Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM  
Take a Chill Pill

Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread

There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142

Last edited by Buck; 03-25-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #121
Take a Chill Pill

Just got back from Barnes and Noble. What the **** is the deal with every fantasy book only coming in the Mass Paperback that tries to get the smallest pages as possible, with the fewest pages as possible, with the smallest print as possible? That pisses me off. I guess all my Fantasy will be on the Kindle. Here's my haul. Some of which were suggestions in this thread. (Post-Apoc on left / Sci-Fi on right)

The book I'm most upset that I didn't end up buying was Neuromancer, but it was $16 in the store and only $8 online, so I'll be going that route.
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #122
Take a Chill Pill

Also they didn't have Hyperion. WTF is up with that?

They had like every other iteration of that saga, except for the first one. There wasn't even an empty spot for it on the shelf.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #123
Immanentize The Eschaton

Hey Buck, Triplanetary is free on Kindle. It is the first book in the "Lensman"series. I just grabbed it.

<=== on my Fire right now.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #124
Go Beavers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Also they didn't have Hyperion. WTF is up with that?

They had like every other iteration of that saga, except for the first one. There wasn't even an empty spot for it on the shelf.
Used book stores are the best place to get classic sci-fi/fantasy.
Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Frosty 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #125
I'll be back.

You haven't read Dune, Buck?

Holy ****, I envy you. Such a good read. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are really good, too.

Skip the rest of that shit.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #126
Take a Chill Pill

I didn't start reading for fun until about 2 years ago. I didn't start seriously reading for pleasure until about 2 months ago. I have a lot to catch up on.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #127
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
Richard K. Morgan: Takeshi Kovacs series and A Land Fit for Heroes. This stuff is adult. With a capital 'A'. The Kovacs series is science fiction, basically hard boiled detective stuff set in the future, filled with sex and violence. A Land Fit for Heroes, which he's currently writing, is the fantasy equivalent, but some people may have trouble getting through it because it features some graphic depiction of homosexual acts. Fantastic writer and fantastic stories if you can get past that.
I read the Tovacs trilogy based of your suggestion a few years ago and it was easily some of the most purely entertaining stuff I have read.
Miles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #128
I'll be back.

You should read JAWS and BEAST by Peter Benchley, Buck.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #129
oxymoron

I have both Leviathan Wakes and The Dragon's Path (that's Daniel Abraham's solo fantasy work) waiting on the shelf, but it'll probably be months before I get to them. I have 7 Shadows of the Apt books to finish first.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #130
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Goat View Post
You haven't read Dune, Buck?

Holy ****, I envy you. Such a good read. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are really good, too.

Skip the rest of that shit.
If you like the stupid inner monologues.
whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #131
The Master

Raymond Feist

The Riftwar Saga
Magician (1982)
Republished in two parts in the United States:
1.Magician: Apprentice (1986)
2.Magician: Master (1986)
Silverthorn (1985)
A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)

The Empire Trilogy
Daughter of the Empire (1987) with Janny Wurts
Servant of the Empire (1990) with Janny Wurts
Mistress of the Empire (1992) with Janny Wurts

Krondor's Sons
Prince of the Blood (1989)
The King's Buccaneer (1992)

The Serpentwar Saga
Shadow of a Dark Queen (1994)
Rise of a Merchant Prince (1995)
Rage of a Demon King (1997)
Shards of a Broken Crown (1998)

The Riftwar Legacy
Krondor: The Betrayal (1998)
Krondor: The Assassins (1999)
Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)

Not a big fan of his latest works though.
whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #132
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawshco View Post
Another Tad Williams fan? Awesome! I don't know a lot of people who know him.
I've read Memory Sorrow and Thorn and To Green Angel Tower. Long books but full of detail and excellent story lines IMO.
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #133
Take a Chill Pill

All I know now is that I have a shit load of reading to do.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #134
Take a Chill Pill

Also WWZ, I wouldn't recommend it unless you specifically want to read about Zombies.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #135
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoman69 View Post
If you like the stupid inner monologues.
I just like the story of Paul. Those three books bring it full circle.