View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #72
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
My criticism of Mozeliak is that he won't put his dick on the table.

He won't take any risks to make the team better.

Yeah, if he goes to DeWitt and says "no, we have to sign Harper instead of this Goldschmidt deal" and sells it, it gets done. And maybe it backfires and DeWitt loses his job.

But we're a lot closer to contention with the reigning NL MVP in his prime than we are with an aging RH slugger.

Mozeliak has fallen firmly into the Carl Peterson trap of never being willing to take risks because he knows that he won't get fired for what he DOESN'T do.

And that's the reason this team has such a low ceiling.

And frankly at this point I'm convinced that the reason Mozeliak won't take risks is because he's simply not confident that he's right. He's lost the feel for this job.

As I've said before - I don't need a reason to fire a guy who has one of only 30 jobs in the league. I need a reason to KEEP him. And Mozeliak's record over the last 5-8 years gives me exactly zero reasons to keep him (and no, the Fowler signing was obviously stupid from the second it was made. Just as the Leake deal, Miller deal and Cecil deals were).

The man's set $200 million on fire in a half-decade on replacement level (at best) players. Even if you don't see that as a reason to fire him (though you really should), I certainly don't see any reasons to retain him either.
Who would you have signed that offseason instead of Fowler?

Holliday was nearing the finish line, Pham was an injury prone AAAA guy, Grichuk was supposed to become something of a note, Bader hadn't made his debut, Hazelbaker was given consistent ABs, and Piscotty at this point hadn't had his mom diagonsed with ALS.

I guess Austin Jackson or Ben Revere would have sufficed as a short-term solution?

As for your criticism about him not putting his dick on the table, I don't disagree with you, but again, I don't know how much of that is him choosing to do that or being handicapped by DeWitt. They fired Shildt so they could basically have an echo chamber.

And no, I don't think as long as DeWitt is owner, they'd sign someone to a contract as long and expensive as Harper.
Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.