Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 05-05-2022, 03:41 PM  
__

Why didn't the Chiefs select Jermaine Johnson?

Because of character concerns, apparently:

Quote:
In the days prior to the 2022 NFL Draft, we reported in the Hot Press that there were some makeup concerns with Johnson and some team sources even felt that Johnson's football character was worse than Kayvon Thibodeaux. The character issue hurt Johnson with some teams, according to sources. On top of that, some sources felt Johnson was slightly overrated by the media and his pass rush was not at an elite level for translating to the NFL.

"I wasn't a fan of the player and didn't see him as a 'top rusher' personally," said an NFC director of players personnel. "I believe his personality was a concern for a lot of people - not necessarily off-field concern, but he's not a liked guy in the locker room."

A different NFC director of player personnel said Johnson was viewed as a high-maintenance guy for the coaches to deal with and keep focused. Multiple sources said they thought Johnson's skill set could make him a solid rusher, but they not see him as a high first-round talent in that regard.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

I think a few of us were on the "I don't get it" train with Johnson.

Now by the 20s I was figuring he was worth the trade-up, but those guys that wanted to move into the teens or hell, some were talking about giving up their 1st rounder next year or both 1st this year; did NOT understand that one at all.

The personality wasn't an issue for me (knew nothing of those concerns) - I just watched all those highlights that people were posting and kept thinking "that's it? What makes this guy better than Karlaftis?"

He was...fine.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I think a few of us were on the "I don't get it" train with Johnson.

Now by the 20s I was figuring he was worth the trade-up, but those guys that wanted to move into the teens or hell, some were talking about giving up their 1st rounder next year or both 1st this year; did NOT understand that one at all.

The personality wasn't an issue for me (knew nothing of those concerns) - I just watched all those highlights that people were posting and kept thinking "that's it? What makes this guy better than Karlaftis?"

He was...fine.
I think he was just a more "traditional" DE. It was probably easier to see how he works at the next level. But I agree, I'm not sure there's a massive difference in terms of impact, they're going to win in different ways. Think Johnson is probably the better player but I wasn't that keen on trading up for him
JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.JPH83 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #4
Most Valuable Villain

I was a little pissed when they didn't trade up for Johnson at 21....but I liked Karlaftis so it wasn't THAT huge of a deal in the end.

It'll be interesting to watch their careers as they progress. At least the Jets did something to create issues for the Bills.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
I was a little pissed when they didn't trade up for Johnson at 21....but I liked Karlaftis so it wasn't THAT huge of a deal in the end.

It'll be interesting to watch their careers as they progress. At least the Jets did something to create issues for the Bills.
Yeah, that's where I ended up as well. I mean I wasn't 'pissed' when they took McDuffie as I know he's a very good prospect in his own right. But I was definitely puzzled.

But Mcduffie and Karlaftis is as good a haul as Johnson and Gordon/Booth would've been. May turn out better, may turn out worse, but as a pure 'prospect haul', it's a net wash.

Karlaftis making it to us at 29 cured some ills there.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
In Search of a Life

Johnson is also older than Karlaftis by a few years.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yeah, that's where I ended up as well. I mean I wasn't 'pissed' when they took McDuffie as I know he's a very good prospect in his own right. But I was definitely puzzled.

But Mcduffie and Karlaftis is as good a haul as Johnson and Gordon/Booth would've been. May turn out better, may turn out worse, but as a pure 'prospect haul', it's a net wash.

Karlaftis making it to us at 29 cured some ills there.
Yeah.....once Karlaftis fell to us at 30.....I got over not getting Johnson at 21. McDuffie was just icing on the cake.

Once again...I for sure thought they would all be gone by 30 and the draft proved me wrong again.

No Drake Jackson at 62 still hurts though.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Yeah.....once Karlaftis fell to us at 30.....I got over not getting Johnson at 21. McDuffie was just icing on the cake.

Once again...I for sure thought they would all be gone by 30 and the draft proved me wrong again.

No Drake Jackson at 62 still hurts though.
Them passing on Drake was puzzling. I’d like to hear why they passed on him so late, as the whole league did, as well. I just hope Veach doesn’t look at DE as solved by restructuring Clark and drafting George.

I still think a move is upcoming for a DE once OBJ gets his extension.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
MVP

We went for high character guys, turning over a new leaf.
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
Them passing on Drake was puzzling. I’d like to hear why they passed on him so late, as the whole league did, as well. I just hope Veach doesn’t look at DE as solved by restructuring Clark and drafting George.

I still think a move is upcoming for a DE once OBJ gets his extension.
NFL draft rooms really lock on on certain players (likely to a fault)...it will be interesting to follow the careers of Cook, Drake Jackson, and Chenal. The "what if" scenario: they draft Jackson at 62, then likely they draft Cross or Kerby Joseph in the 3rd, I don't think either of those 2 plays the same way that Cook does, and obviously the Chiefs love his intangibles, but it's fun to speculates. If Cook turns out a stud and a leader, I hope people remember to credit Veach and Staff.
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato View Post
We went for high character guys, turning over a new leaf.
I'd push back on the "character guys" narrative. Once upon a time "character guys" was taking goodie two shoes mother****ers that couldn't play, but weren't going to get in trouble like Pacman Jones. Remember that dude? "Character guys" was a narrative borne as a direct response to that.

What I see are grinders. Guys that have a healthy level of "**** off" engraved in the deepest part of their souls. Guys that will work on the details so they can rape some faces.

That's as opposed to pure athletes that make their hay by making plays with their athleticism, not technique and practice. And then hoping there is some sort of **** you in them to develop their craft.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #12
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I'd push back on the "character guys" narrative. Once upon a time "character guys" was taking goodie two shoes mother****ers that couldn't play, but weren't going to get in trouble like Pacman Jones. Remember that dude? "Character guys" was a narrative borne as a direct response to that.

What I see are grinders. Guys that have a healthy level of "**** off" engraved in the deepest part of their souls. Guys that will work on the details so they can rape some faces.

That's as opposed to pure athletes that make their hay by making plays with their athleticism, not technique and practice. And then hoping there is some sort of **** you in them to develop their craft.
This.

They took guys that don't want to come off the field and will go 100 mph every snap for as long as they can. They also took defensive guys that love to hit people....and can actually ****ing tackle.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #13
Rufus Dawes Jr.

Its clear that Spags loves himself some Karlaftis, and I think that matters greatly in terms of fit and production. I think KC was a perfect fit for Karlaftis.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #14
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post

Quote:
This.

They took guys that don't want to come off the field and will go 100 mph every snap for as long as they can. They also took defensive guys that love to hit people....and can actually ****ing tackle.
Yeah I think the defense needed a major attitude readjustment.

Not just the defense either, have you guys seen the Big Boys Club with Geoff Schwartz where he interviews Kinnard?

Dude has no ****s given.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #15
The Insider

Chiefs are getting nastier. Mahomes era has the perception that they were soft. Kind of like Jordan during the Bad Boys run. Chiefs are taking that next step.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote