Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM  
Resident Glue Sniffer

Megadeth > Metallica

To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.

Last edited by Dayze; 01-27-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #316
MFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
IMO, Butch Vig will never receive enough credit for making Nirvana appealing to the masses.
I also think Andy Wallace's mix was a big help for that album.

Apparently the band hated the mix because the drums were too "clean". (he replaced the bass an snare sounds with his signature sounds)

Compare Butch's initial mix to Andy's and anyone can see how Wallace helped make them more appealing, not to mention the countless other successes he had with other bands in that era.

But yes, Nirvana probably wouldn't have been anything at all without Butch and Kurt Cobain may still be alive because Courtney would've stayed with Billy Corgan and wouldn't have had Kurt shot in the face.
Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #317
In Search of a Life

This is pretty funny. For those of you that remember 'The Ben Still Show' and that era. Stiller really nails the James Hetfield of that time.

Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #318
In Search of a Life

Htismage, you probably already know about this....

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Peace-In...timategui0f-20
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #319
World's finest morphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Sweating Bullets is iconic. You guys are silly.
That used to be my go to album for first person shooters, lol

I must think it was that it got so much playtime on MTV that people hate it.

Last edited by morphius; 01-25-2021 at 12:12 PM..
morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #320
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
This is pretty funny. For those of you that remember 'The Ben Still Show' and that era. Stiller really nails the James Hetfield of that time.

The Ben Stiller Show was brilliant.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #321
In Search of a Life

This kid rocks! Which CP member is this?

Old 05-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #322
'Tis my eye!

Super Collider arrives today and my Megadeth album catalog is complete!
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #323
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
This kid rocks! Which CP member is this?

Heh. Ive been practicing For Whom the Bells Tolls on my bass lately.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #324

As far as this debate goes, here's my 2cents:

Instrumentally, they're both dope and almost interchangeable. Both are rich in sinister riffs that make you feel like a demon-summoning bad ass that sets cars ablaze with your sheer presence.

The difference to me is in the frontman, and i just think Hetfield is a superior front man to Mustaine.

They both have voices that suit the genre, i just prefer Hetfield's sound.

If both bands were derived from the pits of hell, Mustaine would be an Imp-demon and Hetfield would be a Warlord. That's how they sound to me lol.

Also, For Whom The Bell Tolls and Creeping Death are two of the best Metal songs ever made imo. Those songs ooze bad-assness and make me feel like i can shoot fireballs out of my eyes.

The first 1.5mins of For Whom the Bell Tolls is pretty much the coolest first 1.5min of any song ever, in the history of ever songs. Ever.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #325
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
As far as this debate goes, here's my 2cents:

Instrumentally, they're both dope and almost interchangeable. Both are rich in sinister riffs that make you feel like a demon-summoning bad ass that sets cars ablaze with your sheer presence.

The difference to me is in the frontman, and i just think Hetfield is a superior front man to Mustaine.

They both have voices that suit the genre, i just prefer Hetfield's sound.

If both bands were derived from the pits of hell, Mustaine would be an Imp-demon and Hetfield would be a Warlord. That's how they sound to me lol.
Sorry. I just can't agree with this bolded part at all.

Megadeth is a symphony and Metallica is a garage band when it comes to instrumentation.

As a guitarist, I can honestly say the bands haven't been even remotely similar in 30 years. When Marty joined Megadeth and Metallica went off doing pseudo-grunge, they went in completely different directions.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #326
Rookie

Quote:

Megadeth is a symphony and Metallica is a garage band when it comes to instrumentation.

As a guitarist, I can honestly say the bands haven't been even remotely similar in 30 years. When Marty joined Megadeth and Metallica went off doing pseudo-grunge, they went in completely different directions.
What do you think of Gojira? They're currently at the top of my go-to list for metal.
AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AdolfOliverBush has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #327

Quote:

Yeah i figured this response was coming. I don't get that technical with it nor am i going to pretend like i know either band's catalogs well enough to comment on it.

Music is an emotional experience for me. Like ive always said i need to be able to either:

Drive to it.

Play to it.

**** to it.

Smoke to it.

Chill to it.

If i can't do those things with it then it doesn't qualify.

I categorize these instrumentations as interchangeable to me because they both give the same vibes in the same sort of way. They both invoke the same emotion and the same imagery. To me at least.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #328
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush View Post
What do you think of Gojira? They're currently at the top of my go-to list for metal.
Big fan, actually.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #329
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Yeah i figured this response was coming. I don't get that technical with it nor am i going to pretend like i know either band's catalogs well enough to comment on it.

Music is an emotional experience for me. Like ive always said i need to be able to either:

Drive to it.

Play to it.

**** to it.

Smoke to it.

Chill to it.

If i can't do those things with it then it doesn't qualify.

I categorize these instrumentations as interchangeable to me because they both give the same vibes in the same sort of way. They both invoke the same emotion and the same imagery. To me at least.
Hmmm...let me see if I can frame it in your terms.

First I should note that music is an emotional experience for me too. But it's also an intellectual experience. If I want to listen to dark, untechnical sludge, I go listen to Sunn O or something. If I want to listen to something more musically stimulating, I might find some power metal like Narnia. I'm not strictly a technique snob, I do listen to a lot of dirt.

For me, Metallica operates in an in-between area that is neither emotionally nor intellectually stimulating enough to keep my interest.

By your criteria, I can drive, smoke, and chill to Metallica pre-AJFA. After that, I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard, especially when I smoke. There's no "vibe" to it. It sounds to me like a band that decided to change their entire persona to be more popular. Whereas, Megadeth actually took on a guitar virtuoso to move them in a more musically satisfying direction. Sometimes when I'm in that mood, I want to here complexity and nuance that a more dynamic music brings.

And finally, who ****s to Metallica or Megadeth? Are you sleeping with 16 year olds?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #330
Veteran

I like Metallica's music a lot more than Megadeth. Having said that, I think they are douchbag sell-outs and I'll never give them another nickel of my money. So I guess Dave wins by default.

Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.