Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM  
Stay positive, don't give up

Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet'

@LightsCameraPod: Christopher Nolan's next project is a spy-related movie titled 'Tenet'.

It will star John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh, Dimple Kapadia, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Clémence Poésy.

The movie releases on July 17, 2020. https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/...014658/photo/1

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

Casts Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh

By*JUSTIN KROLL

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in*Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet.”
Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes John David Washington, Elizabeth Debicki, and Robert Pattinson.
“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.
Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.
Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide. It is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2020.
“Tenet” is Nolan’s follow-up to the Oscar-nominated war drama “Dunkirk.” That film became a huge box office hit, collecting $526 million in ticket sales across the globe. It also earned Nolan his first directing Oscar. Nolan’s acclaimed arsenal of work also includes “The Dark Knight” trilogy, “Inception,” and “Interstellar.”
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #91
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru View Post
It reminded me of Sensurround in the 70s. Several times my chair was vibrating.

But like I said, dialogue is a problem. After the movie some guy in the lobby was complaining to an employee about it.
That’s disappointing. Not sure why Nolan has to mix it like that?
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #92
21st Century Schizoid Fan

This pretty much is how I feel. (There are NO spoilers in this piece.)

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...ing-in-a-film/

Quote:
Tenet, and admitting you haven’t a clue what’s happening in a film

28th August 2020 | by Simon Brew | 102 Comments

As more and more people find the narrative of Christopher Nolan’s Tenet near-impossible to follow, a few words about admitting you haven’t a bloody clue what’s going on.

This article contains no plot spoilers for Tenet.

I’m one of those people who, as a rule, tends to assume that I’m the problem. That if there’s a bit in a film or television show that I’m struggling to wrap my head around, there’s some part of the storytelling circuit that I feel I’m not completing.

I felt it when I lost track of who half of the characters were in the latter seasons of Game Of Thrones, for instance. I got it when I reached the end of mother! and felt that, whilst it was clearly distinctive, I should have liked it more than I actually did. And I’ve felt it again coming out of watching Tenet, the latest box of puzzles from Christopher Nolan.

I should declare up front: I’m a huge Christopher Nolan fan, and as better people than me have pointed out, his films routinely treat the audience as intelligent. He’s always got the balance pretty much spot on for me too, in terms of measuring that intelligence in tandem with outright accessibility. The closest he’s perhaps come to blurring that I’d suggest comes at a certain point in Interstellar, but crucially, by the time he starts throwing a few particular moments into that film that I have no intention of spoiling in this article, he’d got the vast majority of the audience utterly bought in. There were crumbs laid as to what he was up to, and I was keen to go back and have another run at the film. I’m glad I did.

In the case of Tenet, it straight away goes without saying what a pleasure it is to see such an ambitious film on a huge screen, made within the studio system by a man who I’d argue has long dispensed of any kind of focus group. The sheer spectacle of Tenet is really something, and I was constantly engaged by the visuals of the film, and the ambition on the screen. Heck, it was nice to be in a cinema, and it’d be remiss not to acknowledge the novelty of a new big blockbuster release.

Here’s the problem, though: for large parts, I couldn’t tell you what was actually going on in the film. Even now, two days later when I’ve had time to think about it, I’d struggle. It feels a bit like I’ve failed an exam. Genuinely, it quickly got to the stage where I’d have been guessing if someone had paused the film and set a test on what I’d seen thus far.

Thinking as usual that it was me, when I left the cinema I asked the two other people who I’d gone with – both of whom have active brains in their heads – about certain points in the film, and they were perplexed too. Between us, we barely had a Scooby Doo what had been happening. For all three of us to walk out of a film like that had never happened before.

I should declare that I’d avoided all reviews and trailers going into the film, so genuinely hadn’t read a synopsis or seen a frame of footage of the movie when I took my seat. I may have been at a disadvantage for that. Some foreknowledge, I’ve concluded, wouldn’t have hurt.

Still, I caught up on the reviews when I got home, and for once, I didn’t feel like I was entirely the problem. Writers I like and respect had posted their reviews and there was a consensus forming that you just have to go with the spectacle and audacity of it all, and not to try to actually wrap your head around it.

The terrific Robbie Collin, for instance, penned a review at The Telegraph entitled “don’t try to understand it – just rewind and enjoy the ride”. He loved the ride too, awarding the film top marks. The New Scientist – and the folks there are much cleverer than me – describe the film as “time twisting fun that is head-spinningly hard to grasp”. Empire throws in the word “baffling” into its summary. My colleague, Charlotte Harrison, said that she enjoyed it and truly appreciated it, but noted there were “extended periods of time where you have absolutely no idea what is happening”.

In fact, it’s a struggle to find any review that doesn’t make mention of just what a narratively tricky film to follow it is. Even from the people who really love the movie.

I’m, thus, going to be that guy. I think if a film is baffling large numbers of people, that there’s a sporting chance there’s something not quite right with it.

Furthermore, I’d also like to posit this: if Christopher Nolan hadn’t made the film, who we know to be brilliant, would it be getting the benefit of the doubt that the movie’s woven narrative is receiving?

I’ve no intention of spoiling the plot of the film, and not just because I forgot to get an MSc before I went to see it. But I do think this: a film, somewhere along the line, has to give you some way in for it to fully work. Tenet, understandably, features necessary explain-y scenes, and there are moments of exposition fired at you. Unfortunately, also fired at you is a continual grumble for me where Nolan’s films are concerned: a lot of loud noise at the same time. It’s sometimes very difficult to hear the dialogue. That in the case of Tenet, explanations are played out against roaring water, or the ultra-loud score, or a character wearing a mask. The bottom line is I and many others are struggling to hear what’s being said. In doing so, the film is putting obstacles in the way of following what’s going on.

The counter argument, that Nolan has said before, is that it’s deliberate. That the busy soundscape is part of the effect. I’ve never bought that explanation – what’s wrong with wanting to hear dialogue? – but I did want to put the alternate point of view.

Anyway, those without perfect hearing – and mine isn’t bad – are already at a disadvantage (and I do think that’s a broader issue here). Yet what ultimately doesn’t help is that Tenet like my old maths teacher.

I won’t name her, but she was brilliant, fascinating and distinctive. Still, that didn’t stop her tearing off making notes on the board, explaining stuff, and not giving you moments to stop and ask questions. If you told her you were struggling to keep up, she’d say ‘nonsense’ with a big grin on her face, and promptly add another paragraph of bumph on top. And you’d go along with it because she was brilliant, before realising you’d barely taken anything in at the end of the lesson.

Tenet, in its defence, does have moments when the characters stop to do a summary of sorts. Yet – outside of an initial explanation near the start of the film – it just baffled me. There’s something for me about the writing of the film that didn’t quite connect. I assumed, as always, that I was the problem.

But reading the plethora of reviews, of comments, and of articles already from people struggling with the film, maybe I’m not. I’d suggest that a sizeable number of people will be hunting for a plot explainer within 24 hours of seeing the film, and that the website that manages the best breakdown of it all – not this one, as you can tell – will be Google’s best friend for the next month.

I know I’m supposed to join the ‘just go with it’ argument, and I really see it. But conversely, why is the film getting what seems like a free pass for being so confusing for so many people?

I don’t think, after some thought, that it’s an unreasonable expectation of an audience member to be given a sporting chance of being able to follow a film. Sure, I’m already seeing messages from many saying that they followed it perfectly well and didn’t see what the problem is. Brilliant. I’m genuinely glad it’s working for some people. And I accept that many followed Game Of Thrones with ease, and plenty champion mother!

Yet every single Christopher Nolan movie to this point has made me feel included, has sometimes stretched my brain a bit, but crucially he’s never made me feel that I needed briefing notes on the way in.

With Tenet, I think for the first time the balance is off, and by some distance. I’m reading pieces now that suggest you need a second viewing to understand it, and I’m all for that. I love a second viewing of a film where you spot more things, get a deeper understanding of the movie, and get to enjoy it even more. Going back to Interstellar, a second watch really enriched that film for me. But crucially, I never felt a second viewing was vital to simply get a handle on the actual plot of the film.

In the case of Tenet, I’m almost feeling obliged and pressured to watch the film twice, as if it’s homework. I didn’t walk out thinking I actively want to see it again, I walked out thinking I should do, to fill in the gaps that silly old me missed. And I don’t think that’s the way it should be. As the UK reviewer Dave Roper noted on Twitter, “I think there’s a difference between a film that’s rich enough that you get new things out of repeat viewings and one that defies comprehension unless you watch it over and over”.

Because I can’t get away from this point: right now, if you ask me – and I suspect many others – to explain just what went on in Tenet, without cheating, we’d fall short. Way short. If you asked the same people how many of them heard all the dialogue – and I did a straw poll online on this – I’d reckon most people didn’t, and felt it hurt their understanding of the film. And I think these are bigger problems than are being recognised.

I liked good chunks of Tenet. I will watch it again. I love what Nolan does, the fact that he can get the film through the studio system, and make features like this exist in the first place. I hope I come to love the film.

At the moment though, I’m frustrated with it
, fascinated as to the testing process for the movie (if there was one), and don’t believe the sizeable issues with it should be brushed aside.

Because as things stand, most people’s only chance of getting the most of out the movie’s narrative rest on the film getting a fairer fresh sound mix, and a print-off of the Wikipedia summary page being handed out by the exit. At the very least, the film surely needs to make an effort to meet you half-way in helping you wrap your heard around it.

Tenet, for me, doesn’t.
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #93
Veteran

There is not enough adderall in the world for me to take to understand what the **** is going on in Tenet.
Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #94
Perpetual Mediocrity

I think this will be aided by multiple rewatches over time (as I think most Nolan movies are), but I will say it was one of the most confusing and difficult to follow movies I've ever seen. I expect that will be the initial reaction from most on first watch. The experience as a viewer is akin to basically trying to solve a really difficult puzzle for 2.5 hours.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #95
Perpetual Mediocrity

I also didn't notice anything wrong with the sound but I was at a drive-in.
KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.KC_Connection 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #96
"You like to drink?"

Liked it a lot, but the sound mixing and the plot point requiring gas mask use made the dialog really hard to follow.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #97
Banned

Tenet

This movie amazed me! Very good game by robert pattison! Didn't even expect this from him! An interesting plot of the film! I advise everyone!
oliverwilson1987 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #98
Cheaterlover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverwilson1987 View Post
This movie amazed me! Very good game by robert pattison! Didn't even expect this from him! An interesting plot of the film! I advise everyone!
**** off, Nolan, we’re not buying it. Just clean up your damn sound mix, troll!
JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #99
Ain't no relax!

Mixed feelings. It was entertaining and full of action sequences that were really impressive. But the plot was super confusing.

Spoiler!
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #100
My work speaks for itself!!!

I read an interview with Nolan, and he claims the sound mix is his intent.

He said he likes scenes where music or sound effects can move the narrative along as much or more than the dialogue.

He went as far as saying that often the dialogue doesnt matter (I think that was directly referencing the studio asking for Bane's dialogue to be "fixed).
DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.DJJasonp has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #101
21st Century Schizoid Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Mixed feelings. It was entertaining and full of action sequences that were really impressive. But the plot was super confusing.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #102
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru View Post
Spoiler!
That's an interesting idea, and sounds very Nolanish.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:08 AM   #103
Veteran

Caught this yesterday and thought it was entertaining as hell (very confusing at times though but no biggie as its sci fi after all) . Also, had to have been one of the loudest films I've ever seen in theaters. Would recommend it to any fans of sci fi.
sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sully1983 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #104
MVP

He needs some help in post production. A lot of his movies feel very amateurish based on sound and editing. This was for sure a bottom tier nolan film that I might have liked only a little bit more than Dunkirk based on the awesome locales and cinematography. Otherwise it was a mess that I was mostly witnessesing and not absorbing. I have no desire to see it again to try and figure it out.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #105
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeauford View Post
He needs some help in post production. A lot of his movies feel very amateurish based on sound and editing.
Nolan has final say over his films, so what you see and hear is exactly as he intended
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.