Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 01:23 PM  
__

The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.

What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:
  • Niang vs. the rookie for starting RT
  • if the rookie wins, Niang can slide into guard or hold the swing tackle position
  • if Niang wins, the rookie can slide into guard or hold the swing tackle position
  • the Chiefs love Fisher but if both Niang and the rookie excel, maybe they cut bait
  • if only one of them excel, the Chiefs can extend Fisher
It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #91
In Search of a Life

Or we could get lucky and have Durant or Rankin develop into the starter there. Thats best case scenario.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #92
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
Could Remmers fill in at LT until Fisher comes back? Re-sign Remmers and figure out RT.
The only problem is that Fisher's contract only had 1 year left on it.

They could easily go with a stop gap if Fisher were back in 2022 but as of right now, that's only happening if he signs an extension, during an injury year.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #93
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
About half come from the TOP TEN. We're not trading up that high.

The next 25% or so come in around 22-32 in the first. That's always possible.

The last 25% or so come from everywhere else, although the vast majority come in the 2nd round.

If you really want to pick up an OT, the best value move would like to be to trade DOWN, take one in the high 2nd and get back some picks.
With Fisher tearing an achilles, I'd think it's time to start looking for the next long term LT just in case.

75% of the LT's in the league come from the first so you'll have to probably start there. I dunno what I'd do. I haven't paid much attention to the current LT crop.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #94
In Search of a Life

Hell, call up the Texans and see what they'd take for Tunsil
Old 01-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #95
MVP

Quote:
So how does that help with the loss of Fisher?

You reach for an OT in the 1st with so many other needs and better value available only to plug him in on the right side and still have a gaping hole at LT.

Sorry man, that's just dumb.
Did I say reach for one? NO.

Did I say it's now an area of need? YES.

There are a few guys that might very well be best player available at #32 that happen to be OT's. And we have Niang returning, and we have TWO offensive tackle spots to fill. Certainly there are a few OT's that are being mocked right around there. That's not dumb. It's just that it's not what YOU want to do, so you're arguing against it, which is fine, but there's nothing dumb about it.

In your previous OT list, by the way, are some RT's. I don't think it's a wild stretch to say that most quality LT's are first rounders. It's just not.

Maybe we can fill the spots in FA, or one in FA, and one from within with a young guy moving up, and only Veach and Reid know what we have there.

But to say it's DUMB to take a guy that would be taken right around where we'll draft at a position that is now of dire need is ridiculous.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #96
MVP

Quote:
About half come from the TOP TEN. We're not trading up that high.

The next 25% or so come in around 22-32 in the first. That's always possible.

The last 25% or so come from everywhere else, although the vast majority come in the 2nd round.

If you really want to pick up an OT, the best value move would like to be to trade DOWN, take one in the high 2nd and get back some picks.
so which is it? am I DUMB for saying take one late in the first/early second or not? I'm confused.

I literally posted a mock in which I moved down into the upper second and took Mayfield. So both of my thoughts on the matter you indicate here are total possibilities; yet you previously called me stupid for saying we probably need to look at OT with our first pick.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #97
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Did I say reach for one? NO.

Did I say it's now an area of need? YES.

There are a few guys that might very well be best player available at #32 that happen to be OT's. And we have Niang returning, and we have TWO offensive tackle spots to fill. Certainly there are a few OT's that are being mocked right around there. That's not dumb. It's just that it's not what YOU want to do, so you're arguing against it, which is fine, but there's nothing dumb about it.

In your previous OT list, by the way, are some RT's. I don't think it's a wild stretch to say that most quality LT's are first rounders. It's just not.

Maybe we can fill the spots in FA, or one in FA, and one from within with a young guy moving up, and only Veach and Reid know what we have there.

But to say it's DUMB to take a guy that would be taken right around where we'll draft at a position that is now of dire need is ridiculous.
Sorry man, I shouldn't have said "dumb". You know full well what I think of you and your opinions. Much respect here and you know that.

OT is the same position it was before the injury. Most of the guys that could replace Eric Fisher right away are going top 10-15. We have no realistic or practical shot at those guys.

So we're sitting at #32, just like we always were, and there's guys available that were available before the injury. They're either worth #32 or they're not. Fisher's injury doesn't change our draft board at all.

Unless you're going to panic and take an OT at #32 that wasn't on the list prior to Fisher's injury. That would be a bad move, period.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #98
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
so which is it? am I DUMB for saying take one late in the first/early second or not? I'm confused.

I literally posted a mock in which I moved down into the upper second and took Mayfield. So both of my thoughts on the matter you indicate here are total possibilities; yet you previously called me stupid for saying we probably need to look at OT with our first pick.
I didn't see your mock until after I posted that - obviously, we agree.

See my previous post.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #99
In Search of a Life

I think you can forget about getting a legit blue chip type LT for sure. Those go way early, can't get that high.

Look at the developmental type
Old 01-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #100
Most Valuable Villain

So we need to come out of this draft with a center and a tackle. I think guard is good for the most part. Allegretti is probably your LG and barring something drastic happening....LDT is your RG.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #101
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I think you can forget about getting a legit blue chip type LT for sure. Those go way early, can't get that high.

Look at the developmental type
I have to wonder what Taylor Moton is going to cost.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #102
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Braden Smith, 2nd round (37)
Dion Dawkins, 2nd round (63)
Andrew Whitworth, 2nd round (55th)
Trent Brown, 7th round
Orlando Brown, Jr., 3rd round (83rd)
La'ell Collins UDFA
Mitchell Schwartz, 2nd round (37)
Terron Armstead, 3rd round (75th)
David Bakhtiar, 4th round (109th)
Taylor Moton, 2nd round (64th)

And that doesn't include guys that were drafted in the 1st but after pick 22 (Duane Brown, Bryan Bulaga, Isaiah Wynn, Anthony Costanzo, Ryan Ramczyk,
Lots of ways to skin the cat. It still all comes down to me to who they feel is the best value in that spot.

If it's a T like Jaylen Mayfield or Teven Jenkins, or a WR like our boy Marshall, or a DE like Azeez or Phillips or Odeyingbo, OK. All work for me.

This is, fortunately, a really good T draft.

Quote:
I have a bit of inside info on Fisher, apparently he was planning to retire at the end of this current contract but if the Chiefs were gonna give him another contract I doubt he would. He loves it in KC.
I had heard the same on Mitchell Schwartz, actually.

Makes the Niang pick even more interesting. I assume Veach is aware both are mulling retirement rather than extension.

Fisher has been so good for them and so critical to the team's success... I have a feeling they'll try to take care of him in some way. Maybe that means they extend him to reduce this year's cap hit and spread out the cost of cutting him over two years or something like that (or give him the option to see how rehab goes and come back in 2022 for one more year).
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #103
In Search of a Life

Quote:
I have to wonder what Taylor Moton is going to cost.
I think they'll have to get creative. I like the idea of drafting and developing one, but we'll just have to see.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #104
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
I think they'll have to get creative. I like the idea of drafting and developing one, but we'll just have to see.
I don't see them going into next season with a rookie on one side and Niang, who will essentially be a rookie, on the other side.

They need two tackles and at least one of them needs to be a vet, IMO.

I guess we will see.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #105
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Lots of ways to skin the cat. It still all comes down to me to who they feel is the best value in that spot.

If it's a T like Jaylen Mayfield or Teven Jenkins, or a WR like our boy Marshall, or a DE like Azeez or Phillips or Odeyingbo, OK. All work for me.

This is, fortunately, a really good T draft.

I had heard the same on Mitchell Schwartz, actually.

Makes the Niang pick even more interesting. I assume Veach is aware both are mulling retirement rather than extension.

Fisher has been so good for them and so critical to the team's success... I have a feeling they'll try to take care of him in some way. Maybe that means they extend him to reduce this year's cap hit and spread out the cost of cutting him over two years or something like that (or give him the option to see how rehab goes and come back in 2022 for one more year).
Yeah, you gotta figure Niang slots in there somewhere. He was good at LT at TCU, so if he can do it, you put him there IMO.