Old 06-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #70
left blank intentionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPodolak View Post
"Carouselambra" (John Bonham)
"Close to the Edge" (Bill Bruford)
and throw in "Rain" (Ringo Starr)

A rock drumming holy trinity.
Bonham's take on the Purdie shuffle in "Fool In The Rain" is some of the best drumming ever recorded. The combination of technique, taste, and control is something that any drummer should aspire to, plus it's just fun to listen to...

I sometimes think that the Danny Carey/Neil Peart style of drumming holds more interest for non-musicians/beginner-type drummers because it's flashier, it stands out more, so people think it's "better", just because they don't know any better.

When I was in Junior High, I thought Mitch Mitchell was the best drummer ever, and from 66-68, he was great. But then, in 69-70, he expanded his kit to a double bass and the drugs kind of took over, and he started sounding like sneakers in a dryer. Something 12 year old me would have never admitted.

Nowadays, I prefer the 'pocket' drummers. The guys with technique, taste, and control. I prefer Brain>Herb Alexander in Primus. Buddy Miles to Mitch Mitchell. It's a taste thing. Drummers who don't know when to shut up are annoying. I don't want to hear a drum solo in the context of a song.
rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.rabblerouser is obviously part of the inner Circle.