View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #277
Unsparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
Thing is, they didn't.

Not at the box office.

Not by the critics.

You can whine all you want but Disney is still cashing out and I'm guessing not only is IX going to do VERY well, it's going to set up X-XII and anticipation is going to be extremely high.
Let me give you the very quick breakdown of Disney's foray in to SW from a pop culture and critical perspective:

Epi 7

Fans( initial ): Yay! New SW movie! Gotta' go see it! / Super Awesome! Glad I came! Totally redeemed crappy prequels!
Fans( passage of time) : This really wasn't that great, characters kinda' weak, but decent set-up for next movie.

Box Office: $$$$$

Critics: Good popcorn fare, soft reboot, nothing exceptional.

Epi 8

Fans( initial ): Okay, let's get down to work! Rubber meets the road here, please kick our asses! / Fan 1: Okay, not what I expected, but that's good! Really unique and different take on SW, can't wait to see where this goes next! / Fan 2: Are you kidding me with this shit?!?!? Off to the Internet I go to RAGE!

Fans( passage of time ): Fan 1: I'm sticking to my initial assessment and will not be swayed by the thousands and thousands and thousands of fans who now hate this movie!
Fan 2: I have successfully RAGED on the Internet and have explained, in GREAT and painstaking detail to the fans, of why this movie sucks donkey shit, how Disney has betrayed us all and is killing SW, and how we will combat this atrocity!
Fan 3( formerly a Fan 1 ): I number in the mega-thousands and have seen the light of the Great and Wise Fan 2, and I too shall join in the fight of defeating this Evil Empire! I have overcompensated greatly in my desire to see Disney continue a great SW legacy, and will now atone for my blind, fanboi shame!

Box Office: $$$

Critics( initial ): This was the greatest SW evah! Completely subverted my expectations! Yeah, there was some cheesy stuff and Rose was not the greatest, but the way Luke Skywalker subverted my expectations was off the wall BOSS!
Critics( passage of time ): Can 70% of us have a re-do, please? Thx!

Epi 9

Fans( initial ): Fan 1 @ 25%: Still in it brah, can't WAIT to pre-order my ticket!( totally unnecessary ).
Fan 2 @ 75%: Not a chance in hell am I supporting this garbage. **** you JJ, KK, and MMouse right in your bleeding eyeballs!

Box Office: $$

Critics: Mother**** THIS. ( wet fart sound )
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote