but I've heard stories of dudes being creepy too.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post

It's always funny hearing women say "I don't wanna get too bulky". Women just generally don't have the testosterone to get jacked, especially not in a short timeframe.

It's nice to read a woman's perspective. I am always a bit sad to hear women are intimidated by the weights/weight section of gyms. I know a lot of it is in their own head, but I've heard stories of dudes being creepy too.
Yeah it's like the #1 fear of all women when they work out. I've heard that same line from my wife and her GF's.

"I don't want to lift too much because i don't want to get bulky".

.....listen child, you won't get bulky.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #130
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Exactly. So many people do cardio first even though strength training should be prioritized for EVERYONE on the days they lift weights.

LIFT BEFORE CARDIO, ALWAYS.
I barely do cardio anymore. I either shoot hoops, walk 5 miles, or treadmill for 20 mins at 3moh with incline on 5-10
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #131
Settle this once and forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Yeah it's like the #1 fear of all women when they work out. I've heard that same line from my wife and her GF's.

"I don't want to lift too much because i don't want to get bulky".

.....listen child, you won't get bulky.
"I don't wanna get bulky. I'd rather tone." lol
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #132
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post
"I don't wanna get bulky. I'd rather tone." lol
I love the exercises to target stubborn fat.

Ab exercises don’t target belly fat.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #133
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
This is where we're gonna disagree.

I did a lot of Yoga back in HS, and as such, ****ing HATED P90X's yoga workout.

I did however thoroughly enjoy the "Stretch X" workout, which i ended up substituting when ever Yoga was scheduled.
Man, their yoga is so ****ing boring... slow and repetitive. If you can get past that by maybe having a hockey game on while you're doing it, I'm sure it's beneficial, but damn.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titty Meat View Post
I barely do cardio anymore. I either shoot hoops, walk 5 miles, or treadmill for 20 mins at 3moh with incline on 5-10
My cardio "warmup" is effectively 20mins of basketball drills. Layup drills and dribble drills. Enough to work up a sweat and get the heart rate around 150 or so.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #135
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
That was exactly my experience. Just annihilate every muscle group.

With my current regimen I am feeling much better, and it feels like it is much more sustainable.

I still remember how hard it was suffering through p90x in the beginning. I think if you are training naive it is very hard to persevere through.
Yeah, my attitude has complete changed... at one point I had my alarm named "torture" for early morning workouts. I would think it ruins more people on exercise on average.

When I was researching weighted core exercises, someone on YouTube made a comment that I think rings true for some of the p90x stuff as well... just because your legs burn during a wall squat, would you skip leg day at the gym?

It reminded me of plyo in particular... of course your cardio will improve over time with that insanity (and mine did), but does that constant leg burn for an hour really mean a ton compared to a few sets of squats and so forth? And of course they also did wall squats and bodyweight core and other "feel the burn" exercises that just don't seem efficient or even particularly helpful now.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.