Thread: Music Tool
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #50
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
I hate RHCP too.

But the slap/pop style is just far too awesome, and he's really ****ing good at it. He's not my favorite, but from a technique standpoint it's far more difficult to get right than just fingering it, or playing with a pick.

I fiddle around with my bass (i have 3) when i get bored. I'm far from a musician by any means, im just a bored guy with a couple of electric basses and some practice amps. I sit in front of YouTube watching Bass Covers w/tabs as i play along to my favorite songs.

And while playing Tool's 46 & 2 sounds great to my ears, it's nowhere near as complicated as trying to (and failing horribly) at replicating some of those Flea tabs.

And while i like Fieldy's sound better, the amount of notes and technique required to replicate a Korn bass cover just isn't as complicated as a Flea RHCP cover.

If i had to pick one bassist i wish i could emulate, it'd be Ryan Martinie.

I know Les Claypool is the default answer for Slap/Pop bass, and im certainly in awe when i watch/listen to him, im just not big into Primus or his sound.
I mean, I don’t think slap bass is really much more difficult than fingerpicking, it’s just different. I don’t think just because one plays a slap style that they are better than someone who doesn’t by default. Great players incorporate all kinds of styles. Look at a guy like John Myung who certainly wouldn’t be known as a slap player and tell me with a straight face that he isn’t a significantly more technically advanced player than Flea.

Further, I don’t think Flea brings anything new or interesting to slap bass playing anyway. It’s just that most people who listen to RHCP don’t listen to a much real funk where slap bass is more popular. Take Victor Wooten, another guy who I wouldn’t pigeonhole as a slap player, but his slap play is leagues ahead of Flea.

I think the problem is that people who are genuinely virtuoso level players on their instruments, aren’t going to be players in popular bands. The kind of music that interests a virtuoso isn’t the kind of music that interest average Joe. Take The Aristocrats for example. Incredible playing that 99% of people will never hear.

Last edited by Third Eye; 06-04-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli