Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM  
sorta mod-ish

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #16
Perpetual Mediocrity

I remember reading at some point that this show was going to be fully episodic (like TOS) rather than serialized. Is that still the case? I'd prefer that, especially given new Trek has been largely a failure at telling serialized stories.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:53 PM   #17
Perpetual Mediocrity

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...first-reviews/

Quote:
By and large, this approach works. While it lacks “Discovery’s” ambition, “Strange New Worlds” also avoids that show’s struggles with serialization and scope, as each episode limits its focus to the story at hand. The result is as straightforward and direct as the show’s leading man, and nearly as likable. There’s no strain here, and while the more episodic style may be old-fashioned, it’s refreshing to watch something that isn’t pretending to be a 10-hour movie. – Zack Handlen, Variety

It doesn’t particularly care about the version of the Enterprise or its crew you may or may not be holding in your head, and heart. It simply wants to tell Trek stories the way they used to be told — one space battle, one diplomatic summit, one alien virus, one spatial anomaly, one transporter accident at a time. – Glen Weldon, NPR

So whereas the Discoveries and Picards of the world are focused on season-long Big Bad main arcs, Strange New Worlds is focusing on new stories each week, but also telling its characters’ stories over the long haul. Those are the season-long arcs, and man, does it really work in the first five. – Scott Collura, IGN Movies
Good early reviews. It's episodic and it sounds like it works well.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:55 PM   #18
I'll be back.

Now I'm intrigued.

This is a lost art.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #19
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:58 PM   #20
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Just finished watching the first episode. It wasn't great, but good enough. The cast is exponentially better than those of Discovery or Picard. And it actually feels like Star Trek.
Going old school Trek. No season long arc. Why not try it? Can’t be worse than Picard season 1.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:10 AM   #21
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #22
Immanentize The Eschaton

I watched the first episode. I liked it. The show has potential. It's already better than Dicksuckery, Voyager, and Picard.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #23
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
It basically felt like a typical do-gooder episode - could have easily been a NG or Voyager script.

And while I was never particularly fond of those types of episodes, at least it's familiar and better than the other crap they've served up lately.
That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #24
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
That script could have been pitched and made in the 60's by Roddenberry for the original series.

Star Wars lost its way until it returned to its roots story telling in the Mandalorian. I hope Pike's crew can do the same.
I almost agree with you. Roddenberry was a shit storyteller. The sci-fi writers were what made the episodes.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #25
Supporter

Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.
Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Snica must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #26
Here We Go Again

First real Star Trek they've given us in a very long time.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #27
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snica View Post
Definitely enjoyed this. Looking forward to where it goes. Anson Mount nails it as Pike.
Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick."
Old 05-07-2022, 09:29 PM   #28
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
Yeah, I really like him as Pike. I've mentioned before that he's pretty much a combination of Kirk and Picard.

I do kind of take issue with the foreknowledge of death bit. I mean, seriously, you know the day and place you're going to die - be somewhere else that day. Reminds me of an old Dilbert strip, where Dilbert is sentenced to death by Catbert for attacking a vending machine. In the last frame he says, "the execution is scheduled for tomorrow. I should call in sick."
It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #29
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
It's problematic but it sets up a hell of a series finale. Because Pike didn't die. He was taken to that fantasy planet of butt-brain aliens to live out his days with a pretend smoke show in pretend paradise.
I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that.

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #30
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:
I really hope you didn't think that I didn't know that.

Still, I think I'd prefer being healthy and vital in reality over the Talos IV illusion.
Nah. It's just something that bothered me when watching the episode and I hope they play it off well.