View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #158
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
My bad. I was thinking the run scored on the error.

So being fortunate means that he didn't pitch like an ace? The Cardinals had base runners on first outside the 1st inning when they scored their only run, a bunt by Wainwright for the 2nd out to get Bader to 2nd, and the 5th when Scherzer was taken out after he just struck out O'Neil.

Where is the fortune? The Cardinals had 2 legitimate threats of scoring when Scherzer was on the mound through the 5th and none were nearly as dangerous as when the Dodgers failed to score with the bases loaded and 1 out with Trea Turner at the plate.

There was a 70% chance of ending the first only giving up the 1 run. There was a 80% chance of getting out of the 3rd not giving up a run, which is why a lot of managers dont sacrifice bunt any more, why Shildt chose to do that instead of attempt to steal second with Bader I will never know. And once Scherzer struck out O'Neil in the 5th there was a 60% chance of getting out of that inning with 0 runs scored. Arguably the only fortunate moment of the night was getting out of the 5th with 0 runs scored.

My guess is that if you told Scherzer pre game that you were giving him the ball in a win or go home game, and he was going to give you 4 1/3 without a single clean inning, but you were gonna win the game anyway, he would immediately start thanking his teammates.

Anyway, as I said, the W is all that matters. On to the next round. We'll see how it plays out.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.