Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 11-12-2019, 03:29 PM  
Most Valuable Villain

Cap Space for 2020

Here are some cap figures for next year.

Current cap space to be rolled over to 2020 - $21 million
Current cap space projected for 2020 - $1.6 million

People who should be cut after this season. Their replacement in quotes.

Sammy Watkins (Pringle/Hardman) - $14 million cap savings
LDT (Wylie/Rankin) - $5 million cap savings
Daniel Sorenson (literally anybody or Watts) - $3.75 million cap savings
Cameron Erving (literally anybody) - $3.25 million cap savings
Damien Williams (Thompson) - $2.3 million cap savings
Dustin Colquitt (It's a punter...come on) - $1.35 million cap savings

That's 6 cuts that we should have no problem finding a replacement for.

Projected cap space for 2020 after cuts - $31 million

We could add more by making Anthony Hitchens a June 1st cut. That would put his dead cap space in 2020 at
$4.2 million and his cap savings at $8.5 million. It would only save us roughly $2 million in 2021 and then
$11 million in 2022. I think he's overpaid but a decent #2 LB.

So, if we roll over the cap space from this year, and with the 6 cuts, we should be at $52 million in
cap space.

We're obviously going to need that cap space for Mahomes but we will only have 2 CBs under contract
(Ward and Fenton). We also will have 4 DEs under contract (Clark, Okafor, KPass and Speaks). I think
some of that cap space should be to bring Ogbah back if it isn't a huge amount of money.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #76
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
nah, you GOTTA let Sammy walk. Just gotta.
I guess there is a possibility that we could extend him. Problem is that even if you stuck him out there 3 years and didn't add a ton of money, the 9-10 it would take would still seem steep. And that's before he probably wouldn't take it.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #77
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

I like Sammy, hope things end well here and he gets a ring this season. But he gone after that. No doubt about it.

Just not enough cash or opportunity to go around. Hill and Kelce are the money makers at this point and I think you have to hope for good progression out of Hardman. He should become best buddies with Tyreek and Patrick this offseason if he wants to reach his max potential eventually, which resides somewhere in the realm of Desean Jackson IMO (the comp I gave him during the draft).
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #78
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
I like Sammy, hope things end well here and he gets a ring this season. But he gone after that. No doubt about it.

Just not enough cash or opportunity to go around. Hill and Kelce are the money makers at this point and I think you have to hope for good progression out of Hardman. He should become best buddies with Tyreek and Patrick this offseason if he wants to reach his max potential eventually, which resides somewhere in the realm of Desean Jackson IMO (the comp I gave him during the draft).
I worry about both Robinson and Watkins leaving the same year - It seems like most receivers need more than a year to really contribute, so you'd be relying on getting meaningful snaps from both Pringle and Kemp even if you draft someone.

Still, Watkins has to go, it's just maybe that Robinson comes back on a small ish deal.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #79
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
I worry about both Robinson and Watkins leaving the same year - It seems like most receivers need more than a year to really contribute, so you'd be relying on getting meaningful snaps from both Pringle and Kemp even if you draft someone.

Still, Watkins has to go, it's just maybe that Robinson comes back on a small ish deal.
Could be the case as far as Robinson coming back. Or they could elect to make some sacrifices at that spot for the sake of improving elsewhere (OL, CB, etc).

Just depends how they wanna attack it.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #80
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post

I think there is a chance Watkins market has dried up. Elite talent but didn’t get a second contract either place he’s been. He’ll get it because they do, but if I my team laid out big money for a guy that didn’t produce with Mahomes I’d be a little miffed. It won’t be free, but I think he could maybe (probably not) be extended and get his Aav cheaper.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #81
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yeah, here's my long-ass review on that from a different thread:

Spoiler!

We're essentially seeing the same thing.

There's not a lot of wiggle on this roster for next season at all. At best you're looking a a 40 man roster w/ $50 million in cap space and holes EVERYWHERE. And no Chris Jones.

The 'work' Veach has done the last 2 offseasons has landed this team directly in a shitty cap situation and has yielded next to no positive returns. When Mathieu at about 40% more than you'd have needed to pay him a year prior is the BEST outcome of your recent ventures into big-money deals, you really need to reconsider your approach.

Because Mathieu isn't even going to live up to his deal, let alone the other guys we've brought in.
This aged well
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #82
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball View Post
This aged well
They are wrong about not living up to the contract. But I think it is true that it will take some cap wizardry to keep a lot of the roster or add anything decent. I don't know the NFL's cap as well, so I'm not sure on what all we can do. But hopefully we find a way to keep the roster strong.
Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #83
Andy Reid Supporter

I think they can afford Chris Jones with Mahomes elite contract like they want to. I think they should consider some moves though.

1. If Sammy wants to stay here, he needs to drastically lower that cap hit. Dude is a luxury item who said he loves being here. Well Sammy, if you wanna stay, extend that deal by a year or two and lower that cap hit by at least 40%. He’s made $54 million in the league. That’s more than enough Sammy. Let us give you another nice signing bonus of $20 million so you can give us a couple more years of reasonable cap hits, okay?

2. Add 2 years to Kelce’s contract and lower that cap hit. He’s clearly a young 30 in only his 6th year playing. That will lower the cap right now for rollover purposes.

3. Obviously get rid of expendable contracts like Cam Erving.

While we’re at it, I’d add a year to Damien Wilson’s contract. He has more than earned that. He’s still very cheap.

Last edited by RunKC; 01-20-2020 at 10:16 PM..
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #84
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
I think they can afford Chris Jones with Mahomes elite contract like they want to. I think they should consider some moves though.

1. If Sammy wants to stay here, he needs to drastically lower that cap hit. Dude is a luxury item who said he loves being here. Well Sammy, if you wanna stay, extend that deal by a year or two and lower that cap hit by at least 40%. He’s made $54 million in the league. That’s more than enough Sammy. Let us give you another nice signing bonus of $20 million so you can give us a couple more years of reasonable cap hits, okay?

2. Add 2 years to Kelce’s contract and lower that cap hit. He’s clearly a young 30 in only his 6th year playing. That will lower the cap right now for rollover purposes.

3. Obviously get rid of expendable contracts like Cam Erving.

While we’re at it, I’d add a year to Damien Wilson’s contract. He has more than earned that. He’s still very cheap.
I don't understand the NFL's salary cap as well, but I was wondering about what we will need to do to keep people this off-season.

So is restructuring pretty common? I feel like we have a few players that would need to do that for us to make room. We have way too many bloated contracts like Hitchens and Fisher. And I love Frank Clark, but that contract is astronomical.

We need to find a way to keep Chris Jones if the contract is half reasonable. If we can keep Sammy for cheaper that'd be great, otherwise he will be cut and we need a decent replacement. We need to spread the money out better to upgrade our defense.

I know the draft will be one of the main ways we upgrade as well as maybe some vets in free agency if they take discounts. Other than that, I hope we find a way to retain most of our players. But I would not mind investing capital into the O Line if we need to make trades or pay one. Or a cornerback or linebacker that is worth the money. We need to fix or get rid of some of our terrible contracts if that is possible.
Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Walt White is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #85
SuperBowl or bust

We currently have 13.7m in cap space.
We get 14m for trading Sammy Watkins.
We get 5m for trading/cutting LDT.
We can save 5-6m by extending Kelce deal.
Another 4-5m can be saved by adding on a year or 2 to Fishers deal.

That’s about 43m in cap space.

If we give Jones the same deal as Franks, his 2020 cap hit will be 6.5m.
5m for rookies.
Kemp, Yelder and Wylie are exclusive rights free agents...so they will be ultra cheap.

That leaves around 30m left in team cap space and hopefully 2 draft pics in return for LDT and Watkins.

Most GMs like to have 5-7m in space going into the season so that leaves 23-25m to fill the remaining spots.

Pick 3 of these:

CHJ
AJ Green
Emmanuel Sanders
Logan Ryan
Byron Jones
Mackenzie Alexander
Sean Lee
Lorenzo Alexander

Pick 2 of these:

Pennel
Ogbah
Wisnewski
Fuller (he might be priced out of this group. Someone will overpay him)

That’s realistically what we’re looking at.

Veach will need to be smart with his decisions and hit on all of his draft picks again.

I have faith he will.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #86
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post

5m for rookies.
Kemp, Yelder and Wylie are exclusive rights free agents...so they will be ultra cheap.

That leaves around 30m left in team cap space and hopefully 2 draft pics in return for LDT and Watkins.

Most GMs like to have 5-7m in space going into the season so that leaves 23-25m to fill the remaining spots.

Pick 3 of these:

CHJ
AJ Green
Emmanuel Sanders
Logan Ryan
Byron Jones
Mackenzie Alexander
Sean Lee
Lorenzo Alexander

Pick 2 of these:

Pennel
Ogbah
Wisnewski

Veach will need to be smart with his decisions and hit on all of his draft picks again.

I have faith he will.
This is what I was looking for. The maximum amount of cap we could have to play with. Assuming your numbers are correct, we could actually improve the team. If we could end up with AJ Green and CHJ replacing Watkins and Fuller, that would be upgrades. Now obviously Watkins and Fuller are much younger, but for the short term, that is a good solution.

And then if it leaves us with any extra to sign a linebacker or offensive linemen, that is icing on the cake. I don't know if we would have to lose Chris Jones in that sort of scenario or we could still swing it.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #87
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White View Post
This is what I was looking for. The maximum amount of cap we could have to play with. Assuming your numbers are correct, we could actually improve the team. If we could end up with AJ Green and CHJ replacing Watkins and Fuller, that would be upgrades. Now obviously Watkins and Fuller are much younger, but for the short term, that is a good solution.

And then if it leaves us with any extra to sign a linebacker or offensive linemen, that is icing on the cake. I don't know if we would have to lose Chris Jones in that sort of scenario or we could still swing it.
It's not quite as rosy as it first appears. Those numbers don't include Mahomes getting any kind of increase in 2020 from an extension, which while not huge could be at least $5m.

Also, he cut LDT and didn't list any replacement in his FA/re-signings, so your Oline is even worse going into 2020, or at best "unknown" with a rookie stepping in ahead of Wylie, Rankins or Allegretti.

Plus, saying things like "Jones cap hit would only be $6.5m in 2020" sounds great, but if he's getting $100m over 5 then his cap hit in 2021 is going to be $25m+ at the time when Mahomes contract will also start cranking up, so while you can fit some decent FAs in 2020 you are screwed in 2021. You can only push these things forward a year to delay the inevitable for so long, and this definitely isn't the way to build a dynasty.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #88
MVP

Assuming Bosschief's numbers are close, I'm a little more optimistic.

But the priority should be IOL, CB, LB.

IOL because we must protect the franchise, and it will make the running game look a lot better than it has.

CB because we have 2 under contract and it's a really expensive position.

LB because the ones we have can't cover for shit.

I'm less worried about WR as long as we beef up the line. If we can keep Pat clean, he'll pick you apart with Hill/Hardman/Kelce/Pringle or whomever in that 4th option spot.

I'm not super worried about RB although it could use some competition.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #89
Fish are scared of me

I don't agree with all the people wanting to cut LDT. Are we going to replace him with a 2 mil POS to save money?? That would be counter productive. We need to move forward not backward on the OL.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #90
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post

5m for rookies.

Pick 3 of these:

CHJ
AJ Green
Emmanuel Sanders
Logan Ryan
Byron Jones
Mackenzie Alexander
Sean Lee
Lorenzo Alexander

Pick 2 of these:

Pennel
Ogbah
Wisnewski

I have faith he will.
This sounds good now but would be extremely difficult in 2021. Frank Clark has a $24.2 million cap hit and it would be foolish to rework a deal that ends when Frank is 30.
If Chris Jones has a deal similar to Frank, he’ll get around $23 million in year 2 just like Frank. Then you have Pat who is going to be at least a mid 20’s cap hit in 2021 (year 2 of deal) , likely closer to 30.

That is about 35% of your cap for 3 players assuming it grows $10 million a year as it has to $210 million. Even if the CBA blows up, it won’t blow up that quickly. Assuming it does goes crazy and you add $10 million to it to make that $220 million, it’s still about 33% for 3 players.

That’s why keeping Jones is extremely difficult
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.