View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
So how will the signing bonus portion of the new contract work with respect to the salary cap?

For starters, I am assuming that this is an extension, which means if it is a 5 year extension, Mahomes is under contract for the next 7 years. Correct?

Since $65 million is the current largest signing bonus, I will use $70 million for this example, as it makes the math work easier.

Is the $70 million spread out over 7 years, as I am assuming he gets the $70 million this summer and not in 2 years, for a hit of $10 million per year?

Or is the $70 million only spread out over the 5 years of the extension, at $14 million per year, starting 2 years from now?

Hope this all makes sense.
Using jared Goff as an example since he signed an extension before his 4th year and after his 5th year option had been picked up.

He had his signing bonus spread out over 5 years even though his extension took him out to a total of 6 years. And he had extra signing bonus money on the first year I'm assuming it was the remainder of his guaranteed salary from his rookie deal.

So I think the signing bonus money can be spread out over the full length starting from the year he signs.
tyecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli