View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #200
The Maintenance Guy

We finally got out of the house yesterday for a road trip to Ledges State Park in Iowa. It's a very cool place, and if you drive down Canyon Road there you cross the creek 4 or 5 times along the way.

Also, a couple years back Iowanian talked about the "Freedom Rocks" in Iowa.

https://www.thefreedomrock.com/iowa-fr-tour/

Since then I've visited and photographed around a couple dozen of them, but somehow the original Freedom Rock, just outside of Des Moines, eluded me. First time I tried to visit it, it was just before Memorial Day and the guy who does them apparently repaints it every year for the holiday and when I arrived at it, it was plain white....

Next attempt was last summer, and it turns out the bridge 1/4 mile before it was being replaced. Undaunted, I tried several other routes to get to it but gave up after about 45 min because it was getting dark.

Yesterday, on the 3rd attempt, I finally saw it and was awed by it. Just amazing this guy can do this type of work on such an uneven surface. This one is also about twice as large as any of the others.

And lastly, 'cause I love me some bridge pics, a couple of the Kate Shelley High Bridge outside of Boone, IA.

Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.