Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM  
Supporter

Trimming the cord, not ready to cut it?

Do you have a HD antenna? Ours actually gives us a better picture than Satellite and it is in our attic over 50 miles from the Springfield stations.

We haven't had a cord totally cut yet, but have we been on the satellite for almost 30 years now, so it is a big step.

After over 22 years with DTV we switched to Dish a few years ago because we hated the change of DTV to ATT corporate.

For the last two years, we have been faced with major networks pulling their broadcasts from Dish, CBS, NFLnetwork and Fox, etc.
"
Have any of you used the "cut the cord" dvrs sold on Amazon such as this? https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recas...s%2C545&sr=8-3

I look forward to a good discussion of this from the CP braintrust and want to learn.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Ain't no relax!

So, I cannot speak for the Recast model, but I own several of the normal FireTV models, and have family I support that own just about every different model of FireTV box/stick/etc. I'm a huge fan of the FireTV platform. They are reasonably priced, allow for install of any .apk packages which allows for the install of apps that access free streaming of sports/movies/TV, and they're easy to use.

I would recommend going with the 1TB/4 tuner version though. It's a small price difference for a considerable performance increase.

There are a few other devices that work too like the HDHomerun box, but the Recast is probably your best bet.

Like I said, I have no experience with the OTA DVR portion of FireTV, but myself and others here have a great deal of experience doing everything else with it. So you'd have a great help resource there.

Good luck. It's worth it.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Ain't no relax!

If you do go with a FireTV device, I highly recommend getting this cheap adapter that allows for ethernet and multiple USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJXW/?tag=aftvn-20

The FireTV performs much better on ethernet if available. If there's any way to run ethernet cable to your main device, it's absolutely worth it. But if not, make sure you have a good wifi router and one of the later generation FireTV devices, and it should be fine.

The reason you want extra USB ports is that allows you to use wireless keyboard/mouse or add external storage.

Note: The referenced adapter does not work with the Gen1 FireTV Stick. You likely won't find one of those really old devices, but I thought I should mention.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:18 AM   #4
Here We Go Again

Springfield is on the list to be upgraded to ATSC 3.0, so you might want to look into getting a DVR/Tuner that would work with it instead.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/...un-connect-4k/

This is the best priced ATSC 3.0 tuner I can find. Not sure how you would go about using attached storage as a DVR, but there seems to be options.
lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.lawrenceRaider has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
The Demon Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
"
Have any of you used the "cut the cord" dvrs sold on Amazon such as this? https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recas...s%2C545&sr=8-3

I look forward to a good discussion of this from the CP braintrust and want to learn.
I actually just use my computer. A TV tuner card plus free software Sichbo PVR.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Supporter

Thanks to each of you for your help. I have a lot to learn here.

Last edited by HemiEd; 12-04-2020 at 08:14 AM..
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
'Tis my eye!

Just follow Fish' advice and you'll be fine. Just make sure he's available to answer questions, you'll have them.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #8
'Tis my eye!

I will say this anecdotally.

We cut the satellite feed a few years ago now and went to antenna.

At first, not having a DVR was difficult. But with the advent of live TV enhancements to streaming services and changes to our viewing habits, I have no need for a DVR anymore.

I know it seems like you're giving up crack or something but you'll look back in 4 or 5 years and realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
I will say this anecdotally.

We cut the satellite feed a few years ago now and went to antenna.

At first, not having a DVR was difficult. But with the advent of live TV enhancements to streaming services and changes to our viewing habits, I have no need for a DVR anymore.

I know it seems like you're giving up crack or something but you'll look back in 4 or 5 years and realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.
I can appreciate that htismaqe, thanks. Kind of feels like you are getting something for free, right? Love it.

For the last two seasons, I have had to watch the CBS Chiefs broadcasts on antenna, without a dvr to pause for bathroom and refreshment breaks.

Watching what seems like endless commercials is the main issue for me, but it also kind of brings back old memories of timing the commercials to get back to the game in time.

We really like several CBS shows, but I can't even get a grip around dealing with their commercials if I don't have to, thus the desire to implement a DVR.

Also there is that thing about watching a show when you want to, so we have kind of diverted to Netflix and Amazon.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
Supporter

Quote:
Just follow Fish' advice and you'll be fine. Just make sure he's available to answer questions, you'll have them.
He certainly seems to know what he is talking about and is on top of it. From 74 to 82 I was actually in the tv business both on the repair and sales side.

Holy crap has it changed!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
I can appreciate that htismaqe, thanks. Kind of feels like you are getting something for free, right? Love it.

For the last two seasons, I have had to watch the CBS Chiefs broadcasts on antenna, without a dvr to pause for bathroom and refreshment breaks.

Watching what seems like endless commercials is the main issue for me, but it also kind of brings back old memories of timing the commercials to get back to the game in time.

We really like several CBS shows, but I can't even get a grip around dealing with their commercials if I don't have to, thus the desire to implement a DVR.

Also there is that thing about watching a show when you want to, so we have kind of diverted to Netflix and Amazon.
My TV can pause so I have that. I can't record shows but it has a rolling 90minute buffer that it stores on a USB stick.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #12
MONTANA #19

There is a reason that ATT is looking to sell DirecTV. StarLink internet is coming to rural areas in the next few months and streaming is about to replace it for many dish based users.
arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
My TV can pause so I have that. I can't record shows but it has a rolling 90minute buffer that it stores on a USB stick.
That is cool. Is the picture quality the same on playback?
Old 12-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
That is cool. Is the picture quality the same on playback?
Yeah, it's not distinguishable.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation View Post
There is a reason that ATT is looking to sell DirecTV. StarLink internet is coming to rural areas in the next few months and streaming is about to replace it for many dish based users.
We all laughed when AT&T bought DirecTV anyway. Nothing like entering the market 10 years too late.