View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #1007
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Refs have influence over the outcome of games.

That's a "no-shit". That's prevalent in any sport with a ref as the nature of it is subjective in itself. Anytime something is subjective you're going to have errors, inconsistency and outcomes that people disagree with

What's in question is the WHY and HOW.

The problem people like you have is the complete lack of consistency in these views and you can never competently defend them. Like, ever.

I do believe that refs are told to look for certain things in games. They're instructed by higher-ups to watch Team A as they often commit X-type of penalty.

Teams have input on such things. Certain coaches like BB are known for sending tape into league offices complaining about certain teams getting away with certain things.

Several years ago during the Alex Smith era i recall (IIRC, Mike Tomlin) openly complaining about the Chiefs getting away with so many rub-routes. If you think he didn't complain to the league about that before the game, you're kidding yourself.

Steven Nelson, for example, has a league wide reputation for being grabby. So why would anyone be surprised that refs are paying extra close attention to Steven Nelson grabbing onto receivers and getting called for it over and over again?

I do believe that refs are also told to lay off on penalties as well and at times, let players play. We've seen examples of "let them play" in the playoffs on a yearly basis. All of a sudden things that were penalties in the regular season aren't in the playoffs.

During last season's SB run, i made note several times during the playoffs that the Refs were letting the Chiefs DB's play physical and graby. BECAUSE THEY WERE.

Not one off you mother****ers seemed to have noticed or cared.

I even said in teh SB preview thread that the Chiefs should continue letting their DB's get grabby. I SAID that they would get penalized. I SAID that the Chiefs should keep being physical anyway.

So when the game starts and the refs come out with a twitchy trigger finger looking for DPI's, no one should've been surprised.

The refs spent two ****ing weeks studying, and being told that the Chiefs DB's are grabby. Lo and behold, they're getting flagged just like i said they would.
I'm actually very consistent in my views, because it's really quite simple. When the league office wants a game called a certain way, then it is. It's not even really that conspiratorial. New York gets with the refs before these games and tells them what they want called & not called. They're not going out there saying "We want Tampa to win, so call PI." They just steer officials to make calls that will help dictate the results they want to see. The officials, as NFL employees, just do their jobs.

Obviously these guys aren't sitting in a dark room in cloaks, rubbing their hands together and scheming another Tom Brady world championship run.
Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Wisconsin_Chief 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote