Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM  
Starter

Someone is going to get a steal w/ Omenihu

Rashan Gary DE (Michigan): 6 4" 3/8; 277lb; 81 wingspan

Clein Ferrell DE (Clemson): 6 4" 3/8; 264lb, 82 wingspan

Nick Bosa DE (Ohio St): 6 3" 6/8; 266lb; 77 wingspan

Charles Omenihu DE (Texas): 6 5" 3/8; 280lb; 85 wingspan

Dude had to play in a 3/4 defense for the past few years at Texas...but will be a monster in a 4-3. He can play on either side of the line and has surprising burst for someone his size.

If all the top DB's are gone by the end of the first I'd take him. If Speaks doesn't take the next step this year he can fill in...if we let Ford walk after next season he could easily be the pass rushing DE to step up and fill in his space as well.

He's a guy who can stay on the field regardless of whether we are in our base or sub packages.
ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan View Post
If you don't think Omenihu can't drop back into zone you didn't watch much of his film.

Todd Orlando would often drop his DE's back into zones and bring LB's and safeties in on blitzes....it's actually a staple of his scheme.
I'll watch a couple more games but if he looks as slow and prodding as he did in the other 5 I'm probably not much for being on board aside from maybe a 3rd round pick as a LDE where he can use his power to hold the edge much like Eric Hicks of old.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #17
MVP

Quote:
If you don't think Omenihu can't drop back into zone you didn't watch much of his film.

Todd Orlando would often drop his DE's back into zones and bring LB's and safeties in on blitzes....it's actually a staple of his scheme.
I honestly don't give a shit if he can cover.

Omenihu is a big, strong, bull of a man. He's got great hands, good leverage, will be a bull against the run and still give you a plus pass rusher.

He moves very well for a man that size.

You could easily play him at either DE spot. He'd kill lined up next to Jones. Having that beef on the line would allow you to play D'OD at WLB easily.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I honestly don't give a shit if he can cover.

Omenihu is a big, strong, bull of a man. He's got great hands, good leverage, will be a bull against the run and still give you a plus pass rusher.

He moves very well for a man that size.

You could easily play him at either DE spot. He'd kill lined up next to Jones. Having that beef on the line would allow you to play D'OD at WLB easily.
I think the Alex Okafor signing signaled that Omenihu is the type of DE we will be searching for in the draft.

Omenihu adds an extra piece of flexibility where he can be moved inside on passing downs and help create an extra pass rush. You could have a front for of Okafor, Jones, Omenihu, Speaks on obvious passing downs and really create some challenges for an offensive line up front.

Omenihu doesn't have the bend Okafor has around the edge, but he has a more diverse set of pass rushing moves and better hands than Okafor.
ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ntexascardfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
I think the Alex Okafor signing signaled that Omenihu is the type of DE we will be searching for in the draft.

Omenihu adds an extra piece of flexibility where he can be moved inside on passing downs and help create an extra pass rush. You could have a front for of Okafor, Jones, Omenihu, Speaks on obvious passing downs and really create some challenges for an offensive line up front.

Omenihu doesn't have the bend Okafor has around the edge, but he has a more diverse set of pass rushing moves and better hands than Okafor.
I don't think the 'bend' around the edge is as important anymore. Not if the good QB's are getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds.

Inside pressure, like Reid said, that's the new trend to counter the quick passing game. That and confusion with coverage looks.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
I don't think the 'bend' around the edge is as important anymore. Not if the good QB's are getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds.

Inside pressure, like Reid said, that's the new trend to counter the quick passing game. That and confusion with coverage looks.
It's arguably more important. The ability for edge rushers to close that gap between the OT and the QB more quickly is the only way they are going to get pressure home. Sure, you have to be able to generate quick pressure up the middle, but you still need an edge rush that will force QBs into that inside pressure instead of having the ability to bail out of it. Guys with the athletic ability to do this are always going to be at a much higher premium than guys that can't and it's a big reason I see players like Omenihu being no more than 3rd round guys.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:

Not as important as it used to be, no.

Which makes me not completely out on Ferguson either. I could probably talk myself into Ferguson in the 2nd if we haven't addressed DE already. I think Omenihu is far more polished and can contribute sooner, but Ferguson wouldn't be a bad fallback with perhaps a higher ceiling.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
MVP

To add... guys like Omenihu will have value because they have the size to hold up if they are asked to slide down inside as interior pass rushers while still holding the edge outside on run downs. Those types however, are fairly common overall and there's a bunch of them in this draft.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
It's arguably more important. The ability for edge rushers to close that gap between the OT and the QB more quickly is the only way they are going to get pressure home. Sure, you have to be able to generate quick pressure up the middle, but you still need an edge rush that will force QBs into that inside pressure instead of having the ability to bail out of it. Guys with the athletic ability to do this are always going to be at a much higher premium than guys that can't and it's a big reason I see players like Omenihu being no more than 3rd round guys.
You don't need to have ideal bend to force QBs into pressure. You need it to be able to finish the play and record the sack yourself, but not to get to a spot that creates uncertainty for the QB in the pocket. Not everybody can flush backwards and save a play like Mahomes; most will simply move up if they feel those footsteps and Omenihu's ability to get a OT reacting at the snap will be sufficient to create that.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
You don't need to have ideal bend to force QBs into pressure. You need it to be able to finish the play and record the sack yourself, but not to get to a spot that creates uncertainty for the QB in the pocket. Not everybody can flush backwards and save a play like Mahomes; most will simply move up if they feel those footsteps and Omenihu's ability to get a OT reacting at the snap will be sufficient to create that.
I don't see it watching him play. I think this place has him severely overrated. That of course, doesn't mean I'm not wrong. He could surprise me.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I don't see it watching him play. I think this place has him severely overrated. That of course, doesn't mean I'm not wrong. He could surprise me.
I just get a bit of a Hali feel with him. Hali from the 3-point stance was an effective 'mauler' who could get in there and hand-fight with guys while using his length to maintain space. I don't see any reason why Omenihu couldn't be a very similar player.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #26
'Tis my eye!

The thing is, Speaks is that same kind of player. I get that you don't like Speaks but you're still doubling up on a similar skillset.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
The thing is, Speaks is that same kind of player. I get that you don't like Speaks but you're still doubling up on a similar skillset.
I don't think Speaks has nearly the technical savvy, functional strength or length that Omenihu has. And I don't see Omenihu has being quite the plodder Crow does either; his burst is, at worst, fine. I think I even see it as an asset, but I surely don't see it as a liability.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #28
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Veach has said that he values Edge rushers in the Tamba and Terrell Suggs archetype. It's a fair assumption he is loading up on that passrusher variant.
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #29
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
Veach has said that he values Edge rushers in the Tamba and Terrell Suggs archetype. It's a fair assumption he is loading up on that passrusher variant.
But when you spend multiple high picks on the same position, at some point, you have high picks sitting on the bench. That's really not a recipe for success. Your 1st and 2nd rounders need to be starters, not depth.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #30
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
But when you spend multiple high picks on the same position, at some point, you have high picks sitting on the bench. That's really not a recipe for success. Your 1st and 2nd rounders need to be starters, not depth.
Veach is looking for the high end spectrum characteristics like Tamba or Jared Allen had. It's fine to have a specified type to play passrusher, but they'll have to extraordinary in the category of agility and 10 yard burst/closing speed like Tamba and Jared while being a student of the game.

With that said Veach seemingly is looking for picture perfect technicians in comparison to athletic freaks.
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.