Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM  
sorta mod-ish

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #481
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Lol, we're still upset about the new Gorn? Come on, fellas.

I mean, is anyone really upset that the Gorn aren't more like the original depiction? Isn't this version more interesting and fun? I think so, and I think most people would agree.

Let's consider just enjoying the fact that finally after the Discovery fiasco, we at least have a really good ST series to watch again.
But the canon.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:22 PM   #482
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Connection View Post
But the canon.

Eh. I mean, i can get sticky about the canon sometimes. I guess I'm just kind of selective about it.

And the Gorn was always a pet peeve of mine from the first time I saw the original episode. Always thought the Gorn could've been so much more scary, but they chose to make them slow and kind of dumb, like the original '60s zombies. plodding along so slow that even my mother could outrun them.

Fast, kind of intelligent zombies are way more fun. Which is kind of how I see the new Gorn. Faster, smarter, and ultimately far more interesting and scary than the original.

I guess what 'm saying is, yeah i know they played pretty fast and loose with the canon, and they have to be careful about that, or they will turn the series into another Discovery POS. But in this case, I don't mind what they did, because it gave the ST universe another good adversary to work with.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #483
Veteran

I'm disappointed that a 'season' is ten episodes instead of twenty six...
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:16 PM   #484
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzkirk View Post
No shit. The f/x are movie quality and that likely eats up a ton of budget, but the writing has earned at least another 5 episodes per season. But no more singing episodes, tyvm.
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #485
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzkirk View Post

i think they were worried it wouldn't make any $$$. I remember Dane McCloud saying one time that the ST series weren't making any money. discovery was apparently a financial disaster, and before that DS9 did badly, and of course so did Enterprise.

They might've decided to go with fewer episodes in case it tanked as well.

Hopefully SNW is doing well, and they decide to up the number of episodes? Be great to have 20 or so.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:42 PM   #486
The Demon Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
i think they were worried it wouldn't make any $$$. I remember Dane McCloud saying one time that the ST series weren't making any money. discovery was apparently a financial disaster, and before that DS9 did badly, and of course so did Enterprise.

They might've decided to go with fewer episodes in case it tanked as well.

Hopefully SNW is doing well, and they decide to up the number of episodes? Be great to have 20 or so.
I'd rather see a rotation of 4 shows with 12 episodes a piece. That would cover 48 out of the 52 weeks in the year. For the remaining 4 weeks.... one Trek based movie/mini series that covers known events in the ST universe but from a different perspective or possibly advance new story lines in the series.

We get a 4 episode mini-series that gives Enterprise an actual send off.

Sisko returns.

Admiral Kim and a retired Tom Paris stumble across a, seemingly, new species only to find out that it is the amphibious monsters he fathered with Janeway coming to look for them.

One could involve Worf once again finding the Sword of Kahless and the path that takes him on.

Bashir gets a urgent message from Garak saying there has been an outbreak of a mutated strain of Rigelian Fever that is killing a bunch of people in Cardassia. He calls up his buddy Miles and all 3 team up to find that the fever was created in a lab in Wuhan Bajor by a former resistance member for whom the war isn't over.

I'll gladly watch a 4 episode mini series of Quark stepping up because the Breen have launched an invasion of Ferenginar. We finally get to see what the Breen look like under the masks. I'm betting they are actually Andorians that split away from the homeworld.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:04 AM   #487
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
I'd rather see a rotation of 4 shows with 12 episodes a piece.
They've been close to that, if you count the cartoons (5 shows, 10 episodes). They did slow it down this year by cancelling Prodigy and punting Discovery to 2024.

Quote:
We get a 4 episode mini-series that gives Enterprise an actual send off.
It occurs to me, T'Pol should still be alive in the timeframe of SNW. And I think Phlox should be too.
Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.Jamie would the whole thing.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:51 PM   #488
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Just started watching this.

I have no real feel for canon or anything. Seen all the movies; a handful of TOS, handful of TNG and really that's about it. 'Casual Fan' may be overstating things.

But Anson Mount is awesome and a sort of spiritual predecessor of Kirk is just a cool-ass role for him.

First two episodes in and I really like it. I realized at the end of the first episode that it actually picks up where a different show left off (Discovery) but it also doesn't seem like Discovery was all that good so I'm not likely to go back unless it seems necessary.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:34 PM   #489
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post

I have no real feel for canon or anything. Seen all the movies; a handful of TOS, handful of TNG and really that's about it. 'Casual Fan' may be overstating things.

But Anson Mount is awesome and a sort of spiritual predecessor of Kirk is just a cool-ass role for him.

First two episodes in and I really like it. I realized at the end of the first episode that it actually picks up where a different show left off (Discovery) but it also doesn't seem like Discovery was all that good so I'm not likely to go back unless it seems necessary.
Never watch Discovery. It is atrocious. All that you need to know about it for the purposes of this show is that Pike saw his unfortunate future in it (as depicted in TOS).

Despite some silly griping here at times, SNW is arguably the best version of Trek since DS9 in the mid 90s (and at a minimum, Enterprise in the early 2000s). There are some duds in it but some great ones as well (including in particular the S1 finale) and a pretty consistent quality level.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:37 PM   #490
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:

the parts with Anson and the rest of his crew were the best parts of Discovery. By far. Worth the watch. Definitely you get that Kirk vibe right off the bat. Skip the rest of Discovery.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:37 PM   #491
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:

the parts with Anson and the rest of his crew were the best parts of Discovery. By far. Worth the watch. Definitely you get that Kirk vibe right off the bat. Skip the rest of Discovery.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:47 AM   #492
Immanentize The Eschaton

Quote:

It has been a very good show. A breath of fresh air for the franchise. Definitely worth a watch. There has been legitimate criticism in this thread when the show runners do something stupid, like slapping the name of a classic "monster" on a new concept for instance, because it's weak and lazy storytelling. Most of us who are long time fans of the franchise don't care for weak, lazy storytelling and would rather that the show live up to its potential - because it certainly has great potential. Enjoy.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:18 AM   #493
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Connection View Post
Never watch Discovery. It is atrocious. All that you need to know about it for the purposes of this show is that Pike saw his unfortunate future in it (as depicted in TOS).

Despite some silly griping here at times, SNW is arguably the best version of Trek since DS9 in the mid 90s (and at a minimum, Enterprise in the early 2000s). There are some duds in it but some great ones as well (including in particular the S1 finale) and a pretty consistent quality level.
Yeah, just trying to do some Wikipedia surfing to see what I might need to know and I find out 'Wait - the captain is a mutinous former first officer who started an interstellar war that's led to the deaths of millions. And Starfleet is like - 'eh, bygones. You can be the captain of this cool new ship'...no thanks, I'm out"

That show looks friggen awful. They time jump midway through to try to salvage it I guess? Wtf?
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #494
"You like to drink?"

Arena Gorn is either a) a parallel species to the SNW Gorn a la the Aenar to the Andorians

or

b) a geriatric Gorn that has grown extremely fat and less agile.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #495
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Yeah, just trying to do some Wikipedia surfing to see what I might need to know and I find out 'Wait - the captain is a mutinous former first officer who started an interstellar war that's led to the deaths of millions. And Starfleet is like - 'eh, bygones. You can be the captain of this cool new ship'...no thanks, I'm out"

That show looks friggen awful. They time jump midway through to try to salvage it I guess? Wtf?
I assume that was the intent behind that move (in addition to providing an explanation about why Spock's "sister" was never mentioned), but it made the show exponentially worse. I think there's a decent argument Discovery is one of the worst shows on television at this point. I also assume CBS has recognized it sucks because they're mercifully ending it next year.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #496
Perpetual Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
Arena Gorn is either a) a parallel species to the SNW Gorn a la the Aenar to the Andorians

or

b) a geriatric Gorn that has grown extremely fat and less agile.
Whatever option helps people get over that potential blow to the canon easier. We absolutely can't upset the canon.