Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 AM  
Starter

Student Load Negotiations

Has anyone had any success negotiating with a student loan provider for a lump sum payment? My brother recently passed away and I'm the sole heir. No sympathies please as we weren't all that close. Anyway, there's plenty of money in the estate to take care of my wife's student loans but thought I would try to negotiate with the lender to see if we can get the payoff down a bit.

There are two lenders and the total is around $90K (it makes me sick to my stomach that it's that much). Interest rates are around 6.5%.

TIA
osumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
MVP

Student Load negotiations: Do you want it in the face or on the tits?
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #32
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
That didn't sound right, so I looked it up. Its $2500 per return. Phaseouts for MFJ start at 135,000.

So if he's got 90,000 @ 6.5%, that would be in the ballpark of $5,850 yearly, so he'd be limited out.

I have no idea what his effective tax rate is, but if it is 20%, he'd be saving $500 on the student loan interest deduction, so it sure is nice, but it isn't a giant deal one way or the other.

That's a little bit down in the weeds. If you have any questions, shoot. The big deal is that if it is in a retirement fund already, don't distribute it until you know what you're doing.
I was saying Student loan interest. Not sure if I was clear on that. I thought mine was only deductible up to 10k per year on the interest, which when i'm paying what i'm paying that happens quickly.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I was saying Student loan interest. Not sure if I was clear on that. I thought mine was only deductible up to 10k per year on the interest, which when i'm paying what i'm paying that happens quickly.
Yeah, the link is about the student loan interest deduction.

I think in prior years you could roll some student loan interest into the American opportunity credit. It’s gone now and I don’t know all the specific iterations.

I think the cap on eligible student expenses is 10. Not sure though.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM
SupDock
This message has been deleted by SupDock. Reason: Duplicate
Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #34
Wasted away again...

Quote:
For rizzle, yo.

But student loan interest isn't an itemized deduction like Home Mortgage interest is. It is a 1040 adjustment on the (used to be) front page, so it will reduce AGI before the standard deduction is applied.
Yep, I got a whopping $2 tax credit for my student loan debt this year.
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #35
Curmudgeon

The simple solution would be to call them and find out. They will probably tell you they'd rather squeeze your nuts than to give up that 6.25% over the next X many years, but it never hurts to ask. I paid for all 3 of my kids to go to college, partially with college loans and it was a race to see if I could pay them off or die first.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #36
In Search of a Life

Quote:
For rizzle, yo.

But student loan interest isn't an itemized deduction like Home Mortgage interest is. It is a 1040 adjustment on the (used to be) front page, so it will reduce AGI before the standard deduction is applied.
Fair enough. I never took out student loans so had no idea.

Just more proof to talk with an advisor than some idiot named after a weather guy.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #37
Now you've pissed me off!

Student loans aren't even dissolvable in bankruptcy. Good luck trying to get them to give up some of their pound of flesh.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #38
Threepeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I don't know about student loans, but it sounds like you've got some good leverage to negotiate some things with your wife.
Fastest draw in the west.
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #39
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
usually to get a lump sum settlement granted you need to default on the loan for a few months so that the lender becomes desperate to recover any of the money.

Once you miss a few months if they are anything like credit card companies they will settle for less than what is owed

They are not like credit card companies. As someone else noted, they have a debt obligation that is not dischargeable in bankruptcy, so they have almost no incentive to write off any portion of the loan.

Try if you like, but you're probably going to be arguing with a brick wall.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #40
Starter

Thanks for the info. I have no illusions of them backing off the principal but thought they may forgive a bit of the interest built over the years. I did talk with my financial advisor and he did suggest paying this off instead of making the lump sum payment on my house note as the interest rate on the house is below the interest rate on the student LOANS. Once we get these paid off, we'll just roll what we were paying on the loans towards our house payment.

No auto loans for us. Been without a car loan for three years and hope to never have another one.

I think we'll just call the banks and see what they have to say. It couldn't hurt.

Seriously, I get on here daily for the past 18 years and have posted a total of 61 times. I think this is the first thread I ever started and I f*** up the title thread....
osumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #41
Wasted away again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by osumatt View Post
Seriously, I get on here daily for the past 18 years and have posted a total of 61 times. I think this is the first thread I ever started and I f*** up the title thread....
n00bs
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #42
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have no illusions of them backing off the principal but thought they may forgive a bit of the interest built over the years. I did talk with my financial advisor and he did suggest paying this off instead of making the lump sum payment on my house note as the interest rate on the house is below the interest rate on the student LOANS. Once we get these paid off, we'll just roll what we were paying on the loans towards our house payment.

No auto loans for us. Been without a car loan for three years and hope to never have another one.

I think we'll just call the banks and see what they have to say. It couldn't hurt.

Sounds like a good plan to me. The other thing you might consider is sticking some in a ROTH or something. I think there is a fair chance an investment can yield higher than the 6.5%.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #43
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan to me. The other thing you might consider is sticking some in a ROTH or something. I think there is a fair chance an investment can yield higher than the 6.5%.
Yeah. Whatever. Hyman Roth called me small potatoes.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #44
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
Student loans aren't even dissolvable in bankruptcy. Good luck trying to get them to give up some of their pound of flesh.
One of these presidential guys ever campaign on dissolving student loan depth will get my vote so hard.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #45
In BB I trust

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan, except, possibly, for paying down the home mortgage faster. Depending on the rate, that may not be a terribly exciting thing to do. Once you factor in the tax deduction (assuming you're not capped by SALT), the effective cost of a home mortgage at prevailing rates is very low.

I'd be maxing out 401(k) deductions, IRA deductions, etc., before I'd be worrying about paying down the mortgage faster.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.