Home Mail Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

Old 02-13-2020, 01:08 PM  
THE RED MENACE

Denver repeals 30 year pit bull ban

This is where it all started folks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/denver-...an-2020-02-11/

For 30 years, Denver banned pit bulls. The city voted last night to repeal the ban.
BY DANIELLE GARRAND, CHRISTOPHER BRITO

FEBRUARY 11, 2020 / 6:25 PM / CBS NEWS

Denver's city council has voted in favor of repealing a 30-year ban on owning pit bulls and other terrier dogs, CBS Denver reports. The proposal, which replaces the ban with breed specific licensing, was passed by a vote of 7-4.

The legislation update will allow citizens to have a pit bull in the city ó with some conditions, according to a tweet from the city council detailing the change. Pet parents must register their pup with Denver Animal Protection (DAP) and get their dog a "breed-restricted license," the tweet said.

Owners must submit the pet's description, as well as provide proof that the animal was microchipped, has been spayed or neutered and is up to date on its rabies vaccination. There is also a limit of two pit bulls per household and the DAP must be notified within eight hours if the pet escapes or bites someone.

Colorado councilman Chris Herndon introduced the legislation that would repeal the ban, which was put in place after a deadly attack on a 3-year-old child in southwest Denver. During the public hearing addressing the ban, community members were divided in their opinions about it and shared their personal experiences with the animals ó both good and bad.

Those in favor argued that the previous law was both outdated and flawed; opponents of the ban said this breed of dogs are a continued risk to public safety.

"In a nurturing environment pit bull behavior may be no different than any other dog, however many pit bulls do get cared for differently, which is why they are involved in a higher number of attacks," ban opponent Paul Verenes said.

"I walk these dogs with my mom and all they want is love and snuggles. It breaks my heart knowing they don't have the loving home they deserve," said Caroline Smith, a young girl who described her experience volunteering at a shelter.

More than 900 cities across the U.S. have some type of legislation against pit bulls, according to a compilation by DogsBite.com. Karen Martiny, founder and executive director of Animal Rescue of the Rockies, told CBS News on Tuesday that she's glad Denver has shed away the ban.

"We've been waiting for many, many years for the folks on the Denver City Council to open their eyes and join the progressive community in the rest of the country regarding this issue," she said.

However, she still believes the new licensing program is still "unnecessary" and it discriminates against pit bulls and their owners.

"Pit bulls are just as safe as other breeds ó all dog owners need to be responsible for raising well mannered dogs," Martiny said. "A dangerous dog law is the only one proven to work - one that targets individual dogs and their owners, NOT breeds of dogs."

"All dogs, including pit bulls, are individuals," wrote the ASPCA in a position statement on its website about the breed. "Treating them as such, providing them with the care, training and supervision they require, and judging them by their actions and not by their DNA or their physical appearance is the best way to ensure that dogs and people can continue to share safe and happy lives together."
BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.BIG_DADDY 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #31
Starter

I hear they can be nice dogs but every time I see one in public I have a plan In my head of how fast Iím going to draw my pistol and put one through itís skull if it latches on.
Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #32
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
I hear they can be nice dogs but every time I see one in public I have a plan In my head of how fast Iím going to draw my pistol and put one through itís skull if it latches on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #33
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Dog shit

I have been around a lot of dogs. Every mean dog I have ever been around was either abused, neglected or trained to be such.

Don't be a fool
What does a lot of dogs mean? Full time breeder who operated from coast to coast and/or a trainer who handled working dogs at the national level?

If you're not going to engage at the genetic selection level and discuss the expression it causes in phenotype, we're going to continue talking past each other. All dogs are not good dogs. Just as all people are not good people. Genetics and environmental pressure on those genes affect animals on the most basic of levels at conception, and most likely even before.

I have a 5 figure dog with a single recessive defect that I guarantee you, or any other trainer in the country, couldn't prevent from being expressed with any amount of care or training. It first expressed itself in the litter box. It's a hard wired emotional switch, and when flipped it has consequences. It's very similar to countless other traits that are hard wired into certain individuals due to previous selection pressure, only on a much simpler level.
ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.ghak99 is too fat/Omaha.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #34
Starter

Quote:
You mind telling me what part of that is relevant?
Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Camaro must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
In Search of a Life

Quote:
You mind telling me what part of that is relevant?
Pretty much all of it, but the part about which dogs are most aggressive would be a good place to start.
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #36
King Shit of **** Mountain

My BluBear got loose this morning and roamed the entertainment district. The carnage was unbelievable.

And by carnage, I mean the number of people who told me he was an awesome dog.

Pro tip: Socialize your pup early and don't be a dick owner.
Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bob Dole is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #37
Veteran

Quote:
Thats good situational awareness....
F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.F150 would the whole thing.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #38
Good Donkey = Dead Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
My daughter has two pits that she loves like her own children, but I just cant bring myself to let my guard down around them... there's just a dumb look in their eyes that I dont trust

To each their own... I try not to judge when decent people own them, but I'd never have one

Give me a German shepherd or husky any day over a pit
I'm sure they'll be fine!

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #39
Starter

Quote:
Yea border collies are assholes but when they bite you itís usually just a nip. I love dogs more than the next guy but Iíd never want the liability of owning a pit, Iíve seen a very good one snap before and i had to choke it out so it would let go of my dogís face.. I wouldnít want to own something that could do that to a human who is capable of suing or criminal charges.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #40
Tre Right, Three Jet Chip Wasp

Quote:
That is really interesting reading thanks. I learned a lot, my apologies. The pit bull far exceeded all other dogs in dog bites.

Is it because of their genetics, or how they are trained or treated? I do remember a friend now that had trained his Pit Bull be his protector.

25% of dog bites occurred from a CHAINED dog. To me, just always been my opinion, a chained dog is an abused dog.

If someone chains there dog, how else do they treat it? Feed it Old Roy? Leave it out in the cold? Ignore it? Hit it?

My little sister and her husband just lost their pit from old age, the most docile loving dog a person could ever hope for. I have personally never had one but been around a few.

I grew up with German Shepherds and have had two of them myself. The one time one bit a kid, the kid had been dragging a stick along our fence when he went by to school, teasing our dog. He would do it every day, finally Clyde got out and got him.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dole View Post
My BluBear got loose this morning and roamed the entertainment district. The carnage was unbelievable.

And by carnage, I mean the number of people who told me he was an awesome dog.

Pro tip: Socialize your pup early and don't be a dick owner.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghak99 View Post
What does a lot of dogs mean? Full time breeder who operated from coast to coast and/or a trainer who handled working dogs at the national level?

If you're not going to engage at the genetic selection level and discuss the expression it causes in phenotype, we're going to continue talking past each other. All dogs are not good dogs. Just as all people are not good people. Genetics and environmental pressure on those genes affect animals on the most basic of levels at conception, and most likely even before.

I have a 5 figure dog with a single recessive defect that I guarantee you, or any other trainer in the country, couldn't prevent from being expressed with any amount of care or training. It first expressed itself in the litter box. It's a hard wired emotional switch, and when flipped it has consequences. It's very similar to countless other traits that are hard wired into certain individuals due to previous selection pressure, only on a much simpler level.
I hear you, and in my post below, I admit learning a lot from JPBs link, facts are facts.

I am sure not puppy mill operator, breeder or trainer. I have two rescue dogs now, have always had at least one if not two dogs. Sister runs her own kennel and grooming service. Has placed over two hundred rescues into foster homes.

It breaks my heart to see an abused dog.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #43
Banned on the run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dole View Post
Almost 11am and time to take my Pittie to brunch. We can't disappoint the children.
How many children does she eat for brunch on a typical Sunday?
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #44
I Lay Wood for a Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post

It breaks my heart to see an abused dog.

We took one in at the farm. Black lab mix. She pissed herself and cowered every time I told her ďnoĒ.

It took 3 months and she finally came out of it and started to listen instead of expecting to get beaten.

She got hit and killed by a truck. Nobody drives by where we live, but her and our other farm dog got adventurous and ran 2 miles away.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #45
MVP

My pit mix, Diego. Women LOVE this dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200101-095226~2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	119934  
Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Naptown Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.