Thread: Movies and TV Must Watch Series
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #985
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
I think of the comedy shows presently out there putting out new stuff, the best going are

You're the Worst
Bojack
Rick and Morty

[depending on how strong Always Sunny and Nathan for You come back in their new seasons]
It took me forever, but I'm finally at a crossroads on Bojack. Watched the first season way back when [^^look above^^, post from nearly 3 years ago], and worked through 2-5 during quarantine. Now I'm halfway through 6 and I'm torn. When I finish them, there's no more. But until I finish them I don't know how it ends.

Such a show, if anyone hasn't seen it, I can't imagine whom I wouldn't recommend it to. The animation lets it be jam-packed with references and jokes. The binge nature of Netflix lets it be both very serialized and still divert into one-off explorations. It's hopeful and despondent and humorous and dramatic and twisted and universal all at the same time.

For those unfamiliar, it's an animated show about a horse-person who starred in a 90s sitcom who is now nearing his 50s and dealing with everything the 'Hollywoo' [sic] lifestyle entails, the hedonism, the new-agey-ness, the substance abuse, the superficiality of friendships, the egoism, etc.

The first season is different tonally from the rest, but even though it's entertaining in it's own right, it's subtly setting up the narratives and stakes for everything to come.

This makes it, on a meta-level, very un-sitcom. The problems aren't solved by the end of an episode. Errors and faux pas are not forgotten or forgiven. Chickens [sometimes literally] come home to roost.

Check it out, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Baby Lee; 07-08-2020 at 06:00 PM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.