Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 02-09-2020, 03:54 AM  
Veteran

2/9 Mock

This is probably my last one (or I might do one more draft only mock after the FA excitement is over).

I don't really love how this one turned out, I started with the premise of "how much can I beef up the Oline?" and then tried to see how much else I could fit around that after I did it. It's pretty tight against the cap as is, I would be much happier with it if there was some kind of contract extension for Kelce or someone that could free up a little cap for 1 more addition but that stuff is too fiddly for me.

Anyway, without further ado:

Moves

Chiefs Cut Sammy Watkins, Cam Erving, LDT

Chris Jones is tagged and then traded to The Seahawks for their 1st round pick in 2020 (27) and their 2nd round pick in 2021.

The Chiefs give Mahomes a multi year extension, the 2020 impact of which is +3.5m (once again, shamelessly stolen from KCCrow mock)

Free Agent Signings:

Brandon Scherff - G (4 years $45m, 2020 impact ~$8m). Three time pro bowl guard, expensive as a former #5 overall pick but we going down the protect Mahomes at all costs route.

Graham Glasgow – G/C (4 years $28m, 2020 impact ~$6m). Hope you like fatties. We’re also keeping Wis, I would expect Glasgow to start at guard and Wis and Reiter compete for the center job.

Greg Olsen – TE (2 years $8m, 2020 impact ~$4m). Veteran with a few years left at most who will want a ring.

Brian Poole – CB (3 years $14m, 2020 impact ~$4m). Low key good slot corner, hopefully could be had for cheap ish considering I don’t think he will get a lot of hype

Re-signings

Matt Moore (2 years $4m, 2020 impact ~$1.5m)
Mike Pennel (2 years $2.5m, 2020 impact ~$1m)
Stefen Wisnieswski (1 year $1.5m)
Reggie Ragland (1 year $1m)
ERFAs retained: Yelder, Wylie, Kemp

Draft:
1. (from Seattle) DT Ross Blacklock
1. CB Jeff Gladney
2. CB Jaylon Johnson
3. DE Bradlee Anae
4. WR Isaiah Hodgins
5. RB Michael Warren II

Roster:
QB: Mahomes, Moore, Shurmur
RB: Williams, Williams, Thompson, Warren
FB: Lovett
WR: Hill, Hardman, Hodgins, Pringle, Kemp
TE: Kelce, Olsen, Yelder
OL: Fisher, Glasgow, Wisnieswski, Scherff, Schwartz, Reiter, Rankins, Wylie, Allegretti,
DE: Clark, Okafor, Kpassagnon, Speaks, Anae
DT: Nnadi, Blacklock, Saunders, Pennel,
LB: Wilson, Hitchens, Ragland, Niemann, O'Daniel
CB:Ward, Gladney, Johnson, Poole, Fenton
S: Mathieu, Thornhill, Watts, Sorenson,
ST: Butker, Colquitt, Winchester

General thoughts:
As I said at the top, priority number 1 in this was fatties and I think this could be a beastly unit. The wide receiver situation isn't great, and this is probably where I would try and add 1 more vet piece if I could free up some cap via an extension. Hopefully adding another veteran tight end would take some pressure of the young wideouts. I was looking for a late round running back to add to this when Crow posted his thread about Warren II yesterday, so yes I stole the idea from there.

The linebacker group is still the weak spot of the defense, I feel less good about leaving it unimproved than I did before the Superbowl, where the 49ers outside running plan really showed that our linebackers just aren't fast enough. I would still hope that Spags would find some way to use the existing talent of DOD and Watts to add speed to the defense, as we're stuck with Hitchens and I like Wilson.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Good work! It’s interesting! I think if you’re making two splashy-ish FA signings, it’s hards to use both of them on OL.

I like Byron Jones a lot at CB and think he would be a great addition if they’ve freed up enough $$.

I think you’re in the right mindset in trying to fill Jones’ slot - Annae and Blacklock can both rush the passer.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

I think this is a nice, realistic mock.

I’m coming to grips with the fact that Jones is probably a goner. I’m expecting that. Seattle would be very interesting given that we took Clark from them just last year. I just hope we get a good haul back.

I’d like to add a ILB.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
I think this is a nice, realistic mock.

I’m coming to grips with the fact that Jones is probably a goner. I’m expecting that. Seattle would be very interesting given that we took Clark from them just last year. I just hope we get a good haul back.

I’d like to add a ILB.

Or even just a WLB backer that can really run. That would make a big difference. Move Wilson back to the strong side. That was the plan before Darron Lee ended up being a shit show.

I really like Akeem Davis-Gaither as a round 3/4 guy in that role.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Or even just a WLB backer that can really run. That would make a big difference. Move Wilson back to the strong side. That was the plan before Darron Lee ended up being a shit show.

I really like Akeem Davis-Gaither as a round 3/4 guy in that role.
Absolutely — need a guy who can really run. Defending teams like SF would be so much easier if you had that sideline to sideline speed that makes up for errors.

I know they like Hitchens and have much invested, but they need to bring in someone who can take his job in nickel sets next season at some point. Wilson is obviously a good fit in there and the superior player.

Strange to me that we ended up overpaying one LB from Dallas and underpaying another in the matter of 2 seasons.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Starter

Putting a lot of trust in two rookie corner backs...
ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Admitted Planet Junky

I appreciate your time and work here. However I don't think the Chiefs are going to cut their only backup T. I don't think they are going to cut LDT. I don't think they will pay a little over $11M per for a G. I don't think Pennel can be had for that cheap. I hope they don't sign Olsen. I hope they resign Ragland but it will take more than a 1 year $1M deal. I hope they sign Ogbah. He was really looking dominant until the injury. We should be able to get him for a cheap 1 year deal.
I think we keep Chris Jones.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
Absolutely — need a guy who can really run. Defending teams like SF would be so much easier if you had that sideline to sideline speed that makes up for errors.

I know they like Hitchens and have much invested, but they need to bring in someone who can take his job in nickel sets next season at some point. Wilson is obviously a good fit in there and the superior player.

Strange to me that we ended up overpaying one LB from Dallas and underpaying another in the matter of 2 seasons.
Definitely would have liked to add some speed/coverage at LB, but the whole premise of the mock hamstrung me a bit from moves I wanted to make - basically had to get a DT and a DE in the draft to have nine defensive linemen and that ate up the slot where I would have wanted a LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan View Post
Not really, worse case your starting 3 corners would be Ward Poole and Fenton, and you would also play a lot of 3 safety sets if somehow you weren't comfortable with either rookie - I double barreled it specifically because that way I think you could be pretty happy at least one of them could start from day 1 or at least get significant snaps from very early in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
I appreciate your time and work here. However I don't think the Chiefs are going to cut their only backup T. I don't think they are going to cut LDT. I don't think they will pay a little over $11M per for a G. I don't think Pennel can be had for that cheap. I hope they don't sign Olsen. I hope they resign Ragland but it will take more than a 1 year $1M deal. I hope they sign Ogbah. He was really looking dominant until the injury. We should be able to get him for a cheap 1 year deal.
I think we keep Chris Jones.
Rankin and Senat would be my swing tackles - Cam was literally garbage at least they would be cheap garbage at worst.

"What I think the Chiefs will do" mocks are sort of boring, especially with the current cap situation. I think you are right though, LDT and Jones stay and the Chiefs make very minimal moves in free agency, no Olinemen signings, bring back one of their 2 free agent corners and maybe Ogbah is the most likely situation. It's already been mocked here pretty extensively I think.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
You have to remember though that Mathieu is our slot corner now. That’s the majority of snaps played at a corner spot.

If anything, safety is a bigger potential need than some may realize. That’s why when I see mock drafts that have Delpit falling way down, I’m thinking KC should be all over it. He and Thornhill deep with HB down near the LOS? That could be phenomenal.

Last edited by pugsnotdrugs19; 02-09-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Old 02-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
Definitely would have liked to add some speed/coverage at LB, but the whole premise of the mock hamstrung me a bit from moves I wanted to make - basically had to get a DT and a DE in the draft to have nine defensive linemen and that ate up the slot where I would have wanted a LB.

Not really, worse case your starting 3 corners would be Ward Poole and Fenton, and you would also play a lot of 3 safety sets if somehow you weren't comfortable with either rookie - I double barreled it specifically because that way I think you could be pretty happy at least one of them could start from day 1 or at least get significant snaps from very early in the season.

Rankin and Senat would be my swing tackles - Cam was literally garbage at least they would be cheap garbage at worst.

"What I think the Chiefs will do" mocks are sort of boring, especially with the current cap situation. I think you are right though, LDT and Jones stay and the Chiefs make very minimal moves in free agency, no Olinemen signings, bring back one of their 2 free agent corners and maybe Ogbah is the most likely situation. It's already been mocked here pretty extensively I think.
Two of your top three picks are cornerbacks.

If we're going to continue to be hyper competitive after Mahomes gets paid we gotta have value from our top draft picks in every draft.

It's not enough to say "it's ok if those corners don't live up to expectations, because we can throw other guys out there". That argument actually defeats the logic for taking two corners that highly in the draft.
ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
MVP

This is about half of the current mock I'm working on hahaha. There's definitely some players we'll agree on, two of which I mentioned recently. I have Hodgins slotted a round earlier though.

I don't "think" Anae is there at our 3rd round pick. I have to think he goes in the 2nd round.

I do agree with the masses here that I'd rather spend a bit more on Breeland in FA and probably take an offensive lineman in the draft instead of two CBs.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
MVP

The more I've been thinking about signing Glasgow the more I realize that o-lineman have been getting paid in free agency quite well. I'm not sure anything less than 10 per will get him. Morse got 11 per last year...
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran

Quote:
It's not enough to say "it's ok if those corners don't live up to expectations, because we can throw other guys out there". That argument actually defeats the logic for taking two corners that highly in the draft.
I'm not saying its okay if one of them busts, I'm saying there isn't pressure on both of them to start day 1.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
You Sweetie!

Good job, champ! I like it.
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #15
Rookie

I'd like this if its what happens. My heart wants to find a way to keep Sammy and Jones. But my head is saying it's probably not possible.

Only thing is that I see ILB as a bigger need than CB. I'd do everything to find a field general for the next decade.

We've seen the last two seasons the best and maybe only way to beat the Mahomes Chiefs (Besides having an Elite QB) is to run the ball, attack the middle of the field with play action, and take advantage of the lack of speed with the linebackers. Between Badger, Thornhill, Ward, and a rookie CB I like the secondary.

So basically I would trade 1 of the guards you signed, and 1 of the rookie CB to and spend it on the LB position. Only thing is it isn't a deep class this year.
cb15 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.