Thread: Other Sports The Fishing Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #2750
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
I’m definitely wanting to do fly fishing in places like what you’ve posted in the mountains and valleys. I love getting in the water so no lake fishing. I’d probably do that up north if anything. I’ve fished Rocky Mountain National Park and really had to hike to get to good spots but those areas aren’t for camping and of course the fish are much smaller. But those were also just fishing while out there, not really fishing trips.

So in those pictures you posted are those guided? I’m certainly capable of managing on my own once in the general area so I don’t really feel like I need a guide, but is a guide more common? If I’m wanting to do a few day camping trip I assume that’s more on your own.
On smaller water, I usually just wing it.

Some of those places were big waters, so I fished with a guide for at least the first or second day. Getting a guide just literally saves time figuring out where to go, what the fish like, etc. On bigger rivers it can cut down immensely on the hunting around trying to figure the fish out thing. A big river can be as puzzling as a big lake.

Maybe the fish are hugging the banks, maybe they're hanging among the rocks 15 feet down in the main channel. I decided a long time ago i wasn't going to waste a lot of time trying to figure out where the fish were after driving 10+ hours, spending all that money, etc. I wanted to at least have some clues as to where and what to fish.

After a day with a guide I have all the info I need for the rest of my time there. Although on occasion I've retained the same guide twice on a trip. Or every time I visit that area. I've had guides that are just founts of information. Some where great instructors on everything from casting technique and mechanics to fly selection. And a couple have been just great story-tellers. A few have become great friends. And what's $300-$600 between friends?

But if you're not going to get a guide, you should talk to the local fly shop guys. Walk in, buy a few flies, maybe a net or some tippets/leaders, chat them up about the water conditions, etc. Sometimes you get lucky and some local customer will offer to show you around, or at least point you in the right direction about places to check out and/or flies that are probably working that week.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.