Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #46
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
This is mostly wrong, at least if your primary goal is weight loss. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it’s just usually wrong in my experience when dealing someone who has struglgled for years with losing weight. People know what it means to eat healthy, they just can’t sustainably do it.

The only thing at you lose weight is with a calorie deficit. All the diets, all the workouts are just mechanisms to create a deficit. Someone who cannot succeed with weight loss needs to find a long term way to create deficit

When I am counseling on weight loss, sometimes I don’t even talk about macro quality. People need to focus on volume eating. They need to find low calorie high volume foods so they can feel full. To me this is a different conversation than someone who is looking for dietary changes to be more healthy.
My guess is his coach is having him eat more lean proteins etc. What may feel like more could in fact be, calorically less.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #47
best in the biz

My wife is my personal trainer, if you know what I mean.

Seriously though, good fortune to you and your wife.

Doing something for your health is always better than doing nothing.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #48
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post
One thing I have learned over the last 4 years is...counting calories is not the be all end all. You have to look at what you are eating. In fact, my coaches have been having me eat MORE than I thought I should, concentrate on protein and when I lift, I lift as heavy as I can. Quality reps over quantity, and time under tension, so go slow. It ain't a race, and it's about your body, not the fitness model on YouTube. That's just me, but I really saw improvement this year. I don't even get on the scale anymore, I go by how my clothes fit.
That's the beauty of progressive overload... you can only bullshit yourself for so long.

I started lighter on a lot of stuff, sometimes to get the movement down and sometimes just not knowing where I was in terms of reps. But, if I'm at 12+ reps in a set, I'm adding weight. And with each workout I'm trying to add one more rep and then level up on weight.

Outside of simply not doing the exercise correctly (such as not having a full range of motion), eventually there's no where to hide. I could do a bunch of quick or sloppy reps, but eventually I'd be at a weight where I'm just kidding myself if I'm still doing the movement correctly.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #49
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
My guess is his coach is having him eat more lean proteins etc. What may feel like more could in fact be, calorically less.
This is my thought too. Protein also has a big thermic effect (burn more calories to metabolize)

The problem is when someone is trying to lose weight and they are start doing protein shakes, eating nuts, eating granola.

These foods are healthy, unfortunately they don’t fill you up. It is so easy to overconsume on liquid calories and foods that are calorically dense.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
That's the beauty of progressive overload... you can only bullshit yourself for so long.

I started lighter on a lot of stuff, sometimes to get the movement down and sometimes just not knowing where I was in terms of reps. But, if I'm at 12+ reps in a set, I'm adding weight. And with each workout I'm trying to add one more rep and then level up on weight.

Outside of simply not doing the exercise correctly (such as not having a full range of motion), eventually there's no where to hide. I could do a bunch of quick or sloppy reps, but eventually I'd be at a weight where I'm just kidding myself if I'm still doing the movement correctly.
This is again correct. The question of 10 reps to failure or 20 reps to failure is a good one. I tend to shoot for the 10-12 rep range. I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range

I like 10-12 reps because it takes less time, and technically your rest period should be shorter too.

I also found out that I was doing a lot of ego lifting with poor form. I have gotten pretty decent biceps and have yet to max out my adjustable dumbbells. Bench press and legs have created some challenges, so I just try to do more isolation work.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #51

Quote:
This is again correct. The question of 10 reps to failure or 20 reps to failure is a good one. I tend to shoot for the 10-12 rep range. I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range

I like 10-12 reps because it takes less time, and technically your rest period should be shorter too.
I like 8-10 reps. Mental thing i guess.

6 Reps always feels like too little, even if i need help getting the bar back on the rack.

I'm only a fan of 12+ reps if im doing dumbbell exercises. But if im doing Barbell i'm always aiming for that middle ground sweet spot.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
I like 8-10 reps. Mental thing i guess.

6 Reps always feels like too little, even if i need help getting the bar back on the rack.

I'm only a fan of 12+ reps if im doing dumbbell exercises. But if im doing Barbell i'm always aiming for that middle ground sweet spot.
That’s why I love going to failure. Because you know you worked it hard enough. Technically within 1-2 reps of failure is as good, with a little better recovery.

This is based on the current data I know of at least.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #53

Quote:
That’s why I love going to failure. Because you know you worked it hard enough. Technically within 1-2 reps of failure is as good, with a little better recovery.

This is based on the current data I know of at least.
Nothing like going to failure and then realize your spotter is over there flexing in the mirror..."hey a little help here?!?!?!"
Old 05-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #54
In Search of a Life

Go to the gym and watch the personal trainers first. Pick one with good energy. I see so many that are basically just phoning it in. Not giving any instruction. On their phone while the client is doing reps. Zero energy.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #55
best in the biz

Quote:
I start heavy based on my previous performance, and decrease the weight with each set shooting for failure in the 10-12 rep range
Interesting.

I do the same, but increase the weight between reps.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:34 PM   #56
Would an idiot do that?

Jeff Nippard does a lot of study-backed videos and one was around how rep ranges for size, strength, and endurance are quite a bit larger and overlapping than the generic <3 reps, 4-8, 8-12, 12+.

I try for 8-12, but concentrate on when I can up the weights... I have adjustable dumbbells that increment 5lbs, so I may only need to get to 10 reps before upping 5lbs and doing 8 reps.

Also just bought a cable rack thing that goes up by 10lbs per side, so if I'm doing two armed curls, I'm probably looking at making my way up to 12 or more reps since I'd be adding 20lbs.

Much more than 12 and I'd feel like I'm doing endurance work (the reason p90x and those don't work, along with how they just obliterate smaller muscles). I have some of that built in, like a warmup squat/overhead press or lighter weight flys, but as mention, also don't want to waste time and reps in that range for heavier lifts.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #57
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Interesting.

I do the same, but increase the weight between reps.
I go down so I can keep my reps in the 10-12 range. Otherwise my last set would only be a couple reps. You want “time under tension” which is why the number of reps matter. If you go to failure, you will generally struggle to hit the same reps with the same weight on the next set. That is why I drop the weight.

There is definitely more than one way to have success though. I am not really trying to hit a personal record.

A fascinating transition for me, was when I was getting closer to my goal weight, I had to increase my calories to keep up my performance while exercising. I had never had that experience. It was weird transitioning to needing to eat more.

Last edited by SupDock; 05-16-2022 at 04:40 PM..
Old 05-16-2022, 04:46 PM   #58
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
I go down so I can keep my reps in the 10-12 range. Otherwise my last set would only be a couple reps. You want “time under tension” which is why the number of reps matter. If you go to failure, you will generally struggle to hit the same reps with the same weight on the next set. That is why I drop the weight.

There is definitely more than one way to have success though. I am not really trying to hit a personal record.
I'm playing with that some now, because I recently moved on from a more beginner full body routine to targeting muscle groups.... and I know the whole "to failure" is a debate and some think a couple less than failure is fine.

I don't tend to go to complete failure, but then it makes me wonder when I'm not needing to lighten up the weight towards the end (not that I don't feel like I've had a good workout, but still have some in the tank).

Then again... one more rep, a little more weight... forever.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I'm playing with that some now, because I recently moved on from a more beginner full body routine to targeting muscle groups.... and I know the whole "to failure" is a debate and some think a couple less than failure is fine.

I don't tend to go to complete failure, but then it makes me wonder when I'm not needing to lighten up the weight towards the end (not that I don't feel like I've had a good workout, but still have some in the tank).

Then again... one more rep, a little more weight... forever.
Well, if it's Bench Press we're talking about, there's no going to failure w/o a spotter. So in a lot of instances going to failure isn't even an option therefore a rep or two short of failure is the best you're going to do.

And i sure AF ain't going to failure with any rep that involves weights being lifted over my head. So things like Dumbbell shoulder presses will always be a few reps short of failure.

Bicep curls, chair dips etc are all "failure-fair-game".
Old 05-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #60
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
A fascinating transition for me, was when I was getting closer to my goal weight, I had to increase my calories to keep up my performance while exercising. I had never had that experience. It was weird transitioning to needing to eat more.
Interesting.... that's basically the reason I don't count calories now. Until I plateau for a while, I'm sure I could eat more and not gain any gut, but as long as the workouts are improving, I'm not all that worried about it.

And it's good motivation to lift, being able to eat more.