Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 06-01-2020, 12:13 PM  
Most Valuable Villain

Build or prebuilt PC for my needs

I couldn’t find the “Build Your Own PC” thread, so I figured I’d create my own.

Haven’t had a gaming PC in a long time. I mostly play PS4. I’m looking into getting a desktop PC that can handle gaming (both on a monitor and a TV), Photoshop and Illustrator and then as a media PC that I can play movies. I’m looking into burning all of my DVDs to a hard drive so that I can play them in my media room or downstairs on my main TV.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Should I go prebuilt or build my own? Keep in mind that I’ve never built my own.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #121
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
You have a ton of the same stuff I have in that list other than I went with an Nvidia card.
The card he selected is nvidia. It just has a custom cooler slapped on it by Gigabyte and a slight factory OC..

Everything with the build looks fine. I just cant get over how much the tariffs have absolutely ****ed the PSU market.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #122
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
The card he selected is nvidia. It just has a custom cooler slapped on it by Gigabyte and a slight factory OC..

Everything with the build looks fine. I just cant get over how much the tariffs have absolutely ****ed the PSU market.
Oh durrr I looked at that list way to quickly. What I meant was I didn't go with AMD, I do have another computer that has AMD in it and I've been very satisfied with it.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #123
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
Ok. Let’s try this again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbdJ4n
I like that build a lot. Gonna be awesome...
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #124
Veteran

After doing some more research into the gpu market, I think you should wait till the end of the year. When AMD releases RNDA 2 with ray tracing, they are going to be extremely competitive at the top. You will see big price cuts and huge performance gains. Plus the new AMD cards will be using the same Ray Tracing strategy used in consoles.

Basically, waiting six months will get you a generational leap in performance, which is rare in gpu market these days.
Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #125
Ain't no relax!

**** waiting, buy it now!

Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #126
I got Rice cookin in the micro

that pc should be able to play fortnite
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #127
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
After doing some more research into the gpu market, I think you should wait till the end of the year. When AMD releases RNDA 2 with ray tracing, they are going to be extremely competitive at the top. You will see big price cuts and huge performance gains. Plus the new AMD cards will be using the same Ray Tracing strategy used in consoles.

Basically, waiting six months will get you a generational leap in performance, which is rare in gpu market these days.
If you always wait for the next best thing you'll never buy a computer.

How long do you think a 2070 super would last on just moderate gaming? A long ass time. How generational will the new AMD GPU's be in 4 or 5 years? Not at all.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #128
Supporter

Quote:
Definitely.

I'm still using an Intel-based PC for my studio, which has an i4790k processor. It works fine but I really need to build a new computer that has USB-C because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt port on my audio interface, which would provide zero latency and almost zero cpu hit.

I've poked around since my earlier post about AMD and it looks like there are a few studio PC builders out there using the Ryzen processors with great success.

The AMD Ryzen 12 core / 24 thread processor is awfully tempting, especially after reading Fish's note about the Intel processors.

Decisions, decisions.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #129
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:

How long do you think a 2070 super would last on just moderate gaming? A long ass time. How generational will the new AMD GPU's be in 4 or 5 years? Not at all.
I agree with this to an extent, but we are literally on the actual cusp of both 3000 series and Big Navi. Will it drive current gen prices down? Probably a little bit. Will Pest want to spend a shit ton of money on the new cards? IDK. The 3070 won't be out till even later anyway. Tough decision to make.

2070 Super WILL destroy at 2K on max settings w/o RTX almost every time. So that's a valid point too.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #130
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Definitely.

I'm still using an Intel-based PC for my studio, which has an i4790k processor. It works fine but I really need to build a new computer that has USB-C because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt port on my audio interface, which would provide zero latency and almost zero cpu hit.

I've poked around since my earlier post about AMD and it looks like there are a few studio PC builders out there using the Ryzen processors with great success.

The AMD Ryzen 12 core / 24 thread processor is awfully tempting, especially after reading Fish's note about the Intel processors.

Decisions, decisions.
Dan, I don't get it. You ball out of control. Why not just drop $4k on a top of the line pre-built and call it a day?
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #131
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
Dan, I don't get it. You ball out of control. Why not just drop $4k on a top of the line pre-built and call it a day?
I started building my own PC's back in 1997 and did so for about 7 years, then switched to a water-cooled Mac. I didn't care for the Mac because the thing was a freakin' space heater. It would literally cause the temperature of the room to rise by 10-15 degrees during the course of a day.

By the end of 2007, I purchased a Pro Audio PC from a well respected builder but it just had issue after issue, mainly due to Windows Vista but also due to the graphics card compatibility. That company was bought out and the new company replaced my PC, but I still had plenty of issues.

By 2012, I felt that it would be better for me to start building them on my own again, so I built that computer, then the i4790k in December 2014, which I'm still using to this day.

I guess the bottom line is that I feel more comfortable building and troubleshooting any issue myself because having some guy use TeamViewer every day to figure out the issue or issues is no longer an option.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #132
In Search of a Life

Quote:
I agree with this to an extent, but we are literally on the actual cusp of both 3000 series and Big Navi. Will it drive current gen prices down? Probably a little bit. Will Pest want to spend a shit ton of money on the new cards? IDK. The 3070 won't be out till even later anyway. Tough decision to make.

2070 Super WILL destroy at 2K on max settings w/o RTX almost every time. So that's a valid point too.
You are talking about waiting 6+ months on architecture when not many games out can even utilize the current RTX architecture. It's a waste of time waiting.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #133
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
You are talking about waiting 6+ months on architecture when not many games out can even utilize the current RTX architecture. It's a waste of time waiting.
September is only 2 months away.

I have an RTX 2080 and I have been able to experience RTX in a few games already. I turn it off, though, because I want high FPS. Would be nice to max out at 2K with 100+ FPS and RTX on.

It does make a big difference in visuals.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #134
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
September is only 2 months away.

I have an RTX 2080 and I have been able to experience RTX in a few games already. I turn it off, though, because I want high FPS. Would be nice to max out at 2K with 100+ FPS and RTX on.

It does make a big difference in visuals.
What flavor of 2080 do you have (EVGA, MSI, etc.)? Are you happy with it?
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #135
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
What flavor of 2080 do you have (EVGA, MSI, etc.)? Are you happy with it?
EVGA. It has been solid so far. It is slightly OCed by me.

My old 1070 was an MSI and I was not a huge fan. I can't even remember what the issue was but I just decided not to mess with MSI any more. I think it had something to do with DirectX and it was only affecting MSI products at the time I had it.

MSI Afterburner is nice but EVGA's Precision tool is nice too. It was actually easier for me to use and set up OC and fan speeds.