Thread: Movies and TV Top 10 favorite films of the 2010s?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #106
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets View Post
2. Knives Out (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
Knives Out I'm going to see at 3pm on $5 Tuesday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets View Post
Prepare to add it to your list!
Finally saw Knives Out.

It was competent, but fluff.
It was fun. I'm not disparaging it.

But I spent more time reassembling the pastiche of other movies, novels, and network drama episodes it sampled to cobble together the narrative than being bowled over by anything approached Best of Decade.

I can't place it, but I have a distinct memory of it. The central conceit of why, . . . OK let me be circumspect and oblique here to avoid spoilers. . . .

The central narrative conceit that made the blackmail evidence actually completely exculpatory, with the help of a little bit of extrapolation, was directly lifted from an existing narrative.

OK< at this point I can't get any more detailed without spoiling, but I'll try to minimize even behind the spoiler tag. . .

Spoiler!

So clear to me, that I can't get past the mental way station that it must have happened in a Law and Order episode, but it probably happened in something else. Thing is I remember the exposition regarding it being nearly identical.

So now, even after it's over, I'm thinking more about where I've seen that narrative before than the movie itself.

Last edited by Baby Lee; 02-08-2020 at 12:16 AM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.