View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #1602
MVP

Funny thing about bbq comps is that you can turn in the perfect product and get 7's and 8's, or turn in basically shit and get a call. Several years ago we were doing the now defunct Great American BBQ out at the old dog track in KCK. I was in charge of the chicken that year. I normally debone and brine my thighs, trim the skin (don't scrape it), then smoke and glaze finish them.
We stayed up way too late and drank way too much beer and rum. I didn't get up in time to get my chicken prepped. In fact, I only had about an hour until turn in. I grabbed some drumsticks I had brought to grill up for lunch. I put them in a plastic bag with my rub and shook it around, think shake and bake. They were totally crusted with rub, lol. Knowing I had no time to smoke them and get them done, I put a chimney of charcoal in the old weber kettle that we use to keep coals ready to load onto the smoker. I grilled them over high heat, turning them constantly. They developed a nice color and char. Then I sauced them and continued to turn them constantly, developing even more char and layers. I put them in the turn in box and we all laughed our asses off. Well, you guessed it, we got a call for chicken and a 9th place ribbon out of 212 teams.
I tried to replicate it the following year and ended up with middle of the pack scores. Must've just got the right table of dumbassed judges.
tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.