View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #374
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrunner View Post
Here is a pretty good argument for those that want the Chiefs name changed. This is from a website supporting that:

[I][Chief - This is a word that is commonly given as a nickname which incorrectly labels Native American men. The term 'chief' itself is incorrect. American Indian leaders were never 'chiefs', but headmen, or clan mothers, and so on. Not 'chiefs'. Native leaders were highly disrespected by the USA. So calling someone 'Chief', is just a way to continue that disrespect. Trust us when we tell you, being called 'chief' carries with it the same insulting, belittling sting for a Native man as being called 'boy' does for African American men/I]
Thanks for posting that. There is no good argument for keeping the name. Over the years the organization has associated it with imagery that locks native people in time as brutal savages, an image they have long struggled to overcome. That's not honorific. For some reason we've always thought it ok to caricature native people.

It's not political correctness to want to see the name changed. It's a matter of treating fellow citizens with respect. In this case, citizens who were pushed off their land and subjected to genocide. I hope the team changes the name and goes one step further by donating to organizations that work on behalf of native people.
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli