Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #121
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Elon is not impressed.
With good reason. BO only got to about 1/10th the speed SpaceX has been trying to slow from.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #122
Banned

these two grew up together. i am concerned.
Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #123
You Sweetie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Pretty amazing, but that looked a little hairy at the end. Engines looked like they were gimballing like crazy.
you seem concerned & nice.
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #124
Fight, build, win!

I am just worried about the sand critters that obviously got fried in that landing. Oh PETA?
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #125
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
With good reason. BO only got to about 1/10th the speed SpaceX has been trying to slow from.
Do you by chance know the cost of a BO launch ready rocket?

I know Space X is in the 60-65 million range.
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #126
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Do you by chance know the cost of a BO launch ready rocket?

I know Space X is in the 60-65 million range.
Blue Origin has never launched anything into orbit, so there isn't really anything to compare SpaceX's costs to. I'm sure that BO's recent flight was considerably cheaper than that though given the significantly lower fuel requirements (ignoring all the R&D time anyway).
Old 12-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #127
Kind of a mod

Looks like SpaceX is aiming for December 15th to finally fly again. They will again be aiming to land the first stage, and this time it will be at their new facility on land (no barges).

Old 12-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #128
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Looks like SpaceX is aiming for December 15th to finally fly again. They will again be aiming to land the first stage, and this time it will be at their new facility on land (no barges).

Did they say why land instead of a barge?
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #129
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Did they say why land instead of a barge?
That's always been what they were aiming for. I'd imagine it's just a matter of the facility now being ready along with the confidence that they will hit the target at least even if it still falls over. I'm sure it's easier to land on land than on a barge also.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #130

Quote:
That's always been what they were aiming for. I'd imagine it's just a matter of the facility now being ready along with the confidence that they will hit the target at least even if it still falls over. I'm sure it's easier to land on land than on a barge also.
It sounds like a totally cool place to work..
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #131
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
It sounds like a totally cool place to work..
On the surface, sure, but it's pretty well-known that Musk is an insane workaholic and pretty much expects everyone else to be as well. I'm sure it's a very REWARDING place to work, but the hours are a bit much for most people.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #132

Quote:
On the surface, sure, but it's pretty well-known that Musk is an insane workaholic and pretty much expects everyone else to be as well. I'm sure it's a very REWARDING place to work, but the hours are a bit much for most people.
Hard to disagree, but in my humble opinion/observation few huge leaps have come from people who don't burn the midnight oil.

But I'm not lost on the fact that some people take it too far and drive away the very support they might want and need.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #133
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I work a pissload of hours, and I don't think I'm down for working there. Those mother****ers be crazy. And all for a wage.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #134
MVP

Quote:
It was my understanding that they were landing at Cape Canaveral, and the reason was to avoid the "moving target" that was the barge. I'd imagine they'd have less turbulent winds also.

This isn't to say they've given up on barge landings, but with the B.O. landing, and the willy nilly nature of public perception, no matter how wrong, the pressure is on.

They'll probably perfect landings on land, then move to the slightly more difficult barges.
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #135
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Yeah, I work a pissload of hours, and I don't think I'm down for working there. Those mother****ers be crazy. And all for a wage.
Probably for more than just a wage.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.