Thread: Movies and TV Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #184
Veteran

I always have a problem with courtroom episodes b/c I get nitpicky.

For example, I have a hard time getting past all of the common law questioning conventions, which suggests Una's defense lawyer is doing a ton of argumentative stuff in her direct questioning and the prosecution makes every objection but "argumentative."

Sigh.

Really cheezy, but actually understandable. Lets the defense soapbox their argument while keeping screen time down to move along the story. I'll accept it in this episode, since overall it's a pretty decent story and I can see why they do it. I guess we can handwave a bit and say that it's a Federation trial and doesn't use common law courtroom rules.

The other thing that drives me crazy is that the defense lawyer pins her whole trial strategy based on the guess that Una was the one that turned herself in. That's called a great way to lose a case, by gambling on a fact that you don't know before you question your own witness in court.

Guess we can chalk that up to plot twist drama but...still drives me nuts because the defense lawyer is supposed to be brilliant.

Now, I'll give them points for the writer clearly understanding element analysis in legal actions (which is how they end up resolving the case). Of course, the way that supposed Federation law is written is the court COULD find in Una's favor rather than being compelled to do so, but OK. Decent enough.

On to the next episode where I'm not going to be nitpicky and have as many problems with my suspension of disbelief. Being the dork that keeps saying "he's got it up his sleeve" to the stage magician, isn't really all that fun.
JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.