Thread: Computers External Video Card Help
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 09:03 PM   #11
Sometimes it's black and white

Short answer:

It seems to be working after some trouble shooting with the PSU.

Long answer:

Everything that draws power is plugged into the same power strip that I turn on so things should basically get power at the same time.

I plugged the 16 extender cable in into the available slot. The cable does twist out of the opening in the back of the computer so I can close the lid normally. I'm a little nervous about the strain on the cables, but I'll guess we will see.

Plugged the external video card to the other end of the cable. Plugged the power PCI whatever thingy to the video card, switched over the display port to the video card...

Took a deep breath, turned everything on...

Black screen.

It didn't look like the computer recognized there was a video card plugged in. Switched the DP back directly to the desktop and got a signal from the old 630.

Hhmm, nothing appeared to be happening with the video card. No lights, and no motion from the fan. Does the fan not run until it gets hot? Or should it run immediately?

Hhmm, the PSU doesn't appear to do anything. It doesn't appear to have any light to let you know that it is on. Should the fan on the PSU run immediately, or only after it gets hot?

Hoo boy. I'm not thrilled messing with this.

YouTube 'is my PSU bad?'

So you can run a paper clip between the third and fourth pin on the motherboard power supply to check if the PSU works. Hey, when I do that, the fan turns on. Not only does the fan turn on, but now my voltmeter shows that the PCI power supply for the video card now has voltage.

Great, so all I have to do is leave a paper clip to short out the motherboard power supply cable in order to make the video card power supply cable hot.

I kid not.

Hook shit back.

Hey, PSU fan on. Check.

Video card fan on. Check.

Video signal from video card when I turn the computer on. CHECK. CHECK. CHECK.

So far, it appears to be working great.

NVIDIA drivers automatically installed. Check.

Time to break out the Rye.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.