Thread: Movies and TV Breaking Bad: The Movie
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #117
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I just have to disagree here. Not with the Keto diet, do the Keto diet for Christ sakes.

The central conflict, IMO, is very much between the character Jesse was and who he must become. That's why they spent so much time on the flashback, so as to establish as stark of contrast as possible to present day.

Much like BB isn't about the believably of making meth in an RV, a giant lab in a laundromat, laundering money through a car wash, or robbing a train, this isn't about how probable his escape from Albuquerque. Both stories are an examination of how characters respond to a set of circumstances.

That's what all this has been all along. Better Call Saul too.

In my opinion anyway.
What did we learn about Jesse in those flashbacks that we didn't already know? We knew he was a servile puppy dog who seemed desperate for any kind of mentor figure and who was shockingly easily manipulated. That was a 5 year character arc made obvious by the fact that he called Walter "Mr. White" through the end and was played like a fiddle all the way through.

What did I get from an hour burned watching Fat Jesse be weird or largely irrelevant dialogue with Jessica Jones? That was PURE fan service and did nothing to demonstrate his character either before or after. We KNEW his character. And it's not even all that believable that literally overnight he would become a completely different person (if he even was). That's why I suggested the time jump. The idea that you can discern luck from skill by it's duration applies here - this was all within like 72 hours of the end of BB - it tells us effectively nothing about the long-term outlook of Jesse Pinkman.

Even the brief scene with Mike was nothing more than the 'seed' that Gilligan had planted in a dozen interviews after the show's original run; yes, we knew Jesse was going to Alaska.

It was essentially fan fiction put on tape and far beneath the level of the storytelling I've come to expect from this crew.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.