Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 AM  
Starter

Student Load Negotiations

Has anyone had any success negotiating with a student loan provider for a lump sum payment? My brother recently passed away and I'm the sole heir. No sympathies please as we weren't all that close. Anyway, there's plenty of money in the estate to take care of my wife's student loans but thought I would try to negotiate with the lender to see if we can get the payoff down a bit.

There are two lenders and the total is around $90K (it makes me sick to my stomach that it's that much). Interest rates are around 6.5%.

TIA
osumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutosumatt is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 03-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
Veteran

pay your debt you ****in heathen
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #17
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

I hope she got a worthwhile degree and job from that.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
usually to get a lump sum settlement granted you need to default on the loan for a few months so that the lender becomes desperate to recover any of the money.

Once you miss a few months if they are anything like credit card companies they will settle for less than what is owed
Eh, that's way too simplified. They're going to have a team looking over her financials and assets if they feel they can just garnish and seize to recover the difference, they will and not shit you can do about it.

If your wife has no assets or money, ya they could be much more motivated. On the flipside, if there's a co-signer (likely) well uh that could get super ugly.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #19
MONTANA #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
usually to get a lump sum settlement granted you need to default on the loan for a few months so that the lender becomes desperate to recover any of the money.

Once you miss a few months if they are anything like credit card companies they will settle for less than what is owed
via Imgflip Meme Generator
arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
Supporter

Before paying that I would consider if you have worse debt. At least the interest on that student debt is tax deductible. Are your cars debts paid off?

That interest rate isn't very good for student loans, so maybe paying it off is better long term to free up that monthly money. I doubt you'll get much done on a discount.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #21
11-5, baby

Sounds like your wife should let you give out a few student loads if you're repaying $90K of her debt.
Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
Before paying that I would consider if you have worse debt. At least the interest on that student debt is tax deductible. Are your cars debts paid off?

That interest rate isn't very good for student loans, so maybe paying it off is better long term to free up that monthly money. I doubt you'll get much done on a discount.
It's deductible up to a certain point. I think IIRC, the max is 10k per year.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #23
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson View Post
Sounds like your wife should let you give out a few student loads if you're repaying $90K of her debt.
She definitely should be taking some
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
11-5, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlyon View Post
She definitely should be taking some
Preferably to current, nubile coeds.
Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #25

I'm by no means an expert (welcome to ChiefsPlanet), but from what I understand, doing this will do a lot of damage to her credit score. It's supposedly easier to do with private loans than a federal loan, so it may depend on who you're working with.

It's also my understanding that if any of your debt is actually forgiven, it becomes taxable income that will ding you next year on your return. But I'd be happy for someone with more tax knowledge than me to correct me on that. Either way I'd make sure to ask someone the tax implications if you actually pulled it off.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post

You're right on the whole. But not all student loan interest is deductible. There is a cap and phaseouts in there, and I'd have to look them up.

The theory is sound though, if you have any debt that is at a higher interest rate, pay that off first. Or if you can achieve a higher return in some other financial instrument - 401K or whatever, it would be better to just keep paying and funnel the money into an instrument.

Tax sheltered instruments will have yearly caps, so you'll have to hang onto some of that money or do some monkeying around. Your 401K will have the highest cap so if you and the wife go max out the 401K and use the money to live on, that would be better from a net value perspective. If you inherited an actual retirment fund as the beneficiary, that's even better. Just roll that shit into what you've got or a ROTH if you think you can beat it and forget about it.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
In Search of a Life

That's before factoring in the threshold to where going itemized would be better than standard is much higher now.

Instead of taking awful CP advice or blindly pissing nearly 100k, I'd talk with an advisor.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
It's deductible up to a certain point. I think IIRC, the max is 10k per year.
That didn't sound right, so I looked it up. Its $2500 per return. Phaseouts for MFJ start at 135,000.

So if he's got 90,000 @ 6.5%, that would be in the ballpark of $5,850 yearly, so he'd be limited out.

I have no idea what his effective tax rate is, but if it is 20%, he'd be saving $500 on the student loan interest deduction, so it sure is nice, but it isn't a giant deal one way or the other.

That's a little bit down in the weeds. If you have any questions, shoot. The big deal is that if it is in a retirement fund already, don't distribute it until you know what you're doing.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post
That's before factoring in the threshold to where going itemized would be better than standard is much higher now.

Instead of taking awful CP advice or blindly pissing nearly 100k, I'd talk with an advisor.
For rizzle, yo.

But student loan interest isn't an itemized deduction like Home Mortgage interest is. It is a 1040 adjustment on the (used to be) front page, so it will reduce AGI before the standard deduction is applied.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #30
Supporter

Whatever you do don’t pay for her boob job.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.