Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 12-19-2018, 01:17 PM  
Keepin it Real

Cutting Cable.

I know there are already several threads but I’m adding to it.

Our DTV bill is about to go up $60 a month to $133. We’re looking at cutting cable. We’d like to add Hulu live TV, netflix, and MLB.TV. I know I can stream all three through my Xbox. It looks like I won’t have AMC, NFL Network or NBC. NFL Network I can stream the Thursday night games through my xbox.

How is the quality? We have to upgrade our internet to unlimited for an extra $20/month. Provider said we’d also get faster speeds.
Does anyone have MLB.Tv and use it through your Xbox?
What about DVR services?

It looks like I can get all three for around $64 a month.
Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #121
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Looks like no grandfathering this time and we’ll get the increase next week.
Yup. This is what I'm seeing. Damn...........

Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #122
Fight, build, win!

That rotten when your grandfathered in seems they should honor the promise.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #123
MVP

Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I don’t care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since it’s such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.
Miles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMiles 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #124
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I don’t care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since it’s such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.
Yes the raise of monthly fee would be easier to swallow if NFL Network was added.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #125
Keepin it Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...discovery-hgtv

Got a message that Youtube TV is raising price to 50.00 plus several new channels. Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend .
Still no History channel.

Hulu Live TV $45/month is what we’ll eventually get. We cancelled DTV Feb 28th and haven’t added any live tv. We watch Netflix and some prime. Haven’t missed live TV yet.

YouTubeTV bumping it $15 seems kind of excessive.
Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.Dunit35 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #126
Most Valuable Villain

After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #127
Champion Golfer Of The Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.
Cut the cord (hard to believe this) 5 years ago. Uverse had me on autopay and very quietly added channels and fees until I was well over $200 per month. I told them to **** off (they obliged) and I'll never give them, or any other cable company, another dime as long as I breathe.

You'll find that you will read/talk/listen to more music or podcasts and actually enjoy yourself more without cable. I got rid of FB on my phone and cut my screen time to about 40 minutes a day too. Tired of being a slave to the phone too. I estimate my cable savings at well over $10,000 over 5 years.

Netflix and Prime are what we have currently. And we wouldn't have that if it were up to me. I get all of my TV shows through KODI. Some movies too.

I'm a big documentary guy so Flix takes care of what I like to watch really well.

As for sports, I stream all baseball/basketball/hockey through various free sources.

Except the Chiefs. 12$ HD antennas on all TV's pulls them in just fine. And it's about 15/20 seconds faster through the air than cable or satellite. It's annoying to my friends when texting back and forth and the Chiefs are in the huddle on their cable hooked TV, and I'm texting "TOUCHDOWN... Incredible throw!!! OMFG!!! from my antenna driven TV.

I'm not into fantasy football so if a game isn't on free, it's of no interest to me. Locally, when the Chiefs are on SNF/MNF they broadcast those on the ABC affiliate so I don't have to miss it.
WilliamTheIrish has disabled reputation
Old 04-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #128
pie is never free

I’m damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, it’s only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #129
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
I’m damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, it’s only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril
I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #130
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...
Yeah cable still has its benefits like pip, on demand and so on

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, it’s a done deal
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #131
Kind of a mod

Quote:

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, it’s a done deal
While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

Reddit NFL streams work great.

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #132
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

Reddit NFL streams work great.

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)
Reddit is by orders of magnitude better than any other stream I know of

That said even they have let me down quite a bit, maybe it’s just my equip/strength of service package, but I want something reliable for the games
Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #133
The Insider

How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #134
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?
What do you mean? It's the same Fox4, KCTV5, KSHB, KMBC9 channels that are on KC cable or OTA. If you are in a different viewing area, you will see the local channels for that area. Depends on location.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #135
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:

I've got "cable" (Google Fiber), and they're not technically savvy enough (yet) to offer PiP...

I guess they can't fit it into a Gig..

Not unlike being able to selectively block certain MAC addresses that appear on the fiber side!!! Their great answer = "change the SSID, thus blocking everybody, then you'll know." But hey, add a non-GF WAP to the home and connect it TO YOUR NETWORK BOX, and they can sense THAT, and tell users connected to that WAP that they're not on their home network (when the 1000% are)...

But alas, it's Google...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.