View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #38
Settle this once and forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I think the best takeaway is that the list shows how important it is to be top 10 in points for and points against if you're going to be a SB champion. The NYG being, of course, the biggest statistical anomaly overall in their two wins.

I mean, you'd think it would go without saying that you have to score and hold teams to not scoring (a true duh moment), but you'd think there'd be more average outputs that won it. Most of these teams are solidly in the top 10 in both and many in the top 5.

It is a bit surprising, though it makes perfect sense.

I wonder how the numbers would look if you included the final four teams from each year's championship games.. I'd bet we'd get a great deal more variation but still drive home the point of needing a balanced squad to win it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Looking at that list, it’s interesting that the 2009 Saints aren’t getting any attention. Also, LOL at the 2011 Giants with a negative points differential.

In my defense, those were dark times for Chiefs fans. I pretty much tuned out of the NFL from 07-09.

The only reason I mentioned the 08 Steelers defense is because I happened across some stats on them a few years ago. That defense only gave up 3.9 yards per play! That is in-****ing-sane. For reference, the 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos defenses gave up closer to 4.5 YPP.

But yes, that 09 Saints team was generally an outlier with that strong O and weak D. Interestingly, it was that big INT by Tracy Porter that truly sealed the deal for them.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.