Thread: Movies and TV Hamilton
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheater5 View Post

I'm glad I read just these few posts if only to learn that there is rap in this production.

And to ponder if every period piece in the history of mankind should include a portion of their story on slavery and the popular discussion of our time...because, like, you know. Woke.
You really can't tell the story of Hamilton and his relationship with Washington without including John Laurens. Laurens was probably Hamilton's closest friend and confidant (and...maybe lover? Weird history there). Washington trusted him a great deal as well. Dude was a congressman in his mid-20s and had he not stupidly charged a foraging party after the war was over, Laurens could've ascended to the Presidency at some point. And if you're going to include John Laurens, you pretty much have to mention his abolitionist tilt. It was a damn big deal to him which was pretty incredible as the son of a wealthy slaveholder. There's no easy way to side-step that without botching that story.

There's really little 'woke' about Hamilton...I mean, apart from casting minorities in every major role and putting white dudes in the 3 'nerdy guy' spots like it's a Martin Lawrence movie.

But as far as the storytelling goes, it's not heavy-handed at all. There are a couple of moments where they speak to Laurens and his efforts and creating a black regiment and/or freeing slaves (I mean c'mon - the used 'manumission' in a wrap...and it worked) but that's really about it. There's a couple of 'woman power' moments with the Schuyler sisters but even those come and go in a hurry and the one little obvious 'applause moment' with Hamilton and Lafayette saying "immigrants, they get the job done..."

But shit, it's a 2 hour and 45 minute long performance with MAAAAYBE 2 minutes of wokeness in it. I'd probably let that slide, but your mileage may vary.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.