Thread: Life The bee keeper diaries
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #127
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspchief View Post
Very interesting stuff. I have to say I'm surprised at how often you guys appear to get stung. I would have figured gear and technique would practically eliminate that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The truth is we don't get stung that often. I've had more trips with nothing bad happening.

Usually when we get stung it's during cutouts when we are cutting into their homes and tearing out comb by comb. The gear is good and saves you most of the time. Maybe I'm too rammy and not calm enough, maybe I don't use enough smoke to calm them down. A lot of people don't use gear at all, but I've gotten my ass kicked about every time I've been near them.

Usually everything is fine and you're taking your gear off and one hits you in the face when you take the net off, or one is behind your leg and you squat or sit on them in the truck seat. A lot of times it's on the neck when you work over your head....if you get stung through a suit it's usually from pinching them.

Other times I'm sure it's dumb things....moving too fast, getting cocky in a hot day when they are grumpy and taking your hats off near the hives and sipping a beer....that's how my brother took one to the lip....they don't like beer.

I'm not s pro and I'm sure I make mistakes. Usually I just tell people that bees are a good judge of character as proven by them coming for my face every time I get near a hive with no net. It's a fact that they come after some people more than others. It's either because they think my manly smell is bad, im ugly or I'm so macho they think I'm a grizly bear. I'd go with ugly since you've seen me.

Though the gloves is usually a half sting...small bite. Truth is, Most of them don't hurt too bad....the end of the nose is the worst place I've found so far, but I don't pee near the hives.

Last edited by Iowanian; 09-05-2017 at 09:00 AM..
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.