View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #141
Head Chief, Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Duncan's Top Prospects for 2020

Well, here it is. I'll switch into baseball mode, reluctantly, after the high of the Chiefs getting to the mountain top.

The Royals farm system is slowly building back up to the state it needs to be in. Good drafts in 2018 and 2019 (some might say a GREAT draft in 2018) have the system loading up. With a strong 2020 draft (more on that in a bit) and solid progression from current crop of farmhands, KC is primed to be back in top 10s-ville (rather than the mid-range current ranking) by this time next year.

Let's get to it.

Top 5
Spoiler!

6-10
Spoiler!

11-20
Spoiler!

2020 Draft Thoughts
The Royals again have a strong draft pool to work with in 2020, with 4 picks in the top 77 (4, 32, 41, 77) and will have the money to be creative and aggressive. At 4th overall, KC is probably out of range for the top college bat, Spencer Torkelson (Arizona State 1B/OF) who basically is Andrew Vaughn - but with better raw power and the ability to 'play' LF. This draft is deep in college arms (Emerson Hancock, Asa Lacy, Garrett Crochet), but there will be intriguing college bats (Vandy SS Austin Martin, UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell) available, too.

It's regarded as a pretty strong draft right now, so it's a good year to have picks and add premium upside to a system on the rise. The big target for me would be impact bats. KC's minor league system has good pitching depth. You always take the best guy on your board, but looking at KC's system, I'd take a bat over a similarly ranked pitcher this year (unless Hancock is there. If he is, they can't let him slip).
Great recap Duncan as always. What about Jonathan Bowlan? I thought he progressed really well last year...
AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AJKCFAN Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.