Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 04-10-2022, 01:22 PM  
MVP

Crow's 2022 "What I Want" Mock Draft

Well, I'm now on edition number three, so my worry about coming into this one a bit early this year was warranted. As much as I'd like to say this is the final edition, you never know what my tiny little brain will conjure up next. All that said, I'm looking at fortifying the edge and pass rush as a whole as the primary focus of this draft early on, then fortifying the secondary and receiving corps with some depth. I'll sprinkle in some added pieces offensively in hopes they can help keep the machine churning in the future.

So, without further ado, let's kick things off with a big move...

1-6 | ER Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon (6'4" 254)
Kansas City trades 1-29, 1-30, 3-94 to Carolina for 1-6
I've been extremely vocal about my desire to move up for a pass rusher in order to provide game-changing talent in the front four. I see a relatively large drop-off to the next tier. Could I be wrong? Time will tell. Either way, I fully expect Veach to get aggressive with those 1st round picks and go get a guy to improve the pass rush. There may not be a better pure pass-rushing talent in this draft than Kayvon Thibodeaux, and the fact there is chatter that he could slide a bit because he's thought of as overly self-centered and arrogant could be to the Chiefs' benefit. Carolina is in a prime spot to trade out of their spot and has even opened that door, especially if one of the top two QB prospects doesn't land in their lap (and I expect they won't with trades). There's not much weakness to Thib's game, as he's a heavy-handed power rusher with a good deal of burst and bend to win the corner. He sets the edge well in the run game too, so he can be a day-one asset. I'll say this, you have to have A+ players in this league to win championships, and it's high time KC goes and gets some in the draft rather than free agency.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

2-50 | DT Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma (6'4" 290)
Winfrey to me is an absolute wrecking ball coming through the line. He's got suspect eyes to get off the ball, but once that launch button is hit look out because he's coming hard and fast. Drew Boylhart thinks he might make a move to DE in the mold of Marcellus Wiley with the upside to be a Michael Strahan/Bruce Smith type of big end. I'm uncertain of the projection to DE, but as a 3-tech that can wreak havoc? Absolutely. I see Winfrey taking snaps at both end and tackle in KC depending on downs but may settle in at DT in replacement of Chris Jones in time if he doesn't become a terror off the edge first. One thing KC has to do in this draft is increase its sack potential and Winfrey can absolutely do that, plus he has the drive to be great.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

2-62 | WR Alec Pierce, Cincinnati (6'3" 211)
If the Chiefs are committed to becoming a bigger team at WR to beat zone coverage, then Alec Pierce makes a ton of sense. Despite his speed in shorts, he doesn't create as much separation as you'd like but he's getting better at it. He's tough at the catch point and has sneaky agility in/out of breaks. I'm not worried about this kid learning a bigger, more sophisticated route tree as he was an Academic All-American that finished his degree in Mechanical Engineering in 3-1/2 years. He's also already familiar with some of the concepts the Chiefs deploy. I think, once you polish this kid up, he'll become a very solid X WR in this league that can take the top off from time-to-time.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

3-103 | CB Jalyn Armour-Davis, Alabama (6'1" 197)
I'm kind of keeping track with my "go for it" attitude from the 2nd round and doing the same here in the 3rd with Armour-Davis. Yes, it's 100% true that you can't play games from the tub and that prior injury history could spell future troubles there. That said, Armour-Davis is a near-elite talent when he's on the field and that's really hard for me to ignore. If he's done being broken, you have a starting-caliber press corner on your hands.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

4-121 | OT Braxton Jones, Southern Utah (6'5" 310)
I've been really high on Braxton Jones for a while now even if he hasn't popped into my mocks in some time. Jones is a guy that you can develop for a year and just might be your starting LT in 2023. If nothing else, Jones should develop into at least a competent swing tackle and might even fight to start at RT. I think the Chiefs need to invest a mid-level pick at the position and there's no player I like more in that range. If he went to a bigger school, I have little doubt he'd be an early day 2 consideration.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

4-135 | RB Pierre Strong, Jr., South Dakota State (5'11" 207)
Strong is a one-man highlight reel. While he'll be a little older than you like coming into the NFL, at a shade over 23 and 4 months on draft day, I don't care because this league chews up and spits out RBs anyhow. Strong is a dream athletic specimen at the position with a 4.37 40-yd dash, 6.95 3-cone, and an impressive 38" vertical jump. The guy, realistically, reminds me of Jamaal Charles and Charles was electric in Andy Reid's offense when he put up career highs in total yards, touchdowns, and receptions in 2013. I could see Strong flourishing in a similar fashion to Charles with his game-breaking speed and plus ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. If there were ever a RB to hope for in the draft to pair with Reid's style, this is the guy.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

6-200 | RB(WR) Tyler Goodson, Iowa (5'9" 197)
Kansas City trades 7-233, 7-243 to New England for 6-200 (The Chiefs actually traded identical picks to NE in 2018 for pick 198)
As a full-time or even committee RB, Goodson leaves a lot to be desired in the NFL and is probably going to be delegated to rotational duties as a pass-catching back almost exclusively. What I love is he has solid size and plenty of juice. This is a kid that ran a 4.42 40-yard and 6.76 3-cone to go with an outstanding 36.5" vertical. He's shown he can be a good receiver and he has the requisite hand size (9") to be solid in the NFL in that role. My projection? Do the exact same thing with this kid that you did with Tyreek Hill, convert him fully to WR. With Goodson's size, speed, and agility, he could be an absolute nightmare in the slot and might even be able to go full-on outside as Hill did. He has the added ability, with his work at RB, to be a huge factor on sweeps and screens and can even step back into the backfield every once in a while.

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

7-251 | FS Nazeeh Johnson, Marshall (5'10" 199)
If you want a twitched-up, elite athlete that can compete at FS or NB, then look no further than Nazeeh Johnson. This kid is a mighty mouse at 5'10" and 199 pounds but runs a 4.35 forty, 6.97 3-cone, and had a 42" vertical and 10'9" broad jump. He's the type of player you look at and think he might be able to develop into a faster version of Tyrann Mathieu, which is what I have him as. He's got the tackles, PBUs, and interceptions I like to see from a guy you're going to take a shot on late. Johnson has played CB and FS in his career. Veach has always liked smaller free safeties that can match up in coverage so I see this kid as a potential fit (see going after Earl Thomas when he came on and then snagging Mathieu).

From Dane Brugler:
Spoiler!

7-259 | LB Trey Baldwin, Louisiana Tech (6'2" 235)
I stumbled upon Trey Baldwin later in the process and have ever since been enamored with what I saw on tape. He's not some super-athletic specimen that is going to blow up the RAS stat sheet but he's very productive on the field and has adequate speed. His last two seasons have been 85 TKL, 1 SK, 7 TFL, 1 INT, 5 PD, and 94 TKL, 5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, and 5 PD. He's a bit of an off-the-ball LB for LA Tech and has made some big plays against the biggest competition (Ints against Miami and Miss St). He scrapes across the line well to make plays at the LOS and in space. Once he diagnoses the play, he's decisive and fires downhill, and is a solid tackler with some power in his pads. His coverage is solid enough in man and the intermediate zone to make some plays in the passing game against RBs and TEs.

From Tony Pauline:
Spoiler!

Roster Projection

QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Jones II, P. Strong Jr, D. Gore
FB: M. Burton
TE: T. Kelce, N. Gray, J. Fortson
WR: J. Smith-Schuster, M. Valdes-Scantling, M. Hardman, A. Pierce, J. Gordon, T. Goodson
OL: O. Brown Jr, J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, A. Wylie, G. Christian, N. Allegretti, A. Reiter, B. Jones
DE: F. Clark, K. Thibodeaux, P. Winfrey, M. Danna, J. Kaindoh
DT: C. Jones, D. Nnadi, T. Stallworth, T. Wharton, K. Saunders
LB: W. Gay Jr, N. Bolton, J. Carter, E. Lee, T. Baldwin
CB: L. Sneed, R. Fenton, D. Baker, J. Armour-Davis, L. Barcoo
DB: J. Reid, J. Thornhill, D. Bush, Z. Anderson, N. Johnson
ST: H. Butker, T. Townsend, J. Winchester

Last edited by kccrow; 04-27-2022 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Bigger Balls
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #31
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I like Pickens a lot.

I also like Winfrey a lot.

I don't know that I like moving all the way up for Johnson.
Johnson has hips like a grandma and his win rate on twist and stunts backs that up
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #32
Inmem 2.0

I got Chris Jones vibes when I read Pinfreys scouting report
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #33
Veteran

Did y’all see the presser? He acted like moving up higher than 21 was unlikely. He said 16-18 1st round grades and he didn’t anticipate moving up to top ten but moving to up to 21 if one of those 1st round graded guys fell could be possible. Is he lying? I don’t know. But it does seem like moving up to 6 is unlikely.

Here’s the press conf.
https://youtu.be/GaYkjD0Js1U
kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.kcbubb < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #34
In Mahomes I trust!

Ok, I LOVE THIS! I feel like it is a GO BIG or GO HOME draft you present and I am fully on board!
Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.Stryker threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
I am sure that you realize that the pick value does not line up according to several charts for that move to the top.
The NFL hasn't used the old Jimmy Johnson charts you're referencing in over a decade. They use charts very near the Rich Hill model. And if you look at that, it does line up. So does every other trade made in recent history.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbubb View Post
Did y’all see the presser? He acted like moving up higher than 21 was unlikely. He said 16-18 1st round grades and he didn’t anticipate moving up to top ten but moving to up to 21 if one of those 1st round graded guys fell could be possible. Is he lying? I don’t know. But it does seem like moving up to 6 is unlikely.

Here’s the press conf.
https://youtu.be/GaYkjD0Js1U
Yeah, but I don't put much stock in what he, or any GM, says at this point.

He very well could be telling the truth, especially on the 16-18 1st round grades, but you also factor in needs and fits along with those grades and you're likely down to about 12. As for moving up to 6, yeah he probably doesn't "anticipate" doing it because the trade isn't in a vacuum. Players have to fall and their offer has to beat other teams' offers. I'm sure he has an amount he's willing to spend to get to specific spots and that's it. He certainly didn't rule out trading into the top 10. I'd venture if a specific player or two don't fall to a certain spot, like Thibs or Hutch falling to 6, then he's comfortable seeing if Johnson or Karlaftis falls to the 20/21 area, and if that' don't happen then he'll sit tight and take whats there.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #37
Colorado Chief Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post

He very well could be telling the truth, especially on the 16-18 1st round grades, but you also factor in needs and fits along with those grades and you're likely down to about 12. As for moving up to 6, yeah he probably doesn't "anticipate" doing it because the trade isn't in a vacuum. Players have to fall and their offer has to beat other teams' offers. I'm sure he has an amount he's willing to spend to get to specific spots and that's it. He certainly didn't rule out trading into the top 10. I'd venture if a specific player or two don't fall to a certain spot, like Thibs or Hutch falling to 6, then he's comfortable seeing if Johnson or Karlaftis falls to the 20/21 area, and if that' don't happen then he'll sit tight and take whats there.
I think this is spot on!
chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.chiefforlife is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:41 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:

I mean yeah.

Why would he broadcast a desire to move to the top 10? You give your competitors an idea what you're thinking and let teams (Carolina) know that you want up, so they can squeeze you for more picks. Not to mention that if he moves up, it's probably for Thibs so you need to see if the Jets take him at 4 or the Giants even.

If Veach's moving up, we won't know till that team is on the clock and he can make the phone call.
mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #39
MVP

Some news that Alec Pierce is getting alot of interest from Chicago (48) and Green Bay (53). I think I read it from Pauline. Anyhow, I don't know if I could quite bring myself to consider him at 50, and that's if he's even still there.

I do like Metchie at that spot... hmm.

Also picked up this little nugget in an article on Danny Gray that outlines WR stats from '21.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:50 PM   #40
Most Valuable Villain

That 12.5% drop rate is a little much. Jesus.

That may be because of who their QB was but still.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #41
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
That 12.5% drop rate is a little much. Jesus.

That may be because of who their QB was but still.
Yeah, not ideal.

Burks and London with all that time in the slot is concerning for two of the bigger WRs in the draft. Also corresponds well with low depth of target numbers.

Burks and Williams on contested catches are underwhelming, for sure.

Watson's combined catch percentage and drop rate are meh.

I do really like a lot about Olave, sans the YAC. Also really like Metchie. Both win outside, both win contested. Metchie with the good YAC, Olave with the good DOT. Olave on the outside and Metchie in the slot would be a dreamy scenario for me.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:59 AM   #42
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Yeah, not ideal.

Burks and London with all that time in the slot is concerning for two of the bigger WRs in the draft. Also corresponds well with low depth of target numbers.

Burks and Williams on contested catches are underwhelming, for sure.

Watson's combined catch percentage and drop rate are meh.

I do really like a lot about Olave, sans the YAC. Also really like Metchie. Both win outside, both win contested. Metchie with the good YAC, Olave with the good DOT. Olave on the outside and Metchie in the slot would be a dreamy scenario for me.
I'm hoping we get one of Metchie, Tolbert or Pierce.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #43
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

For posterity's sake:

29: George Karlaftis -- Set and forget strong-side DE

30: Nakobe Dean -- Excellent WLB and complementary pass-rusher with elite range and developing ball skills.

50: John Metchie -- Outstanding combination of upside and floor. Very versatile; could be a very good X with his physicality but also has the athleticism to play as a Z. Ultimately just a very nice piece that can move as needed as other pieces fall into place.

62: Drake Jackson -- Have warmed to him throughout the draft process. Plus athleticism and bend, good length and has added some weight to make up for some of my pre-combine concerns. Additionally would be a very strong complement to Karlaftis.

94: Calvin Austin -- My sweet baboo and if you don't love him you're wrong and **** you.

103: Zyon McCollum -- SCREAMS Brett Veach pick. Measurables and size, competition concerns and technique lapses will push him a bit but as raw clay, they don't get much better than this.

121: Matthew Butler -- Just hard to see him not being a quality NFL player. He won't be a difference maker, but I think he has a nice career.

135: JT Woods -- Like McCollum, a measurables/talent pick. And like McCollum, put up some unreal testing numbers. We can afford to work him in slowly with Thornhill and Reid already under control this year. Can be a significant ST contributor in the interim.

If I were sitting at 121, I might flip the order of those last 2 picks thinking maybe Woods will be less likely than Butler to be there at 135. Hard to know without seeing the board.

Last edited by DJ's left nut; 04-27-2022 at 12:11 PM..
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #44
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

You spelled Metchie s name wrong. I love it except for Dean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #45
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
You spelled Metchie s name wrong. I love it except for Dean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where the hell did Robert come from?

Odd.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.