Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #16
Veteran

Why would I use a personal trainer when i have glutes like these? I think it would just embarass the man.
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #17
MVP

I am torn on this. I think there are a lot of good trainers and a lot of bad trainers. I think the accountability is a good thing, and having someone giving you feedback is also good. Also some people have no idea how to safely use equipment, so a trainer is very helpful.

Assessing your goals is quite important.
If you are someone that really struggles with being motivated at the gym, a trainer can be very helpful to ensure you efficiently use your time.

There is no shortage of information available to lead you in your fitness goals.

I will say that many of them have no idea what the literature says in regards to exercise physiology (there is a lot of conflict in the literature though).

My wife wanted to hire a trainer to gain strength. The trainer she spoke to wanted her doing cardio for 30-40 minutes before starting her time with the trainer.
This makes absolutely no sense. You want someone who is exercise naive to waste their energy for 40 minutes prior to strength training? That’s a recipe for burnout and low energy strength training.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmahurin View Post
I had meniscus repair/cleanup about a year ago. Everything feels fine but I still don't "trust" it if that makes sense. Any good stretches/strength things you would recommend?
If you look up “knee rehab pdf” you should get some good information. You probably need to go to physical therapy.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #19
In Search of a Life

I’ve used an impersonal trainer. Knew his stuff but was kind of a dick.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #20
Veteran

Yes. Couple scenarios.

The first one was really good, but I didn't take it seriously enough at the time. Still though, I saw some pretty good results. Twice a week.

Second round was through a Commercial Gym. I took it much more seriously and worked out on my own as well. I saw results, but I chalk a lot of that up to my own initiative.

I'm in pretty decent shape. I eat pretty clean, run and work out religiously.

Interestingly enough, I saw the best results when the gyms were closed during the pandemic. Body weight exercises, running etc. Lots of pushups, pull-ups, dips etc. I was in the best shape of my life, and I did it on my own.

FWIW, I was 264lbs at my peak. 40inch waist, XL and XXL Shirts. Right now I am about 185, 32inch waist and wear a Medium shirt. I got as low as 169lbs, but I think I was too thin.

Trainers are great, but you can do it on your own.
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #21
Tre Right, Three Jet Chip Wasp

I also used to be a trainer. Adding to what Lewdog said…

Do:
- ask if it’s ok to exchange numbers w your trainer so it’s easier to work out any schedule changes.
- Clearly communicate your goals to your trainer, up front, even if you feel embarrassed by how “little” they are. It’ll help them formulate a plan to help you reach them.
- Let them know of schedule changes as far in advance as possible.
- Let them know what kind of reinforcement motivates you.
- Show up on time for sessions. Best to show up 10-15 minutes early so you can put your stuff in a locker and get a warm up in to maximize the time you are paying for.
- Take pics, for you, of your self at set intervals. You might not feel the changes or see them in the mirror when you’re looking at your self each day but you will certainly see them over time and it will keep you motivated.

Do not:
- Text your trainer at random ass times without a valid reason. They have lives and other clients.
- Lie to your trainer about what you ate and drank if you are not seeing results.
- Drink a bunch before an early morning session then come in hungover or still drunk. Even if you can’t smell it, you stink and the trainer has to work closely w you. It’s gross.
- Let a cheat meal turn into a cheat day, then a cheat week, then lose everything you gained because you you gave up.

I cannot stress this enough: Diet and lifestyle change is the hardest part of any weight loss regimen. You can bust your ass in the gym and then do nothing else but be sedentary, drink a bunch or soda/alcohol and eat like shit then you’ll see minimal results.

Going back to clearly defined goals; Diet for losing weight is different than for being ripped and muscular. Know what you want so you have a path to get there.

It’s a long journey just don’t get frustrated and give up if you slip up. Keep pushing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Clyde Frog has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Yes. Couple scenarios.

The first one was really good, but I didn't take it seriously enough at the time. Still though, I saw some pretty good results. Twice a week.

Second round was through a Commercial Gym. I took it much more seriously and worked out on my own as well. I saw results, but I chalk a lot of that up to my own initiative.

I'm in pretty decent shape. I eat pretty clean, run and work out religiously.

Interestingly enough, I saw the best results when the gyms were closed during the pandemic. Body weight exercises, running etc. Lots of pushups, pull-ups, dips etc. I was in the best shape of my life, and I did it on my own.

FWIW, I was 264lbs at my peak. 40inch waist, XL and XXL Shirts. Right now I am about 185, 32inch waist and wear a Medium shirt. I got as low as 169lbs, but I think I was too thin.

Trainers are great, but you can do it on your own.
You kinda sound sexy. Wanna date? Ill take you to the recent Star Wars flim and pay for your popcorn.
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #23
Veteran

Highly recommend a personal trainer to help get you started, a few benefits:

-Having a set training program helps immensely knowing what exercises you're going to be working on over a set # of weeks so you can track progress. I don't recommend going to the gym and making up a workout as you go. You'll be more efficient and effective with a plan.

-Setting tangible short term and long term goals orientated to your specific fitness needs. Touched on it above but make sure you are tracking your weights so you can see where you are improving. Progress photos or measurements can help too, at times it can be hard to see the progress you are making day in and day out until you look back so I think this is crucial.

-Accountability, as Lew mentioned it can be daunting trying to get into a new routine and stick with it but having a third party to keep you accountable can help.

-Being more confident completing your exercises correctly and safely. It can be a little nerve wracking at first going to the gym especially if you have little experience, but after a few sessions those nerves will fade away. Extremely important to make sure you are doing your exercises in a safe manner.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #24
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch View Post
You kinda sound sexy. Wanna date? Ill take you to the recent Star Wars flim and pay for your popcorn.
Appreciate the offer, but if I am going to get hit on by a dude here, I'd prefer it to be Billay. He's got tenure I think.
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #25
Veteran

Is lewdog a physical fitness guy? I knew there was more to lew than the common jew knew. Lou: is it possible for a guy like me to do a pull up? I have 14 pounds of dead weight that most men dont have. Its my atypically large penis. Advice?
Old 05-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #26
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Appreciate the offer, but if I am going to get hit on by a dude here, I'd prefer it to be Billay. He's got tenure I think.
Billay has a wait list. I signed up 7 years ago and I'm not even near the front of the line.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #27
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog View Post
I cannot stress this enough: Diet and lifestyle change is the hardest part of any weight loss regimen. You can bust your ass in the gym and then do nothing else but be sedentary, drink a bunch or soda/alcohol and eat like shit then you’ll see minimal results.
This is very true.

My saying is “nothing in moderation”. I don’t miss the bad stuff I used to eat, as long as I don’t eat/drink it EVER. I can’t enjoy something in moderation. If I have it once, I make excuses for why I can have it again.

My diet method is I pick something new to change every 4-6 months. So far, I’ve given up all pop, most sweets, chips, fries (was harder than I imagined), breaded chicken (only grilled or baked), sugar/creamer in my coffee, and I limit my red meat. I could have never given up all of that at once without being miserable. I started with pop, then did swim thing else every 6 months. My weight was never completely out of control (maybe 10-15 pounds overweight), so I could be patient. I’m relieved that I’ve been able to stay at a great weight for myself and really active. My son deserves it.
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #28
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
I am torn on this. I think there are a lot of good trainers and a lot of bad trainers. I think the accountability is a good thing, and having someone giving you feedback is also good. Also some people have no idea how to safely use equipment, so a trainer is very helpful.

Assessing your goals is quite important.
If you are someone that really struggles with being motivated at the gym, a trainer can be very helpful to ensure you efficiently use your time.

There is no shortage of information available to lead you in your fitness goals.

I will say that many of them have no idea what the literature says in regards to exercise physiology (there is a lot of conflict in the literature though).

My wife wanted to hire a trainer to gain strength. The trainer she spoke to wanted her doing cardio for 30-40 minutes before starting her time with the trainer.
This makes absolutely no sense. You want someone who is exercise naive to waste their energy for 40 minutes prior to strength training? That’s a recipe for burnout and low energy strength training.
Yeah, torn as well.

I did a good amount of research on my own, so on one hand I'd say a personal trainer could save time, but only if they're good... I feel like there would still be things I'd go home and research if only getting one opinion on the matter.

My initial thoughts...
- Think an infinite game. Not "90 days to a better you" where you make a ton of huge changes all at once. It's one thing if you do have an immediate goal (lose 20 pounds for a specific thing), but so much of it is about balance and sustainability.

- If you're looking to gain muscle, it's all about progressive overload, and at least for a beginner, you don't need to lift 6 days/week. The general rule I've seen is anywhere from 10-20 sets per muscle per week, and much over 5 sets per muscle in one workout is excessive and probably has no more ROI. I personally did 3 days/week full body for a while with good results.

- Diet... again, sustainability. Don't deprive yourself, but look at moderation. Counting calories has always worked out far better than not for me when needing to lose a few pounds.

- Feed your good habits with things that keep you going down that path. Walked/jogged consistently for a couple months? Buy a better pair of running shoes or ear buds for jogging or a nice smart watch.
Lift for a few months? Buy some home gym stuff for new exercises or accessories for the gym.
Sure, reward yourself with a beer sometimes, just don't be too self destructive... and feeding the good habits has worked really well for me because it keeps things new and you don't want to waste the dollars invested once it becomes a habit (as opposed to spending $2k on a treadmill day one).

Think of it as how athletes get paid... performance first, set the habit, then buy that shiny thing. Motivation and results should come first, IMO.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #29
Supporter

A good personal trainer is worth much more than what you will actually be paying them. A bad personal trainer can make you never want to lift again.

Make sure you go with one that has been recommended by people you trust the opinions of.

As far as your knee, It is 98% mental. Not much physical therapy needed for a meniscus repair. Just make sure your PT knows so they ease you in on the leg exercises until you get the strength back up and feel confident in it.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #30
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch View Post
Is lewdog a physical fitness guy? I knew there was more to lew than the common jew knew. Lou: is it possible for a guy like me to do a pull up? I have 14 pounds of dead weight that most men dont have. Its my atypically large penis. Advice?
Only 14 pounds?

Should have never relaxed the requirements to join Chiefsplanet. :shakeshead:
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote