Thread: Food and Drink Anyone have an Air Fryer
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #141
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
I've done both ways not much difference other than time. Honestly, a couple of minutes on defrost in the microwave will save you some time in the air fryer.
Over time, you get a feel for how quickly the convection moves through food.

The key is thickness, particularly with meats/proteins.

Wings and bone-in pork chops are usually fine freezer-->done in the fryer, same for a hamburger if you like it med-rare in the middle.

Something like big chicken breasts or center-cut thick pork chops need a defrost at the beginning or a heat up at the end or it'll be done on the outside and still lukewarm in the middle.

Air fryer and microwave are a good combo, because air fryers crisp quickly and efficiently, and microwaves heat all-over quickly and efficiently. So you can kind of fine tune how much time you spend heating the inside or crisping the outside.

Also, a probe thermo is useful for thick meats. I regularly find those long pork tenderloin products [sometimes marinated, sometimes bacon-wrapped, etc] as a good deal, then I section them at 1" thick planks, enough for a single serving. Since I section them frozen, they keep their portion of the bacon or marinade with each serving. Then I jab the probe in and air-fry along with some form of potatoes or squash or asparagus etc, next to it on the rack [in oven bags to keep the butter/spices from making a mess]. When the probe hits safe for pork level ~145, most everything is done to perfection.

Thicker than 7/8-1" on pork loin frozen, and you'll need to microwave a minute or two at the end to make sure the inside is temp-safe.

Last edited by Baby Lee; 01-01-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote