Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 11-06-2020, 03:06 PM  
The Demon Preacher

Video Card chat

I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #106
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambaBerry View Post
That Rick and Morty picture is awesome
I like it too. It’s a Run the Jewels theme. Got it from here, it’s on canvas and comes in different sizes. They did a good job and delivery was prompt especially considering they are in Canada.

https://canvasportal.com/products/ri...s-wall-hanging
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #107
When a nightmare becomes real

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/

Any alternatives I should be looking at?

I currently have a GTX 1070. Wanting to upgrade to either the new 3060 TI or a 3070 at some point but obviously can't find them.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #108
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy View Post
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/

Any alternatives I should be looking at?

I currently have a GTX 1070. Wanting to upgrade to either the new 3060 TI or a 3070 at some point but obviously can't find them.
Not sure I would recommend that monitor for you. Especially if you plan on getting a 3070 in the future. You want a monitor with G-Sync capability to take advantage of that high refresh rate potential. With this monitor and your NVidia GPU, you'll be limited to 60Hz refresh rate. The difference between gaming at 60Hz and 144Hz is amazing. You should probably also consider bumping up to 1440p resolution. This one is limited to 1080p. Like I said, if you could see the difference side by side between 1080p 60Hz and 1440p 144Hz, you'd immediately justify spending the extra money.

The problem though, is that you won't find many/any monitors with G-Sync in anything over ~35". Only Freesync(AMD GPU) at that width.

You might also want to consider a monitor that has native 21:9. This one is native 32:9, which is going to display a lot of media as cut off, stretched, or black bars on the sides.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #109
Ain't no relax!

This would be a better alternative(34" Curved, 1440p, 144Hz) for a little bit more: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-...08FXGXJBH?th=1

Or if you really wanted something closer to that size(38" Curved, 1600p, 144Hz), look at this bad boy: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-...08FXGXJBH?th=1

EDIT: Here's your 49"er with G-Sync. 240Hz refresh too. HDR. Wow. Little pricey though: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-49-in...86&sr=8-2&th=1
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Not sure I would recommend that monitor for you. Especially if you plan on getting a 3070 in the future. You want a monitor with G-Sync capability to take advantage of that high refresh rate potential. With this monitor and your NVidia GPU, you'll be limited to 60Hz refresh rate. The difference between gaming at 60Hz and 144Hz is amazing. You should probably also consider bumping up to 1440p resolution. This one is limited to 1080p. Like I said, if you could see the difference side by side between 1080p 60Hz and 1440p 144Hz, you'd immediately justify spending the extra money.

The problem though, is that you won't find many/any monitors with G-Sync in anything over ~35". Only Freesync(AMD GPU) at that width.

You might also want to consider a monitor that has native 21:9. This one is native 32:9, which is going to display a lot of media as cut off, stretched, or black bars on the sides.
Gotcha - thanks for the input. My main interest is a large monitor (49" would fit the bill). My current monitor is 120hz and I don't want to give that up either.

Given your input, should I be shopping AMD GPU's instead? I really don't have a preference, i've just always bought Nvidia.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #111
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Gotcha - thanks for the input. My main interest is a large monitor (49" would fit the bill). My current monitor is 120hz and I don't want to give that up either.

Given your input, should I be shopping AMD GPU's instead? I really don't have a preference, i've just always bought Nvidia.
AMD GPU is definitely an option too, if you really want that monitor. Freesync would give you that 144Hz refresh rate. The new AMD's are pretty stout.

I'd still recommend 1440p over 1080p though.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:25 PM   #112
Time Keeps On Slipping

Fish, didn't Nvidia get scared and make their cards compatible with Freesync like a year ago?
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #113
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
Fish, didn't Nvidia get scared and make their cards compatible with Freesync like a year ago?
Kind of. They still have some “G-Sync Compatible” requirements for that to work though. So it strictly depends on the monitor itself. Most current Freesync-only monitors probably will not work. Usually if it's capable of it, the seller will list it as "G-Sync compatible" or it will be verified by users in the comments as such. Because it's so sought after.

Here's what NVidia says:

Quote:
Even though AMD Radeon GPUs and some FreeSync monitors support Adaptive Sync over HDMI, Nvidia says you’ll need to connect your GeForce GPU to your FreeSync monitor using a DisplayPort cable to activate variable refresh rates. (G-Sync monitors only work over DisplayPort as well.) Update: Adaptive Sync is only being enabled on GTX 10-series and RTX 20-series graphics cards as well, with no plans to activate it in older GPUs.

And only Adaptive Sync displays certified as “G-Sync Compatible” are guaranteed to work well with Nvidia graphics cards. If you try manually activating G-Sync on other FreeSync monitors, “It may work, it may work partly, or it may not work at all,” Nvidia says. Unlike G-Sync displays, which are all fully tested and certified by Nvidia, FreeSync monitors are built around an open standard with much less oversight.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #114
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
Yes.

Believe it has to be Freesync v2.0 though
FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #115

And whoa, another cool feature that I didn't know about. The ability to hook up two devices at a time. My primary reason for replacing my 2 27" monitors was to use Powertoys for a better split screen functionality for work, and use one of my 27" with my laptop docking station.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #116
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
And whoa, another cool feature that I didn't know about. The ability to hook up two devices at a time. My primary reason for replacing my 2 27" monitors was to use Powertoys for a better split screen functionality for work, and use one of my 27" with my laptop docking station.
Helllll yeah. Most cards these days will push 4 monitors...
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Helllll yeah. Most cards these days will push 4 monitors...
I meant - the monitor supports 2 separate inputs simultaneously.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #118
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
I meant - the monitor supports 2 separate inputs simultaneously.
That's what she said.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #119
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
That's what she said.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #120
lifelong Chiefs survivor

My son is also in the process of building his first gaming computer. A gamer friend of his gave him a list of components that he recommended, which included an MSI 3060 ti trio.
We can't find it in stock anywhere.
We have found (gone now) the MSI 3060 ti Ventus (only 2 fans) and an EVGA 3060 ti. Do the brands make much difference? The component list had an MSI motherboard, is that why they recommended the MSI version of the 3060?
Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.