View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #811
MVP

Don't know if I'll be around much for a while so I'm going to post this right away...

I come into this offseason with a serious need to add upper-echelon talents to the defensive line and depth at LB, CB, and WR.

Draft capital includes an extra 2nd round pick from the Dee Ford trade but no 6th or 7th round picks due to trading for Darron Lee and Jordan Lucas, leaving me with 1-32, 2-63, 2-64, 3-96, 4-138, and 5-177.

I made the decision not to do a pre-draft trade, which may be a blessing in disguise at this point. In any event, I will make an in-draft trade down sending my 3rd round pick #96 to the Chicago Bears for their 4th round pick #125, 5th round pick #163, and 7th round pick #226. The 96th pick is valued at 116 points and has a discounted value of 75.4 points. The Bears picks are worth 47, 26.2, and 1 point respectively, adding up to 74.2 points.

I don't accept the Chiefs trade of a 2021 6th for 7th round #237.

With that, here's the Superior Yetis Draft:

1-32 - DT Ross Blacklock, TCU (6'3" 290, HOU #40)
I had my eyes fixated on taking Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., or Brandon Aiyuk early on but doing so would put me in a difficult spot to get impact defensive tackles that I desperately need. Blacklock is a penetrating defensive lineman that can consistently push the pocket and make plays and was widely regarded as the 3rd rated defensive tackle in this draft. In the actual NFL, Blacklock should be an immediate starter at 3-4 DE opposite JJ Watt which should bode well for my team going forward.

2-63 (f/SF) - LB Logan Wilson, Wyoming (6'2" 241, CIN #65)
Unlike the Chiefs, I'm not hinging my hopes and prayers at LB to a guy that isn't smart and hasn't produced on the field. Instead, I'm going with a guy that has had outstanding production and a player most analysts have called the most complete linebacker in this draft. This isn't necessarily an immediate need with Damien Wilson, Anthony Hitchens, and Cole Holcomb all starters, but improving over Hitchens and Wilson in the final year of his contract are certainly the biggest consideration here.

2-64 - DT Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M (6'3" 293, BAL #71)
After spending a 3rd round pick on Harrison Phillips at DT in 2018, he had a stellar rookie season only to tear his ACL early in 2019 and miss the year. I expected to have him back at least as a strong rotational player but the signings of Quinton Jefferson and Vernon Butler this offseason by the Bills has me concerned about Phillips so I basically have to find two starters in this draft. I'm going to bring in one of Mel Kiper's favorites here in Madubuike who may not start in 2020 and may marinate behind Derek Wolfe (1-year deal), but he should be in the mix immediately and become a starter in 2021 to, hopefully, give me outstanding bookends for my defensive front. Between Madubuike and Blacklock I should have myself a penetrating defensive front that can make plays.

4-125 (f/CHI) - WR Gabriel Davis, Central Florida (6'2" 216, BUF #128)
I have an obvious need at WR after Tyler Boyd and Sammy Watkins with a practice squad bandit in Cody Thompson, a current free agent in Rashad Higgins, and a roster bubble guy in Olabisi Johnson rounding out my corps, plus Watkins is a free agent after 2020. Davis is a guy that has an opportunity to immediately become a #3 receiver and eventually much more as he develops. This is a guy that can come in and push the field vertically as well as be a matchup problem as a big-bodied possession type but he will have to develop his route tree and route-running ability.

4-138 - CB L'Jarius Sneed, Louisiana Tech (6'0" 192, KC #138)
I had to go into this thing thinking about CB because my depth behind Breeland (on a 1-year deal) and Byron Murphy consists of Holton Hill and he may only be a 4th corner. Like the Chiefs, I was high on Sneed coming into this. I think Sneed projects as a CB on the next level and I think that's where KC will look to play him, but he also can be an interchangeable piece in the secondary and provide you with different looks. Sneed comes with alot of speed and is physical in the route, which I really think is something needed in a division now loaded with speed receivers.

5-163 (f/CHI) - ER Curtis Weaver, Boise State (6'2" 265, MIA #164)
When I originally made the trade down, my eyes were initially on another Boise State player, WR John Hightower. The problem is that Hightower is going to an extremely crowded receiver room and his career trajectory comes into question. Weaver is a guy, where you have to listen to Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah and agree that college sack production usually translates to the pro game and Weaver has it in spades. This isn't a guy that looks like he's a 34 sack guy, but he's got some good athleticism, multiple moves, and he bends at the top of his arc well. I think you put this guy into an NFL strength and conditioning program and they'll mold this kid's body and strength and he could be a sneaky good player in Miami's 3-4 as a stand-up edge rusher. I'm not hurting for pass rushers, but this is a guy I feel like is a day 2 pick that fell and is too good of a value.

5-177 - WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan (6'2" 212, CLE #187)
I needed to come into this draft probably looking for two receivers and preferably one early, but I'm coming out with both of them late. I just can't come out of this with only one receiver and have to hedge my bets. I'm hinging hopes to Peoples-Jones who I really like as an athlete and traits-based guy. He's an explosive player that can do a lot of things but he's not consistent. He should have a great opportunity in Cleveland to put himself into the #3 role behind Landry and Beckham, Jr, and eventually become more should Cleveland unlock his incredible potential.

7-226 (f/CHI) - CB Thakarius "Bopete" Keyes, Tulane (6'1" 202, KC #237)
My CB room is depleted as noted in the Sneed pick, so going after multiple guys there is important. I really liked Keyes as a sleeper prospect and was thrilled when the Chiefs moved a 2021 6th for the rights to snag him in the 7th. I don't have to make the same move here, having a perfectly slotted pick from my trade down to take him a bit earlier. Keyes is another in-your-face CB with size and athleticism that may help the secondary moving forward.

Preliminary Roster (add UDFAs later)

Spoiler!

Last edited by kccrow; 04-27-2020 at 07:48 AM..
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.